Jump to content

1s on 1s...will Miami bully us again?


Recommended Posts

My question is this. When lined up toe-to-toe, can we keep Miami from moving us off the LOS on both sides of the ball?  I'm tired of playing them in the preseason. In the vanilla schemes, their size seems to show up more than our quickness. I want to see Poe put the center back in the QBs lap just once!

I don't need the "it's preseason" lecture. I get it. That said, I remember them pushing us around two straight preseason games. I would prefer not to see that again. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SkerFalcon8710 said:

Remember when everyone melted down over Beasley getting owned and repeatedly trying the spin move? How'd that work out for us? Everyone labeled him a bust lol

Still not as sold on Beasley as everyone else. I think he is a great all around player. He can drop in coverage and he can play the run. He is an excellent spy. That said, he's not the one-on-one pass rusher who beats everyone on the first step like this board thinks he is. We schemed him free by design. The inside loop was our go to move to get him to the QB last season. Excellent spy technique helped the sack total as well.

One on one with the better tackles, he's still a ballerina. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Still not as sold on Beasley as everyone else. I think he is a great all around player. He can drop in coverage and he can play the run. He is an excellent spy. That said, he's not the one-on-one pass rusher who beats everyone on the first step like this board thinks he is. We schemed him free by design. The inside loop was our go to move to get him to the QB last season. Excellent spy technique helped the sack total as well.

One on one with the better tackles, he's still a ballerina. 

I actually think you have it backwards.   Beasley is a great passrusher but is somewhat of a 'one-trick' pony as he lacks making plays/tackles in the rushing game - that is what separated Von Miller and Khalil Mack from Beasley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Hard to say. I think we'll see our O-line hold up a little better now that they've had a full season working together unlike last preseason, but these games are so vanilla that any kind of take away from their performance has to be taken with a grain of salt. I will say Wake and Suh are no joke though, so we'll see. 

I agree. Last year, in particular, was ugly. However, we also manly pass blocking and didn't do much zone blocking at all. We were in "don't show anything" mode. That said...the old schooler in me cringes at being blown completely off the ball. I want 'em to pop someone in the chops!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, g-dawg said:

I actually think you have it backwards.   Beasley is a great passrusher but is somewhat of a 'one-trick' pony as he lacks making plays/tackles in the rushing game - that is what separated Von Miller and Khalil Mack from Beasley.

I've been watching a lot of tape. Without the end tackle loop game, he's 5 sacks down already. That was the bread an butter last year. That said, your take is clearly the party line. It is totally possible I have it wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I actually think you have it backwards.   Beasley is a great passrusher but is somewhat of a 'one-trick' pony as he lacks making plays/tackles in the rushing game - that is what separated Von Miller and Khalil Mack from Beasley.

To further clarify. I am not saying he can't rush. I'm just saying hes more of a 8-10 sack guy than the guy who will be going for the league lead every year. He's not LT. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, falcndave said:

My question is this. When lined up toe-to-toe, can we keep Miami from moving us off the LOS on both sides of the ball?  I'm tired of playing them in the preseason. In the vanilla schemes, their size seems to show up more than our quickness. I want to see Poe put the center back in the QBs lap just once!

I don't need the "it's preseason" lecture. I get it. That said, I remember them pushing us around two straight preseason games. I would prefer not to see that again. 

Counterpoint: Who gives a ****?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, falcndave said:

To further clarify. I am not saying he can't rush. I'm just saying hes more of a 8-10 sack guy than the guy who will be going for the league lead every year. He's not LT. 

So we're just discrediting sacks bc they came off stunts? that logic is astounding, let's make sure we go do that for every player in the league. You should be crediting coaching for maximizing his strengths which is speed and agility. Nobody said he was a powerhouse bullrusher. Keep in mind last yr was year 2... YEAR 2. But it's cool keep moving the goal posts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, falcndave said:

My question is this. When lined up toe-to-toe, can we keep Miami from moving us off the LOS on both sides of the ball?  I'm tired of playing them in the preseason. In the vanilla schemes, their size seems to show up more than our quickness. I want to see Poe put the center back in the QBs lap just once!

I don't need the "it's preseason" lecture. I get it. That said, I remember them pushing us around two straight preseason games. I would prefer not to see that again. 

Wait until regular season when we play them.   The thing is - I'd rather them push us around than have someone get hurt (knock on wood) in preseason.   Plus - we play them in the regular season - they are not showing them a thing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not worried about what Miami can bring tomorrow night.  I just want to see what kind of depth we truly have on the roster.  We know the first teamers will go at it in the first quarter.  Offense working on timing and with Sark-Nado getting their deal going.  Defense gets to work on gelling and then after that, we're looking to see what we have depth-wise on both sides of the ball.  As long as we're up maybe 10 or 14-0 after the first team leaves the field, I'm not too concerned.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, CantonFan said:

I mainly remember Matt throwing 2 or 3 incompletions in the opening drive, and people just losing their minds! I think he managed to pull it together in the regular season, tho.

Yea, I'd say he did alright in the regular season. I'm not an expert but I'd say he did ok

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, falcndave said:

To further clarify. I am not saying he can't rush. I'm just saying hes more of a 8-10 sack guy than the guy who will be going for the league lead every year. He's not LT. 

So your point is that Beasley wasn't LT like in year two? Well, neither was LT. LT didnt hit double digit sacks til year 4.

Folks expectations of players now a days seems off. The guy has 19.5 career sacks in two seasons. Even if you took 5 from his total he'd still be right there with LT's total after 3 seasons. 

He's on a very good career arc at the moment. Lets keep watching before we say what he is or isnt. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

Wait until regular season when we play them.   The thing is - I'd rather them push us around than have someone get hurt (knock on wood) in preseason.   Plus - we play them in the regular season - they are not showing them a thing!

Yep...health over style points.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

So your point is that Beasley wasn't LT like in year two? Well, neither was LT. LT didnt hit double digit sacks til year 4.

Folks expectations of players now a days seems off. The guy has 19.5 career sacks in two seasons. Even if you took 5 from his total he'd still be right there with LT's total after 3 seasons. 

He's on a very good career arc at the moment. Lets keep watching before we say what he is or isnt. 

My point is he won't average 14 sacks a year. Not in year 3...not in year 6. Year in, year out, you are looking at 8-10 sacks. I frankly liked him in the spy roll vs Rodgers, Newton, and Wilson. That is a spot where I think he has unique value. They think they can't get to the edge...but no, its a strip sack. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, falconfansince66 said:

Not worried about what Miami can bring tomorrow night.  I just want to see what kind of depth we truly have on the roster.  We know the first teamers will go at it in the first quarter.  Offense working on timing and with Sark-Nado getting their deal going.  Defense gets to work on gelling and then after that, we're looking to see what we have depth-wise on both sides of the ball.  As long as we're up maybe 10 or 14-0 after the first team leaves the field, I'm not too concerned.  

The depth on the roster is pretty good in places where it was really thin two years ago.  You'll be watching Kazee running around in the 3rd quarter and you'll be yelling at Quinn to get him off the field before he gets hurt. 

I want to see how Harlow looks. OL depth would be a really cool thing to have. I know nothing about him. Haven't heard much out of camp. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...