D line is crazy deep!

Right now we have a 10 man, yes 10 man DL rotation going on. I never knew it was this deep and the depth is just insane. You have Beasley although he's listed as an OLB he'll have his hand in the dirt rushing the passer. Reed, Hageman, Shelby, Upshaw, Poe, Crawford, Jarrett, Takk and Clayborn. I mean, what is it gonna look like on game days? Who will be active/inactive? Will it depend on the game plan and who we're playing? I'm just so pumped to see what this line does this year. Chicago, you're victim #1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Said it before, but Quinn got us to the SB way too early. We were not this deep on defense last year. Not even close. Our starters played well enough to take us to the dance, and could (should) have won it! Now DQ has restocked the shelves with what I'm hoping are real quality players on both sides of the ball. If they show out in preseason, don't be surprised if other teams start pouching players. 

Our DL depth chart is likely something like this:

BASE: (~300 snaps)

LEO/7T: Clayborn (150) | Reed (100) | McKinley (50)
WDT/3T: Jarrett (150) | Upshaw (150)
NT/1T: Poe (150) | Hageman (150)
SDE/5T: Crawford (150) | Shelby (150)
SAM/9T: Campbell (250) | Beasley (50)

NICKEL: (~600 snaps)

RDE/9T: McKinley (400) | Clayborn (200)
RDT/4iT: Jarrett (400) | Shelby (150) | Upshaw (50)
LDT/4iT: Poe (300) | Hageman (150) | Crawford (150)
LDE/9T: Beasley (500) | Reed (100)

NASCAR: (~100 snaps)

RDE/9T: McKinley (100)
RDT/4iT: Clayborn (100)
LDT/4iT: Shelby (100)
LDE/9T: Beasley (100)

It's actually an 11 man rotation when we include Campbell in at SAM in the base package.  He will get some pass rushing snaps as a result of this, so he should be lumped in with the DL too.

41 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

True story bro. Would love for the OP to list the accomplishments of each one of them as DLinemen and compare them to those on other teams. Hard for me to get excited about paper depth. Not the case with most here.

Seems like it's hard for you to get excited about the Falcons period, "buddy" 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Some of those guys haven't done jacksht in the NFL as DLinemen. Should they be counted as depth? If so, just about every team in the NFL is deep as hail on the Dline.

I feel with the penatration style we have the lineman we have do better. Upshaw got some sacks at key times last year and when we signed him people said he would not be good for pass rush. Upshaw is no slouch. Poe will have more pressures as he and Grady share the load at NT. 

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Some of those guys haven't done jacksht in the NFL as DLinemen. Should they be counted as depth? If so, just about every team in the NFL is deep as hail on the Dline.

This is the deepest defensive line the Falcons have ever had. Some don't have the stats...but as for talent and players whose strengths fit Quinn's attacking style, I don't see how anyone can't be excited about this group.

1 hour ago, OilFuturesTrader19 said:

This is the deepest defensive line the Falcons have ever had. Some don't have the stats...but as for talent and players whose strengths fit Quinn's attacking style, I don't see how anyone can't be excited about this group.

Oh I will be excited when they beat some as. So far they haven't so it's just paper depth which doesn't excite me.

12 minutes ago, ParanoidAndroid said:

The thing that worries me most about this season is not the d line but the depth at Oline.  I worry that could potentially derail the season. 

There are plenty of questions on the O-line to be sure. If someone goes down, I wonder if guys like Harlow and Knapp can step up considering they are rooks. It's enough of a concern that DQ is trying to convert DJ from a TE to an O-lineman.

Sheesh. I wish Smitty would have left us SOME O-line depth during his tenure.

Edited by BoomGoesTheDynamite

45 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Some nice rushes here...  Note Campbell with the late spin to force a hold.  Looks quick.

To me it looks like the Dline got handled in that drill. The QB is sliding but I don't see anybody really affecting him. 91 and 95 blew by someone but not many others. Campbell looked awful on one of his rushes. But he's counted as "depth"? OK.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Oh I will be excited when they beat some as. So far they haven't so it's just paper depth which doesn't excite me.

What exactly do you mean? Are you saying because they all haven't played together collectively you're holding off on your excitement? Because I think every single member of our DL has proven that they can play at a competitive level, at the very least. The only unknown is Takk. Everyone else has shown to be good to exceptional.

3 minutes ago, fed up !!! said:

Anyone  know  why  there's  an inactive list for games?

I know  its' an NFL rule, but what is the reasoning behind it?

I  mean, now that we got some players it would be nice to see coach sending them .. in waves !

I wonder the same thing. 53 man roster and only 46 can be active on Game day. It stinks because at least 1 of our DLinemen will be inactive on Gamedays just like last year Upshaw/Hageman alternated basically until injuries.

I assume it is for injuries. Basically a quasi Disabled list and to limit a competitive advantage. It's not unusual for all 7 inactives to be injured one week, so you don't want one team 53 strong against another with only 46 healthy bodies.

I wish they would expand the active rosters and allow for a 2-3 week injured list and allow teams to bring up a PS player. I think they are allowing teams to bring 2 back from IR at least this year.

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

To me it looks like the Dline got handled in that drill. The QB is sliding but I don't see anybody really affecting him. 91 blew by someone but not many others. Campbell looked awful on one of his rushes. But he's counted as "depth"? OK.

I do hope you understand the purpose of this drill is to evaluate methodology not outcome.  They aren't really trying to sack the QB and as such you will not see guys doing a ton after their initial rush unless they just completely fake out or overwhelm their man at the point of attack.

2 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I do hope you understand the purpose of this drill is to evaluate methodology not outcome.  They aren't really trying to sack the QB and as such you will not see guys doing a ton after their initial rush unless they just completely fake out or overwhelm their man at the point of attack.

Buddy said we had some nice rushes here. One maybe two? I think the Oline looked better.

All those guys, except Takk, have shown an ability to be disruptive, affect QBs, play the run, etc in this league. Obviously they aren't all All Pros but it is a deep group capable of being very effective.

It is a big step up from C. Matthews, Massaquoi, Maponga, Goodman, and other guys we use to run out there recently.