Jalen Collins will not be immediately released according to DQ

gazoo

He will play in preseason according to DQ. 

It could be we could package a trade for him. He's got good game, he's got talent, speed, length, ballhawking skills as well as can lay a serious hit on a ball carrier. He messed Winston up after getting a good shot on him.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear ya, but if he is that good why is he using PEDs repeatedly and other players that are as good are not? So maybe it's just that they are not getting caught and Collins is not as bright as them or just maybe a guy who we took a chance on after multiple failed drug tests in college actually just has a drug problem. 

Either way, I'm a little confused (and tired) by this whole situation concerning Collins really.

As I understand it...

1. he doesn't count against the 53 man roster while suspended

2. Cutting him only saves about $300k in cap space (saw this posted earlier today, so I am only assuming it's true).

3. Dude can play and by November, we may need another CB due to injuries.  

Besides the fact you're mad at him... why cut him?  What value does that bring to the team?  ($300k?  that's nothing in the NFL)

He definitely helped us get to the SB last year after Tru went down.  I think it comes down to whether DQ and TD feel he really is remorseful and committed to the team or if he will continue to be a problem or distraction.  

God forbid two or three CBs go down by week-10 and we release him to send a message when he could make up for it and apologize to his brothers on the field instead.  

22 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

As I understand it...

2. Cutting him only saves about $300k in cap space (saw this posted earlier today, so I am only assuming it's true).

Besides the fact you're mad at him... why cut him?  What value does that bring to the team?  ($300k?  that's nothing in the NFL)

Okay so I guess I'm not confused anymore thanks...

...but yea I'm still mad tho lol

49 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

As I understand it...

Yepper... Might as well hold on to him for the remainder of the season and then make a decision on him moving forward in the off season.

Edited by Ezekiel 25:17

28 minutes ago, RichardCNile said:

As I understand it...

4. He does not cost the Falcons a dime while on suspension..........  Cutting him now makes no sense to me...........

Going from the Brady example, I remember Brady could play last preseason but it was like the guy was dead for 4 weeks after preseason ended.

I suspect that Collins will have an even tougher time as he cannot even call team members for support.  I agree the suspension is justified for Collins, but even in most basic rehab training for drug patients they always emphasize communication for the addict so that they do not go into withdrawal.

From Brady do/don'ts last year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/08/30/heres-what-tom-brady-cannot-do-while-hes-suspended/

Because the last thing anyone wants to see is Deflategate being dragged out by a mistake, NFL rules command that Brady SIMPLY MUST NOT:

• Attend or watch practice.
  • Show up at the Patriots’ facility.
  • Have any contact with any team personnel.
  • Exchange game plans, playbooks, plays or videos on any electronic device.
  • Engage in football-related activities or discussions with teammates, even away from the facility. This would include workouts, running drills and the line.
  • Go to the stadium as a spectator or travel to road games.
  • Attend press conferences (which is the real tragedy because all Patriots personnel love those).

probably keep him around to see how the season plays out. we have a couple guys in the wings besides collins, if they play well it probably does not bode well for collins being in the long term plans. this is the second time he has hurt the team. not sure how many chances he gets.

1 hour ago, RichardCNile said:

As I understand it...

Many of our fans just don't think that way.  You are correct, what do we have to gain by cutting him loose and getting nothing in return? Of course he would be worth something to us if we had an injury to a starter or to a team who is weak at CB that looks to make the playoffs this year. Collins would have several weeks to learn the defense and could really help a team in playoffs .

After having thought about this, I'd be surprised if DQ put him on the active roster for any game this season - no matter how dire a situation we may face.  6 gameday inactives and whatever post-season games...IMO, I think it would be tough to talk about 'Brotherhood' and simply give the man a role on the 2017 Falcons given how he let the organization down.  But Brotherhood also means being there for a brother in a time of need.

The carrot I'd have for him would be to show up for work every day and compete for a roster spot in 2018 given that it would be his contract year...the Falcons have clearly committed to Trufant/Alford so Collins essentially has to take of his business the right way as a baseline to simply have an opportunity to have a career and earn the trust back of any organization that might be attracted to him in FA in 2019.