Ryan vs. Rodgers

I bought my annual Lindy's pre-season magazine and was surprised to see that Ryan is ahead of Rodgers for career passing yards.  

Ryan is 21st All-Time:  37,701                  

Rodgers is 23rd All Time:  36,827

If he remains healthy for another 6-7 years, Ryan is going to end his career with statistics only a handful of quarterbacks in the history of football can claim.

Once we finish our redemption tour and win Super Bowl 52, Ryan automatically becomes a Hall of Fame player.  And if he avoids injury, he likely gets in on the 1st ballot.  It would awesome if he and JJ went in the same year, but I suspect JJ retires 3-4 years earlier than Ryan.

Edited by Falconsin2012

17 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I was surprised to see the yardage too. It's a great accomplishment. I then looked at TDs....Rodgers is ridiculous man. 

Rodgers is a beast.  An all-time great. I am not saying Ryan is a better quarterback because IMO he is not.  But if Ryan wins a title and remains healthy, I suspect their careers will look quite similar when its all said and done.

Rodgers spent first 3 years of his career on the bench behind Favre, and has missed more games than Ryan has. They've actually played the same amount of games, although Rodgers subbed for Favre a few times and has started 7 fewer games.

Next year, Ryan should hit 40,000 yards, which will leave only 15 players who have ever thrown more yards. 13 of those 15 are either HOFers or active- the two that aren't are Testeverde & Bledsoe.

30 Passing TDs would put him at 16th all time on that list.

No one has thrown more yards his first 9 years than Ryan, only Peyton has thrown more TDs first 9 years.

Barring, as always, injury, We're watching a HOF QB mid career.

1 hour ago, Falconsin2012 said:

Rodgers is a beast.  An all-time great. I am not saying Ryan is a better quarterback because IMO he is not.  But if Ryan wins a title and remains healthy, I suspect their careers will look quite similar when its all said and done.

Their career trajectories are starting to even out. Rodgers is plateauing while Ryan is trending upwards. Rodgers peaked in 2011, Ryan is still ascending. Granted, you can't really get any better than 2011 Rodgers.

Matt Ryan's a great quarterback. No doubt about that, and he should be considered one of the elites.

Aaron Rodgers is on a whole other level. He gets these insane stats AND he makes one of the NFL's worst receiving corps into something that appears decent on paper. I really think he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of this generation.

5 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Matt Ryan's a great quarterback. No doubt about that, and he should be considered one of the elites.

Aaron Rodgers is on a whole other level. He gets these insane stats AND he makes one of the NFL's worst receiving corps into something that appears decent on paper. I really think he is one of the greatest quarterbacks of this generation.

Rodgers most definitely is...and Ryan, though not flashy, is making his case to be one of the best quarterbacks of his generation.  And I suspect that 2017 will only further solidify his case.

14 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Devante Adams is one of the worst receiving corps? 

Before that it was Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb, and Jermichael Finley.

This isn't even an exaggeration, it's a flat out lie.

36 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Devante Adams is one of the worst receiving corps? 

Before that it was Greg Jennings, Donald Driver, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Randall Cobb, and Jermichael Finley.

Agreed, Rodgers always had some fairly decent weapons.  However the difference with Rodgers vs anyone else in the league is his arm strength and pinpoint accuracy under any physical conditions.  Run right, run left, forward, sideways, throw off your back foot, throw off of no feet, doesn't matter.... he just puts the ball where it needs to be every single time.  Ryan is similar, and that through to JJ in SB51 was very Aaron Rodgers like.... but Rodgers is on a completely different level when it comes to under pressure off balance completions.  He is the most physically gifted QB in the NFL in terms of throwing accuracy.  

Edited by dozenoysters

51 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2017/film-room-jared-cook

Jordy Nelson coming off his ACL did not look like his 2014 dominant self. He was not elite last year.

Lol at even mentioning Adams. Rodgers made him look good, and it's not even close.

