Vel's 2017-18 Season Preview

I haven't been around a lot this offseason. A lot more going on than spending time around here. BUT! It's about that time ladies and gentleman. Training camp is upon us and it's time to get over that SB loss if you haven't already. This team is primed and ready to rock. 

Think about the past ten offseasons, going back to 2007. We've never had a season like last season nor have we had an offseason like this one. Ever since we hired DQ, I gave us three offseasons to get to SB contention. I always felt the roster they were building was aiming for the 17-18 season to make a SB run. They happened to have a SB run a season early. It was amazing and unexpected, but I don't think the roster was built for it. Think about how many rookies and second year starters contributed and balled out. Neal, Debo, Hooper, Campbell, Poole, Beasley, Collins, Coleman, Jarrett, Allen. Nobody expected Neal and Debo to become top players are their positions as rookies. Nobody expected Hooper and Campbell to contribute like they did. Poole wasn't even drafted, let alone on a single person's radar here. People thought Beasley was a bust and Collins was a wasted pick after getting suspended. Rico was still a polarizing player that many wanted upgraded. Only Coleman and Jarrett were seen to have any promise of that bunch going into the season. Even our free agent additions weren't met with much excitement. Brooks Reed was the first major addition. Add in Clayborn, Durant, Tamme, and Schofield, among others. Not much in terms of big impact FAs to make 2015 a big season. But then we added Mack, Sanu, and Shelby, among others. The moves made in FA last year made it clear they were putting some finishing touches on the roster, but I don't think it was intended for it to result in a SB berth. No complaints. Look at the roster now:

QB: Ryan, Schaub

RB: Freeman, Coleman, Hill

WR: Jones, Sanu, Gabriel, Hardy, Fuller, Roberts, Williams

TE: Hooper, Toilolo, Perkins, Tialavea, Saubert

OT: Matthews, Schraeder, 

OG: Levitre, Schweitzer, Garland

C: Mack, Harlow

DL: Beasley, Clayborn, Poe, Jarrett, Upshaw, Crawford, McKinley, Shelby, Reed, Hageman

LB: Jones, Riley, Campbell, Reynolds, Ishmael

CB: Trufant, Alford, Collins, Poole, Goodwin, Kazee, Olatoye, King

S: Neal, Allen

That's not the whole roster, but it's dam close. Now take a look. Who is the worst player on the team? Reynolds, Tialavea, or King. The legit bottom of the roster. Think about that. One of those three is a starter in 2013-14, or at least seeing a good chunk of snaps in meaningful situations. Now, they barely are active. The meat of our roster is above average at worst. The most questionable starters are Schweitzer and Hooper. Again, think about that. A second year RG who is rightfully a question mark, but Hooper being the second "worst" is a testament to just how strong our roster is. And we're deep. We can handle injuries (knock on wood). We're deep at every position.

MVP QB? Check. 

Best running back group? Check. 

Best WR corps? Check. 

Deep DL? Check. 

Deep LB? Check. 

Deepest secondary in the league? Check. 

The transformation is real people and it's going to be here for a while now. There is no offense our defense isn't equipped to handle. Power run game? We've got the DL to match up and make it hard. Spread out and play with speed? We've got the LBs and secondary to run with you. It's quite amazing and I would not be surprised if our defense finishes top 10 in yards and points allowed. 

And we all know what our offense is capable of. People are making a big deal out of the change in OCs. Yes, Kyle was great. But I'm one that doesn't think playcalling is all that difficult. It's the week long preparation and I don't think Sark is that much of a "dropoff" from Kyle. For one reason. Dan Quinn. I truly think having DQ makes it easier for whoever our OC would be because he is such a film junky and knows defenses inside and out. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Kyle broke down film together during the season. I know my coaches did when I played and my brother's coaches did when he played. Even if they don't, Matt and the entire offense know the playbook like the back of their hands and Sark isn't changing it. Whatever he is adding/tweaking won't be major wholesale changes. It should be like going from Mularkey to Koetter, but better because we have a better scheme to build on. 

I'm telling you all now. 14-2 is where I think we land. We could have been 13-3 last season if not for fluke losses to the Chiefs and Chargers last year. There is no team in the NFC that is as complete and equipped as we are. The Packers were curb stomped worst than the Seahawks in the playoffs, yet somehow people are scared of them why? The Cowboys' defense is putrid. The Giants have no running game and a subpar OL. The Panthers OL is below average and their offensive weapons are still thin after Benjamin, Olsen, and McCaffrey. The Bucs have exciting new additions in DJax and Howard, but their OL is still below average and their secondary is unproven after Grimes. The Saints are 7-9. 

This offseason has been different. It's been tough. Not a lot of people thought they'd be able to make it after that loss. The only thing I'm mad about now is the fact that we won't be able to say "Repeat Champs" after this season. That's how confident I am in this team. This was always the season I had circled when DQ was hired and I'm not changing it now. The league better be ready. Atlanta is pissed off and this time, we're the ones burning cities down. One by one. 

#RISEUP

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you for the most part. There is no one in the NFC better than us and only NE as good as us I feel. I say we are more talented than them too, but talent doesn't always prevail.

