Happy 40th Birthday Tom Brady?

All I am hearing today is how great it is that Tom Brady is turning 40.  If he was any other QB, fans would be screaming that he needs to be retired and replaced, teams would be trying to hide his age, and the press would be giving the team no chance of winning with that old a QB.

The guy has been super for many years and he obviously just won the Superbowl.  It also seems to be a crime to dare suggest that he is not the greatest active QB in the world.  And, every early ranking has Brady and the Patriots as #1 no matter what other changes have occurred to the team.

However, at some point the guy has to show signs of age.  They have a pretty good backup QB who has played a few good games but is he going to truly play at Tom's level if elevated to starter.  Are the Patriots really about to have the floor absolutely collapse on them soon when Brady does show his age?

There seems to be little optimism that the Falcons could actually go to New England in mid-season and win there, but is it possible that Tom Brady might be playing at a less-than-normal level year?  Could the Patriots actually be a mediocre team this year?

Is Tom Brady going to still be great at 40? 41? 42?  When does age hit him?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well......... It's not that hard to believe that Brady is still going strong so far @ age 40.

He takes good care of himself and doesn't get hit as much. Brady also hasn't had any injuries over his career that could diminish his longevity. Peyton would probably still be playing if he had not suffered nerve damage.

24 minutes ago, I give lengthy responses said:

Belichick is the force that drives this team, not Brady. Remember, this team was 3-1 without Brady this year and 11-5 in 2008 with Matt Cassel. So even when Brady does finally retire, they'll go from being the best team in the league to still being one of the best teams in the league.

Haha... you actually speak the truth.  The organization as a whole can sustain success without Brady.  Might not be obvious AFC East champs or AFCCG contenders every year (definitely unlikely) but they will still be a decent team that will have a winning record at the end of the season.

I always mention one thing about the 2008 season.  11-5 is a great finish, any team would be happy with that.  But I think that number makes it appear that Brady isn't as valuable to the team as most would argue.  Remember, he went 16-0 the year prior.  The end result was still great, but what do you think the record would have been if Brady didn't get hurt?  I think most people don't realize... if you have a good team that finishes 11-5 every year, and your QB goes down and you end up with a 6-10 record, it makes it appear that your QB is more valuable because of your end result, however you still lost 5 more game than usual.  Just my random $0.02 lol.  

1 hour ago, jlrfalcon said:

All I am hearing today is how great it is that Tom Brady is turning 40.  If he was any other QB, fans would be screaming that he needs to be retired and replaced, teams would be trying to hide his age, and the press would be giving the team no chance of winning with that old a QB.

The guy has been super for many years and he obviously just won the Superbowl.  It also seems to be a crime to dare suggest that he is not the greatest active QB in the world.  And, every early ranking has Brady and the Patriots as #1 no matter what other changes have occurred to the team.

However, at some point the guy has to show signs of age.  They have a pretty good backup QB who has played a few good games but is he going to truly play at Tom's level if elevated to starter.  Are the Patriots really about to have the floor absolutely collapse on them soon when Brady does show his age?

There seems to be little optimism that the Falcons could actually go to New England in mid-season and win there, but is it possible that Tom Brady might be playing at a less-than-normal level year?  Could the Patriots actually be a mediocre team this year?

Is Tom Brady going to still be great at 40? 41? 42?  When does age hit him?

Personally its a bit overkill with the publicity he gets on his age and health. This is the brand that he has built with nutrition, which is clearly successful, but even I think its just too much.  If he stays healthy, really who knows?   As a pats fan, I say a couple years if he doesn't get injured.  He says he wants to play for another 5.  Any realist Pats fan should be skeptical of that.  

What people don't realize is that Brady trains on how to get hit, how to fall, etc.  A lot of QB injuries happen when running or trying to avoid a sack.  Brady has been criticized for years now for getting hit easily or not being elusive.  As a fan, ****... i'd rather deal with a 7 yard loss instead of a career ending injury and I think BB/TB12 argee.  The risk isn't worth the reward. However due to his style of play (take an easy sack, get the ball out quick to avoid hits) age will be kinder to him than most QB's in the past.  Although his long ball has actually improved over the years, Brady's gift isn't his athleticism or arm strength which are effected by age, its his wisdom which age has no effect on.  

5 minutes ago, JOEinPHX said:

One fanbase is celebrating.  Thirty-one others are puking in their mouth.

If you really want to puke, they legit have baby goats at their practice today.  While I find it funny (who doesn't find a baby goat hilarious?) ... this is silly crap that I don't care to see them doing.  The patriots haven't exactly had a great week with practice, I don't care about TB's bday or freakin goats running about pewping everywhere.  

3 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

Nutrition is so important. I can personally vouch for the nutrition plan he is on, I do the same thing (minus all the expensive ingredients he uses) and I feel great almost all the time. He takes care of himself

Its just not the same.  You need $50 almonds to sustain life.  Please reconsider your diet plan lol  (seriously have you seen how expensive his crap is???) 

