Dunkirk...no spoilers, great movie.

I'm going to purposefully be vague here because I think that I (inadvertently) watched this movie the best way possible.

Quick backstory - a friend suggested a movie tonight.  Okay...I was thinking Guardians 2, but he mentioned Dunkirk.  Some of his friends said it was a great.  Whatever, I'll go.  

I didn't have time to look into it, let alone watch any trailers or read any reviews.  I literally had no idea what the movie was about.  Was it a romance?  Not likely given my friend's preferences in movies.  Maybe an action hero movie?  It could have been a Disney flick for all I knew.  I just showed up at the theater, sat down, and watched it cold.  And I think that's the best way to watch this if you don't know anything about the story already.  This is NOT a movie that I would have chosen on my own (I'm not a fan of the genre, honestly) and I'm very happy that I didn't know what it was until I was in the theater.  

So the brief review:  Great movie.  I've never seen a movie produced like this nor have I ever seen a story told in this way.  My personal view is that it's brilliant.  And that's all I'm going to say about the details.

With one exception for people with a military background, in spoiler tags not because there are any actual spoilers here but because it only applies to you...if it doesn't apply to you, just go see the movie and don't click below.

If you have issues with PTSD then you might want to look into the movie so you know what you're getting into.  I've read about problems some people had with "Saving Private Ryan" and other war movies.  This definitely falls into that category.  It's not the gore so much as the hyper-realism of the scenes.

tl;dr version - Go see this movie and, if you can, go see it without knowing anything about it.  It's unlike anything I've ever seen, especially in this genre.  And my personal opinion is that (with one very notable exception) it's f***ing brilliant.  

@atl falcon 89, I'm not a fan of the genre at all.  As I said, I would never have watched this movie if I knew what it was about, let alone watched it in the theater.  But I'm glad that I did and, again, I've never seen a story told like this in a movie before.  It's so different from every other movie that I've seen in this same genre.  Loved it.

8 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

I'm going to purposefully be vague here because I think that I (inadvertently) watched this movie the best way possible.

Quick backstory - a friend suggested a movie tonight.  Okay...I was thinking Guardians 2, but he mentioned Dunkirk.  Some of his friends said it was a great.  Whatever, I'll go.  

I didn't have time to look into it, let alone watch any trailers or read any reviews.  I literally had no idea what the movie was about.  Was it a romance?  Not likely given my friend's preferences in movies.  Maybe an action hero movie?  It could have been a Disney flick for all I knew.  I just showed up at the theater, sat down, and watched it cold.  And I think that's the best way to watch this if you don't know anything about the story already.  This is NOT a movie that I would have chosen on my own (I'm not a fan of the genre, honestly) and I'm very happy that I didn't know what it was until I was in the theater.  

So the brief review:  Great movie.  I've never seen a movie produced like this nor have I ever seen a story told in this way.  My personal view is that it's brilliant.  And that's all I'm going to say about the details.

With one exception for people with a military background, in spoiler tags not because there are any actual spoilers here but because it only applies to you...if it doesn't apply to you, just go see the movie and don't click below.

Hide contents

If you have issues with PTSD then you might want to look into the movie so you know what you're getting into.  I've read about problems some people had with "Saving Private Ryan" and other war movies.  This definitely falls into that category.  It's not the gore so much as the hyper-realism of the scenes.

tl;dr version - Go see this movie and, if you can, go see it without knowing anything about it.  It's unlike anything I've ever seen, especially in this genre.  And my personal opinion is that (with one very notable exception) it's f***ing brilliant.  

On this we definitely agree!

12 hours ago, Leon Troutsky said:

@atl falcon 89, I'm not a fan of the genre at all.  As I said, I would never have watched this movie if I knew what it was about, let alone watched it in the theater.  But I'm glad that I did and, again, I've never seen a story told like this in a movie before.  It's so different from every other movie that I've seen in this same genre.  Loved it.

SPOILER ALERT!!!  DO NOT READ AND GET ANGRY WITH ME!!  

What genre was it?  I was expecting a full on war movie but IMO ... it became more of a disaster or survival film. 

2 hours ago, The Great American said:

SPOILER ALERT!!!  DO NOT READ AND GET ANGRY WITH ME!!  

What genre was it?  I was expecting a full on war movie but IMO ... it became more of a disaster or survival film. 

That makes sense. Dunkirk was less about the battle (which was mostly a holding action by two sides) than it was the actual escape and how they were able to scrap together this ragtag fleet and save an army. 

It's always been my understanding that Hitler was partially at fault, he warned his generals not to press too boldly(and had them halt several times) in the mistaken belief that his averting a slaughter would make the British more willing to come to the negotiation table.

I think the British counter attack at Arras is one of the main things that made Dunkirk possible.  The Germans had just about every mechanized piece of machinery they owned driving towards the channel and their flanks where wide open.  They were rightfully concerned about all these assets being cut off.