Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

How much have NE, TB, Green Bay, Dallas, SEA improved? who worries you?

116 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Not saying it wasn't PI, but this picture isn't good evidence. Julio's hand is on the ball. 

They're both in the air trying to highpoint a ball. Realistically what would have to had taken place for Sherman to have Julio in an arm bar like that in the short time that ball actually touched his hands without committing DPI?

56 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

Oh okay...so yeah, the video says exactly what PMF said if you go beyond that screenshot.

All of the examples occurred before the WR touched the ball, hence they were PI. 

50 minutes ago, Jpowers said:

They're both in the air trying to highpoint a ball. Realistically what would have to had taken place for Sherman to have Julio in an arm bar like that in the short time that ball actually touched his hands without committing DPI?

ummm... an arm bar is just when a defensive player grabs/restricts the WR's arm. The difference in time to do that and catch a football is insignificant.

8 minutes ago, Realist said:

ummm... an arm bar is just when a defensive player grabs/restricts the WR's arm. The difference in time to do that and catch a football is insignificant.

I disagree. We'd have to assume that Julio jumped and was only going to reach out with one hand because Sherman couldn't have been grabbing his arm in an impeding manner before that ball touched his hand for it not be DPI.

15 hours ago, Falconsfan11 said:

We're better than all of them. It's time for us fans to change our mindset. We're the team that will be feared. 

I really want to buy in on this...hard to overcome 44 years of disappointment as a fan....

The Giants and the Cowgirls are the only two teams that worry me in the NFC. Giants because they have the best D in the NFL, and the Cowgirls because of that mamoth OL which can leave or offense of the field. But i think in the playoofs we will have home field adventage because usualy the teams from NFC East beat up on each other more then other divisons

23 hours ago, ket222 said:

so.... how much have NE, TB, Green Bay, Dallas, SEA improved with off season signings and who do we NOT match up well with in the coming season?

obviously NE has added a ridiculous amount of talent, and TB seems to added a couple of scary pieces ... but have the other teams improved much?  We basically destroyed GB and SEA, and GB beat dallas, ergo unless they have made real improvements I'm pretty confident about them esp. since GB and Dallas' defense aren't special.

also how did our defense improve so much over the past few games and do you predict they will be a top 10 defense given our additions and more experience?

While NE is far and away the best of the teams you listed (even before the offseason additions and getting Gronk back) they should be the least of your worries. The first goal is to win your division. TB is the team. If ATL doesn't win their division they probably don't get a wild card because there's no way TB wins more than 10-11 games. Even that is a stretch. Win or lose against NE in the regular season isn't as big a deal as losing to a division rival. 

12 hours ago, PK Manley said:

When people talk about the Patriots "insane" offseason, I wonder if they realize that they lost free agents worth $27 million/year to other teams (Ryan, Sheard, Bennett, Blount) and within the last 12 months, they also lost 2 players worth $29 million/year in Collins and Chandler Jones.

They had to make quite a few moves in order to not get worse this offseason.  I do expect them to be somewhat improved, but it would worry me more if they used that first rounder to get a pass rusher to replace one of the three they've lost rather than a receiver they don't really need in Cooks.

They didn't have Jones at all last year and dumped Collins partway through the season. Gilmore is an upgrade over Ryan. Burkhead and Gillislee more than replace Blount. Bennett is gone, but Gronk is back plus NE added Allen. Sheard was a cog in the rotation. Ealy takes care of that. Tre Flowers started to blossom towards the end of the season and in the playoffs. Flowers sack in LI is the play Shanahan regrets the most, if you believe the words coming out of Kyle's own mouth. In addition, Cooks is by far the fastest receiver on NE's roster. Finally someone to stretch the field. Reports are that he and Brady have great rapport. 

Jerz #Quinning likes this

12 hours ago, Just a Bills fan said:

NE has a better offense, a better defense and a better coaching staff...they are much better than the Raiders.....

Absolutely...

Hey Bills fan, I'd love to see the Bills finally get back to the playoffs, just to shut those Dolphins up. What do you think of the new HC?

10 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

btw... I think you're the one who needs to learn the rules...