This particular twitter thread highlights a lot of Rodger's struggles with his WR corps, and how it's a miracle he pulled off what he did:

1 hour ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Exactly. In what world has Rodgers ever had a bad reciever? Even his running back is a good reciever lol.

Also where is Ryans credit for taking a guy cut by CLEVELAND and making him relevant? Sanu was let go by Cincinnati and he also had a career year. Is it safe to say we have a qb who makes his receivers better too? 

18 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

I'll concede that Rodgers is better than Ryan, but he's not on a "whole other level". The top 4 or 5 NFL QBs are all around the same level.

2 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2017/film-room-jared-cook

Jordy Nelson coming off his ACL did not look like his 2014 dominant self. He was not elite last year.

Lol at even mentioning Adams. Rodgers made him look good, and it's not even close.

This particular twitter thread highlights a lot of Rodger's struggles with his WR corps, and how it's a miracle he pulled off what he did:

arod.0.gif

Freaking Packers WRs. Great throw, even better catch. Davante Adams.

1 hour ago, JermareATL said:

I'll concede that Rodgers is better than Ryan, but he's not on a "whole other level". The top 4 or 5 NFL QBs are all around the same level.

Brady is the only QB who has been on a "whole other level" especially considering his great play into his 40's....Rodgers one SB appearance (7 years ago and counting) doesn't earn him that status in my book.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Brady is the only QB who has been on a "whole other level" especially considering his great play into his 40's....Rodgers one SB appearance (7 years ago and counting) doesn't earn him that status in my book.

Patriots always had a good defense that helped Brady to the big game. Green Bay not much at all.

9 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Patriots always had a good defense that helped Brady to the big game. Green Bay not much at all.

That's just more anti-Brady myth you and many others have bought into.

New England hasn't had a great defense in many many years. Bend but don't break Good defense yes, great defense no.

2 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

arod.0.gif

Freaking Packers WRs. Great throw, even better catch. Davante Adams.

And here's Davante Adams forfeiting six touchdown passes from perfect passes. For context, only three quarterbacks last year lost more than six TDs to receiver error all season long.

GIF

But tell me again how Adams is this amazing receiver making Aaron Rodgers look good instead of the other way around.

Edited by SamMills51

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

I have to disagree Rodgers is right up there with him. What he did last year was unbelievable. Rodgers is the only QB in the leauge who could pull off what he did last season. 

2 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

And here's Davante Adams forfeiting six touchdown passes from perfect passes. For context, only three quarterbacks last year lost more than six TDs to receiver error all season long.

GIF

But tell me again how Adams is this amazing receiver making Aaron Rodgers look good instead of the other way around.

If not good, why is he still on their team? Or even in league?

21 hours ago, SamMills51 said:

I agree, Ryan is great but Aaron is next level.  These guys are similar in age as well since Rodgers was like 21 when he came to NFL and Matt was almost 23.

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

If not good, why is he still on their team? Or even in league?

Why was Ted Ginn our number 1 wide receiver in 2015? How did guys like Brown, Cotchery, and Bersin make an impact during Cam's 2015 run?

Just like Cam made those receivers look good with good protection, Aaron Rodgers made his look good. Simple as that.

30 minutes ago, Bobby.Digital said:

I have to disagree Rodgers is right up there with him. What he did last year was unbelievable. Rodgers is the only QB in the leauge who could pull off what he did last season. 

What was so unbelievable about it? He got hot 2nd half of year, but was pretty meh 1st half. Nothing that amazing to me. Ryan/Brady maybe even Brees had better overall season.

im not saying Rodgers isn't an elite QB, of course he is, probably best QB in league right now... but he's got a long way to go to be in Brady's class career wise. 

21 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

Why was Ted Ginn our number 1 wide receiver in 2015? How did guys like Brown, Cotchery, and Bersin make an impact during Cam's 2015 run?

Just like Cam made those receivers look good with good protection, Aaron Rodgers made his look good. Simple as that.

Oh my....Did you just compare Cam to Rodgers?