Top 10 Devonta Freeman plays of 2016

D.B.N.

7 minutes ago, Jerz said:

Anybody else ever wonder why on that first offensive play of the SB where Free breaks off that big run, he doesn't just keeping running outside for extra yards but instead he runs right into Malcom Butler?

I seriously have wondered that every time I watch it but just never bother to care after watching the rest of the game.  He was going to be run down but had he stayed outside he probably gets another 10-15 yards.

8 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I seriously have wondered that every time I watch it but just never bother to care after watching the rest of the game.  He was going to be run down but had he stayed outside he probably gets another 10-15 yards.

Agreed, I can only speculate, but his style is 'counter' and it works for him a lot of the time.  So he was moving to the right side of the field. Butler and the other guy were coming off blocks to his left so they were pushing to the right.  By pushing back into them to his left (them pushing right) he had a chance of them over playing and he under cutting them and taking it the distance.  Obviously they get ahold of him and brought him down, but that one cut back to the left, could have sprung him to the endzone.  

If you look earlier in the play when he's about 2-3 yards from the first down yellow line, the LB #50 is coming from the right (backside of the play) with another guy coming from the right. Free takes one step right and squeezes through the gap causing #50 to overplay from right to left and missing the tackle and taking out his fellow defender.  

Free reminds me of watching MV7 run the ball.  He has a great natural sense of angles and understands how to setup guys for the best angle with a stutter step or a hard plant and go.  When it looks like he's gonna get tackled, he cuts the angle and uses the defenders momentum and approach against them.  Kind like watching a Martial Arts master sidestep an attacker and throw them to the ground without little to no visible effort.  

Everybody was Kung Fu Fighting

2 hours ago, Monolith2001 said:

I hate to think about what could have been but that play just makes me cringe every time. I wish I had a different view of the field because I'm curious of how wide open that side was. Richard's post makes the most sense from whatever I could come up with though.