1 minute ago, dozenoysters said:

Its just not the same.  You need $50 almonds to sustain life.  Please reconsider your diet plan lol  (seriously have you seen how expensive his crap is???) 

That's what I'm saying though, you can eat like he does minus all the expensive ingredients. 

You're basically eating a lower carb, higher fat diet and cutting out sugars and grains. Its really not complicated, he can just afford all the premium ingredients and dishes. You don't have to make millions a year (God knows I don't) to have great nutrition. 

2 minutes ago, A Dog Named Brian said:

That's what I'm saying though, you can eat like he does minus all the expensive ingredients. 

You're basically eating a lower carb, higher fat diet and cutting out sugars and grains. Its really not complicated, he can just afford all the premium ingredients and dishes. You don't have to make millions a year (God knows I don't) to have great nutrition. 

No I agree... i was just crackin on what he actually sells.  Like... no one needs TB12 almonds.  Trader Joe's has the same exact thing for $8/lb rofl.  Wait do you make avocado ice cream too? :D

37 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Stockholm syndrome?

Actually, I do wonder if Brady's (and NE's) success may be largely psychological.  Teams and fans are so convinced of the Pats' and Brady's invincibility that they just immediately accept a win is impossible against them.  As much as the SB loss was physical it was mental as the Falcons and their coaches seemed overwhelmed for the last quarter.

For the Falcons, I just hope they go into NE on a winning streak and with no thoughts of the SB loss and with no "fear" of playing there and against them.

Also:

Link

Tom Brady Will Be Bad Eventually

Maybe even this year.

By Ty Schalter

Filed under NFL

It’s Tom Brady’s 40th birthday, and the New England Patriots quarterback has without a doubt earned himself a heaping bowl of avocado ice cream. Brady has been one of the greatest quarterbacks ever and is playing at an age when few football players are still putting on pads, let alone producing at an elite level.

Brady is coming off his second-best statistical season ever1 and arguably his greatest on-field achievement. Brady finished the 2016 regular season among the top three in nearly every major quarterback rate stat: touchdown rate, interception rate, yards per attempt, passer rating, ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating and adjusted net yards per attempt. He finished the playoffs with the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history.

It may appear that Brady is football’s Benjamin Button — a QB magically getting younger as he gets older. But it’s Brady’s commitment to hard work that’s the most likely source of his longevity. The offseason has been filled with stories about Brady’s anti-aging regimen, with everyone from Sports Illustrated’s Greg Bishopto All-Pro teammate Rob Gronkowski trying Brady’s self-care regimen. Brady even has a forthcoming book on how to replicate his age-defying performance.

But despite Brady’s unwavering intent to demolish both the AFC East and time, it’s reasonable to ask how much longer he can keep this up.

Brady’s 2016 season didn’t just stand out from the rest of the NFL — it towered over his own recent campaigns. Compared with his other recent seasons, 2016 almost looks like an aberration:

:

schalter-brady-0803-1.png?quality=90&str

Before the start of the 2015 season, Brady seemed to be on the decline; his rate stats in 2013 and 2014 were the worst since he first achieved All-Pro status in 2007. “Worst” is relative: Over this stretch, he was good enough to earn four Pro Bowl nods, four division titles and a Super Bowl win.

Brady’s numbers improved in 2015 and then skyrocketed in 2016 — but his overall 2015 numbers don’t tell the complete story. In that season, his production started off significantly better than the previous two seasons, but he wasn’t able to sustain it:

RECOMMENDED

Wait, The Cubs Won The Trade Deadline?

Happy birthday, Tom.

JOHN TLUMACKI / THE BOSTON GLOBE VIA GETTY IMAGES

AUG. 3, 2017 AT 4:12 PM

Tom Brady Will Be Bad Eventually

Maybe even this year.

By Ty Schalter

Filed under NFL

It’s Tom Brady’s 40th birthday, and the New England Patriots quarterback has without a doubt earned himself a heaping bowl of avocado ice cream. Brady has been one of the greatest quarterbacks ever and is playing at an age when few football players are still putting on pads, let alone producing at an elite level.

Brady is coming off his second-best statistical season ever1 and arguably his greatest on-field achievement. Brady finished the 2016 regular season among the top three in nearly every major quarterback rate stat: touchdown rate, interception rate, yards per attempt, passer rating, ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating and adjusted net yards per attempt. He finished the playoffs with the biggest comeback in Super Bowl history.

It may appear that Brady is football’s Benjamin Button — a QB magically getting younger as he gets older. But it’s Brady’s commitment to hard work that’s the most likely source of his longevity. The offseason has been filled with stories about Brady’s anti-aging regimen, with everyone from Sports Illustrated’s Greg Bishopto All-Pro teammate Rob Gronkowski trying Brady’s self-care regimen. Brady even has a forthcoming book on how to replicate his age-defying performance.