I fully expect 13-3/14-2 season. Tampa intriques me and I think can be a really good team depending on a few things.

GB/Sea both have obvious flaws and on the decline possibly.

I like NY's defense, but Eli is so up and down, 1 dimensional, and suspect Oline. 

11 minutes ago, jeffro2000 said:

I agree with you for the most part. There is no one in the NFC better than us and only NE as good as us I feel. I say we are more talented than them too, but talent doesn't always prevail.

I fully expect 13-3/14-2 season. Tampa intriques me and I think can be a really good team depending on a few things.

GB/Sea both have obvious flaws and on the decline possibly.

I like NY's defense, but Eli is so up and down, 1 dimensional, and suspect Oline. 

Only reason I think we lose to NE is because it's on the road. They don't lose at home often. I think they are like .750 at home under Belichick. That's nuts. But, the rest of the games we should be favored every one. 

Tampa will be the biggest tests late in my opinion. If they are still holding it together, I think they scratch and claw their way to a wild card. That offense is going to be potent. I just don't think highly of their secondary and I think they will get attacked and be in shoot outs. 

The Falcons are at the top of the mountain in the NFC and there is nothing they did to change that. We didn't let our top defensive player walk (Norman). We didn't get fooled by fool's gold career year (Ginn, Oher, Remmers). Everybody is focused on how Carolina fell way off and think it's happening to us but don't look at why they fell so hard. 

38 minutes ago, Falcon mama said:

I agree with most of it....but GB has #12 and barring injuries they concern me the most. Seattle will be in the mix. We should be the team to beat in the NFC IF we stay healthy. Depth on the OL could be the difference if we have injuries there.....assuming MR and JJ stay healthy 

Why does #12 worry you? He's beaten Matt Ryan once and Dan Quinn has yet to lose to #12. He's a good QB, but he's not infallible. I think the mystique of Rodgers makes fans nervous more than his actual team. He's got no running game and his offensive scheme is terrible. He has to make magic happen almost every snap, which DQ clearly knows. His defense is average at the very best. No LBs. Slightly above average DL. Below average secondary. What's so scary about Green Bay other than #12? Nothing. This ain't basketball. He'll be on the bench half the game, the half which his team will need the most help. Rodgers will need to put up 40 just to be in the game. 

15 minutes ago, vel said:

Why does #12 worry you? He's beaten Matt Ryan once and Dan Quinn has yet to lose to #12. He's a good QB, but he's not infallible. I think the mystique of Rodgers makes fans nervous more than his actual team. He's got no running game and his offensive scheme is terrible. He has to make magic happen almost every snap, which DQ clearly knows. His defense is average at the very best. No LBs. Slightly above average DL. Below average secondary. What's so scary about Green Bay other than #12? Nothing. This ain't basketball. He'll be on the bench half the game, the half which his team will need the most help. Rodgers will need to put up 40 just to be in the game. 

As an individual talent, Rodgers is one of the deadliest QBs I've ever seen. His pocket presence is unbelievable. He's the ultimate playmaker. Great example is the throw he made to set GB up to beat Dallas in the playoffs. Only Aaron Rodgers makes throws like that. I'm not scared of Green Bay because their defense is terrible. But Rodgers is always a threat 

4 hours ago, vel said:

Only reason I think we lose to NE is because it's on the road. They don't lose at home often. I think they are like .750 at home under Belichick. That's nuts. But, the rest of the games we should be favored every one. 

Tampa will be the biggest tests late in my opinion. If they are still holding it together, I think they scratch and claw their way to a wild card. That offense is going to be potent. I just don't think highly of their secondary and I think they will get attacked and be in shoot outs. 

The Falcons are at the top of the mountain in the NFC and there is nothing they did to change that. We didn't let our top defensive player walk (Norman). We didn't get fooled by fool's gold career year (Ginn, Oher, Remmers). Everybody is focused on how Carolina fell way off and think it's happening to us but don't look at why they fell so hard. 

Vel remember 98 what was it 45-10 in Foxborough and we went to the SB.

Wouldnt complain seeing something similar we weren't expected to do anything that day either.

7 hours ago, vel said:

Booyaaah!!! :slick:

7 hours ago, Realist said:

I see 5-6 losses:

@NE

vs. cowboys 

@SEA

vs. TB

@CAR 

So we womt beat not a one of these contenders then who are we... Years ago maybe but we are a powerhouse now... We expect to beat anyone let alone not winning a single one of these u name mainly sea ne and dal come on...

8 hours ago, vel said:

I just don't think it's that easy....it's not like DQs played GB 10 times. Yeah I agree we're the favorite but I definitely don't think it's going to be as easy as you make it. If that was the case all of us could have a lot of extra cash at the end of the season cause there's a place call Vegas...

1 hour ago, Sipifalcon said:

So we womt beat not a one of these contenders then who are we... Years ago maybe but we are a powerhouse now... We expect to beat anyone let alone not winning a single one of these u name mainly sea ne and dal come on...

I just don't see them winning in NE or SEA. We may beat the cowboys. The first game against TB is the closest thing to a guaranteed loss.