Training camp wired: Dontari Poe

Notice how quickly the pocket is shoved into the QBs spot almost every play. This is going to be an interesting year for the defense. They either double POe or Grady and one gets good push while the Ends are ending up in the QB spot. You can't quick release forever without increased risk of INT

23 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

I don't think we have enough to keep either in that case.

Extending Matt and Jake will eat up a significant portion of the cap, and who knows how they end up feeling about Hageman.

I think they'll find a way to keep both Freeman and Gabriel. Jake has been ok, but he really hasn't been that solid for us, especially last year with all of those penalties. So we'll see how his upcoming season goes. They might end up letting Hageman walk too.

10 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

I think they'll find a way to keep both Freeman and Gabriel. Jake has been ok, but he really hasn't been that solid for us, especially last year with all of those penalties. So we'll see how his upcoming season goes. They might end up letting Hageman walk too.

I think you underestimate how difficult it is to find even a decent left tackle, much less one who has had stretches of being pretty d@mn good.

We are going to put a higher premium on keeping Jake than any of the three other players you mentioned.

And I am beginning to doubt that we would let both Poe and Hageman walk, given we didn't draft a DT at all this year.

If Poe can regain his early career form playing at a lower weight, it's obvious we go after him. At 10 million a pop, which he will ask for, that becomes a much harder sell.

If Hageman can be kept for something closer to 5 per, he might make more sense for our team financially. That is, if he plays hard. If he plays hard, his physical ability with continue to show flashes of being dominant, which will secure him a future here.

If he doesn't play hard, with new, very bright coaches and with it being his contract year on top of that, he doesn't have the mentality we respect on this team and he's long gone.

Hageman is ball or bust, but if he balls, he is the cheaper option to avoid our team being gored out in the heart of our defense.

2 hours ago, FalconAge said:

If we can't sign Free, I think we either make a hard run at keeping Poe or Gabriel

Gabriel is good but whether for free or someone else's extension he wouldn't get retained in my opinion. Can't be too hard to find someone specialized as a 'speedster'..

17 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Gabriel is good but whether for free or someone else's extension he wouldn't get retained in my opinion. Can't be too hard to find someone specialized as a 'speedster'..

He has speed, route-running, and even blocks with the strength of a much larger player.

His open field agility/quickness is something that is very valuable in the NFL, he is much more than just a "speedster"

42 minutes ago, FalconAge said:

He has speed, route-running, and even blocks with the strength of a much larger player.

His open field agility/quickness is something that is very valuable in the NFL, he is much more than just a "speedster"

Which I agree but his specialty to me for our offense is the speedster. We have so many receivers with hands, route running and other attributes that are being groomed that putting money towards a 3rd receiver vs a kog like Poe or jake/beez extension to me wouldn't be smart 

Edited by Dirtybird3

31 minutes ago, Dirtybird3 said:

Which I agree but his specialty to me for our offense is the speedster. We have so many receivers with hands, route running and other attributes that are being groomed that putting money towards a 3rd receiver vs a kog like Poe or jake/beez extension to me wouldn't be smart 

Jake is a given imo. Gabriel vs Poe would come down to money as Tdot will cost several million fewer than Poe, and adds a crucial x-factor to Matts Ryan's arsenal.

Im not saying WR3 is more important than NT, but value vs price will play a big role in all our decisions.

Both of these discussions go out the window with a major contract for Freeman though.

1 hour ago, FalconAge said:

I think you underestimate how difficult it is to find even a decent left tackle, much less one who has had stretches of being pretty d@mn good.

We are going to put a higher premium on keeping Jake than any of the three other players you mentioned.

And I am beginning to doubt that we would let both Poe and Hageman walk, given we didn't draft a DT at all this year.

If Poe can regain his early career form playing at a lower weight, it's obvious we go after him. At 10 million a pop, which he will ask for, that becomes a much harder sell.

If Hageman can be kept for something closer to 5 per, he might make more sense for our team financially. That is, if he plays hard. If he plays hard, his physical ability with continue to show flashes of being dominant, which will secure him a future here.

If he doesn't play hard, with new, very bright coaches and with it being his contract year on top of that, he doesn't have the mentality we respect on this team and he's long gone.

Hageman is ball or bust, but if he balls, he is the cheaper option to avoid our team being gored out in the heart of our defense.

Ehh. Like I said, we'll see what type of season Jake has. I think people underestimate a lot of positions. Prime example, running back. Just as hard as it can be for a team to find a decent tackle, it can be just as hard for a team to find a decent rb. We have one in Freeman, yet there are some fans that talk as if the production he brings can be easily replaced. I do think that there should be a limit to what we pay him, but I would never scoff at Freeman and just act like he can be easily replaced in the draft. I think the only positions that you can easily find talent are safties, TE, and maybe LB and WR.

13 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Ehh. Like I said, we'll see what type of season Jake has. I think people underestimate a lot of positions. Prime example, running back. Just as hard as it can be for a team to find a decent tackle, it can be just as hard for a team to find a decent rb. We have one in Freeman, yet there are some fans that talk as if the production he brings can be easily replaced. I do think that there should be a limit to what we pay him, but I would never scoff at Freeman and just act like he can be easily replaced in the draft. I think the only positions that you can easily find talent are safties, TE, and maybe LB and WR.

I disagree with the last part. I think there are NO positions where you can easily find talent, as guys in every position bust in the top rounds all the time. Runningback is the one position, however, that translates the best from college to the NFL. Physical ability gets you further at that spot than any other in the NFL, and that is easier to gauge in prospects than the cerebral aspects of other positions.

Cb is close after, but the stakes are much higher for a bad play at cb than at rb.

3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Extending Matt and Jake will eat up a significant portion of the cap, and who knows how they end up feeling about Hageman.

I think we def have enough money to keep who we want next year. The cap for the Falcons is set up pretty well for the future

3 hours ago, FalconAge said:

Matt is going to have to take a " Brady" discount. That's all to it. DQ and TD, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

54 minutes ago, Flying Falcon said:

Matt is going to have to take a " Brady" discount. That's all to it. DQ and TD, MAKE IT HAPPEN.

Matt doesn't have to do anything lol. Tom Brady is the only one who plays on a discount and his wife makes more than twice his salary.

Even then, I suspect a significant quid pro quo, going beyond that of his nutrition company's contract with the team.