But despite Brady’s unwavering intent to demolish both the AFC East and time, it’s reasonable to ask how much longer he can keep this up.

Brady’s 2016 season didn’t just stand out from the rest of the NFL — it towered over his own recent campaigns. Compared with his other recent seasons, 2016 almost looks like an aberration:

Before the start of the 2015 season, Brady seemed to be on the decline; his rate stats in 2013 and 2014 were the worst since he first achieved All-Pro status in 2007. “Worst” is relative: Over this stretch, he was good enough to earn four Pro Bowl nods, four division titles and a Super Bowl win.

Brady’s numbers improved in 2015 and then skyrocketed in 2016 — but his overall 2015 numbers don’t tell the complete story. In that season, his production started off significantly better than the previous two seasons, but he wasn’t able to sustain it:

The drop-off in his level of play over the last month of 2015 was unmistakable, and it carried into the playoffs. His two-interception, four-sack, 56.4-rated passing performance in the AFC championship game was one of the worst playoff outings of his career.2

Unlike in 2015, Brady may have looked sharp late in the 2016 postseason because he had fewer games on the odometer — and not by his choosing. His Deflategate-related suspension for the first four games of the 2016 season not only served as a rallying cry for the entire Patriots organization, but also spared his body and arm from a month of bumps, bruises and repetitions.

This season, Brady will have no such early-season sabbatical. He’ll be facing players who were born while he was in college at the University of Michigan. Thriving at his age in the NFL is certainly rare — but it’s not unprecedented. Warren Moon, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning all had a dominant season at or near age 40. But all three experienced a sudden decline in performance, as if a switch had been flipped on their ability:

The other graybeards had a rapid decline

Warren Moon, Brett Favre and Peyton Manning had great seasons between the ages 39-41 after which their stats fell

LAST HURRAH SEASONREST OF CAREER

YEARAGEANY/APASSER RATINGRECORDANY/APASSER RATING

Warren Moon1997415.8583.74-74.6974.7

Brett Favre2009407.61107.25-84.5769.9

Peyton Manning2014397.68101.57-24.5267.9

ANY/A is adjusted net yards per pass attempt; regular season only

SOURCE: FOOTBALL-REFERENCE.COM

New England seems intent on helping Brady replicate his 2016 season. This offseason, the team traded for speedy wideout Brandin Cooksto bolster the Brady arsenal. Patriots owner Robert Kraft compared the impact of this spring’s trade for Cooks to the team’s acquistion of Randy Moss in 2007. That deal sparked the greatest statistical season of Brady’s career. Some experts are projecting the Patriots to go undefeated, as they did after Moss arrived.

There are a lot of reasons to believe Brady will stay excellent, from his self-care regimen to the talent around him to perhaps the best head coach in NFL history. But Favre and Manning were both playing their best football immediately before playing their worst.

Brady picking up at age 40 where he left off at age 39? That would be unprecedented.

4 hours ago, dozenoysters said:

Haha... you actually speak the truth.  The organization as a whole can sustain success without Brady.  Might not be obvious AFC East champs or AFCCG contenders every year (definitely unlikely) but they will still be a decent team that will have a winning record at the end of the season.

I always mention one thing about the 2008 season.  11-5 is a great finish, any team would be happy with that.  But I think that number makes it appear that Brady isn't as valuable to the team as most would argue.  Remember, he went 16-0 the year prior.  The end result was still great, but what do you think the record would have been if Brady didn't get hurt?  I think most people don't realize... if you have a good team that finishes 11-5 every year, and your QB goes down and you end up with a 6-10 record, it makes it appear that your QB is more valuable because of your end result, however you still lost 5 more game than usual.  Just my random $0.02 lol.  

Yes, NE went 11-5 in 2008. However, they only beat 3 teams with a winning record. Cassel also had Randy Moss and Wes Welker to throw to.

Also, Garoppolo is a very good QB (we assume). He's the only QB Belichick has ever drafted to replace Brady. We saw how well he played last year, albeit in 6 quarters. Kyle Shanahan had Jimmy G as the 2nd best QB in his draft, just behind Carr. He's going to be a really good player someday. If Brady were to get hurt, the feeling is that NE would still have a great chance to still go to the SB. 

The bottom line is that Brady would thrive wherever he played. Not 5 Lombardis, but HOF level. More than once NE has been in an AFCCG they had no business playing in. Once with Reche Caldwell as his leading receiver. Belichick got the Browns to the playoffs! That Browns team was poised to go places, other than Baltimore... Both TB and BB are the best ever.

The question on the minds of all 32 teams is how long will Brady continue to play? He was a top 3 QB last year at age 39.