Phillips Arena Renovation

4 minutes ago, uga_falcons_braves said:

Sounds good but who's on the roster again? They can try and enhance the fan experience all they want, but at the end of the day the fans still want to see a winning product. Otherwise, you're going to have a fan experience mostly comprised of your opponents' fan base. And that's not a recipe for long term success.

Exactly.

40 minutes ago, uga_falcons_braves said:

Sounds good but who's on the roster again? They can try and enhance the fan experience all they want, but at the end of the day the fans still want to see a winning product. Otherwise, you're going to have a fan experience mostly comprised of your opponents' fan base. And that's not a recipe for long term success.

Not so sure about that.  When we had the best record in the east a few years back, it took FOREVER for fans to get on board.  Regular weekday games were still fairly empty for a team that good.  It's like the chicken or the egg.  Do winning teams allow us to get nice facilities or do nice facilities bring free agents that help teams win. 

Either way, at least they are doing something.  Hawks are in a tough spot with the roster.  Let's give the new GM a few years to build something.  It will all come down to how we play next year's monster free agent class.

Edited by ParanoidAndroid

The Hawks made the playoffs for 10 straight years and were in the bottom 5 in attendance. Yet Atlanta is one of the top markets for the NBA Finals? Why is that?

Perhaps it's because the Hawks don't have a star. So they're blowing it up to try to go get one in the draft since free agents don't wanna come here. 

ATL has proven that if you build it, they will come. Granted, the fan base as a whole will never compare to the likes of NYK, LA or Boston, because the city is too transient for that, but ppl will turn out. You are correct, ATL fans do have a history of being sorta nonchalant and uninspired in their fandom, but we still love a winner and will show up for one too.

Edited by uga_falcons_braves

57 minutes ago, uga_falcons_braves said:

They got what's his name and ole boy

3 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

This news is MONTHS old.  Also, shouldn't this be in Talk About the Hawks?  Looking forward to the new scoreboard and having more open walkways in the arena, but the more Dbag additions (barber shop) seem gimmicky as ****.

Excuse me for just now seeing this news. Also, the video was posted to YouTube on June 29th. So, 1 month and 3 days ago. Also, don't have a cow about it.

4 hours ago, uga_falcons_braves said:

Thank you! Please Mr. Blank take over this dumpster fire. And the Braves too, while you're at it.

He tried to buy the Braves when they came up for sale. The previous owner refused to sell them to him, b/c they didn't want him having a monopoly on Atlanta pro sports IIRC.

Blank would absolutely buy them if they were for sale and the owner agreed to the purchase. He's been clear that he wants to bring Championships (back) to the City of Atlanta in all Pro sports. 

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

He tried to buy the Braves when they came up for sale. The previous owner refused to sell them to him, b/c they didn't want him having a monopoly on Atlanta pro sports IIRC.

Blank would absolutely buy them if they were for sale and the owner agreed to the purchase. He's been clear that he wants to bring Championships (back) to the City of Atlanta in all Pro sports. 

Nope. That's not what happened at all. Blank absolutely was gonna buy the Braves from Time Warner but refused to pay the price that Time Warner for the Braves. Blank said it wasn't worth it.

That's when Time Warner then did the stupid tax cut sale to Liberty Media.

1 hour ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Probably should have posted this in Talk about the Atlanta Hawks. It is still active.

I didn't post it there because I don't post there and I didn't think enough people would actually see it. I actually looked in that forum and it looks like those there are few and far between.

13 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Nope. That's not what happened at all. Blank absolutely was gonna buy the Braves from Time Warner but refused to pay the price that Time Warner for the Braves. Blank said it wasn't worth it.

That's when Time Warner then did the stupid tax cut sale to Liberty Media.

Sad. AB was probably what the Braves needed. Hawks too.

13 minutes ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I didn't post it there because I don't post there and I didn't think enough people would actually see it. I actually looked in that forum and it looks like those there are few and far between.

Yeah I'm glad you didn't post it there because this is news to me. But too bad the Hawks are spiraling back into mediocrity this renovation looks amazing.

6 hours ago, Statick said:

Get ready for at least two or three years of crap Hawks basketball.

That new GM is banking on very high draft picks over that span. Hope he has luck with that strategy.

They are banking on the 2019 free agency class.  If the plan works, the Hawks will have the power to sign two Max contracts during that off-season.  If they draft wisely, they will have the necessary support staff for two stars to chase a championship.  

1 minute ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

Sad. AB was probably what the Braves needed. Hawks too.

Well the thing about it is that Liberty Media hasn't been so bad. In fact, they basically have nothing to do with the team. The Braves front office people make all the decisions about payroll and such and then they take their figures to Liberty Media and Media just signs off on it.