Pass Interference

1. There shall be no interference with a forward pass thrown from behind the line. The restriction for the passing team starts with the snap. The restriction on the defensive team starts when the ball leaves the passer’s hand. Both restrictions end when the ball is touched by anyone.
  2. The penalty for defensive pass interference is an automatic first down at the spot of the foul. If interference is in the end zone, it is first down for the offense on the defense’s 1-yard line. If previous spot was inside the defense’s 1-yard line, penalty is half the distance to the goal line.
  3. The penalty for offensive pass interference is 10 yards from the previous spot.
  4. It is pass interference by either team when any player movement beyond the line of scrimmage significantly hinders the progress of an eligible player of such player’s opportunity to catch the ball. Offensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is snapped until the ball is touched. Defensive pass interference rules apply from the time the ball is thrown until the ball is touched.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

(b) Playing through the back of a receiver in an attempt to make a play on the ball.

(c) Grabbing a receiver’s arm(s) in such a manner that restricts his opportunity to catch a pass.

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

The above is from NFL.com.

I would have to say that the photo alone is not definitive since we can't be sure from the photo if contact occurred before the ball was touched.  For all we know from the photo, the ball could have bounced off somebody's hands (perhaps someone even out of the frame), and a melee ensued for possession.  However, if I were going to guess from the photo, I would guess pass interference; it seems unlikely that the two could end up that way unless Sherman had grabbed Jones' right arm before Jones touched the ball, it seems unlikely that Sherman could be so heavily engaged with Jones (clearly trying to play through Jones' back) unless he had started before Jones touched the ball, it seems unlikely that Sherman's left arm could be so far across Jones' body unless he started before Jones touched the ball.  The video, of course, leaves no doubt; Sherman has clearly and blatantly violated rules (a), (b), (c) and (d).

In any event, I really and truly so no reason to call someone an idiot based on a disagreement on the rules and the interpretation of a photo.  It's ridiculous, childish and inappropriate.

19 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

What happened in the title game again?  It was 24-0 at halftime and 37-15 going into the 4th quarter.  Which special teams mistakes almost cost the game?  

I do remember a few special teams issues vs. Seattle, though.

I was just about to reply the same thing. What game was this. The Falcons played **** near the perfect game. To be honest in my 35 years of being a Falcons fan I can't think of a better game that they have played

39 minutes ago, ricko1112 said:

Absolutely...

Hey Bills fan, I'd love to see the Bills finally get back to the playoffs, just to shut those Dolphins up. What do you think of the new HC?

We're really glad that the Ryan Brothers clown show has left the building and I have high hope for coach McD...the Bills are looking up but it will take probably 2 more seasons before we can really challenge anyone....Tyrod Taylor is the best we can do for now, and he can get us to 8-8 or 9-7 but it's not enough...until we really address the QB position, we'll be stuck in the middle of the pack....we have 2 1st round pick next year so hopefully, we'll address the QB ( Darnold ? )if we can improve our defense and bring it back to the 2014 level( before Rex ), I'll be happy for this season...Seeing I'm an old timer, I hate the Fish even more than NE.....the rivalry in the late 80's and early 90's between Miami and Buffalo was intense....I'm tired of NE simply because they have ruled for 17 years.....we get it Tom...we get it Bill....you're good....probably the best ever....now retire and let everyone else have a shot at it.... Miami is clearly the 2nd best team in the AFCE, but like everyone else in the conference, they have no shot at anything if NE stays healthy.....

15 minutes ago, Just a Bills fan said:

We're really glad that the Ryan Brothers clown show has left the building and I have high hope for coach McD...the Bills are looking up but it will take probably 2 more seasons before we can really challenge anyone....Tyrod Taylor is the best we can do for now, and he can get us to 8-8 or 9-7 but it's not enough...until we really address the QB position, we'll be stuck in the middle of the pack....we have 2 1st round pick next year so hopefully, we'll address the QB ( Darnold ? )if we can improve our defense and bring it back to the 2014 level( before Rex ), I'll be happy for this season...Seeing I'm an old timer, I hate the Fish even more than NE.....the rivalry in the late 80's and early 90's between Miami and Buffalo was intense....I'm tired of NE simply because they have ruled for 17 years.....we get it Tom...we get it Bill....you're good....probably the best ever....now retire and let everyone else have a shot at it.... Miami is clearly the 2nd best team in the AFCE, but like everyone else in the conference, they have no shot at anything if NE stays healthy.....

Hopefully, for the Bills' sake, Pegula doesn't turn into a meddling owner like Snyder and those like him. Just hire people who know football and stay out of it. Kraft made that mistake with Parcells. Kraft kept meddling. Fortunately, he learned his lesson. We all knew how the Buffoon Brothers circus was going to work out. I also agree that Taylor is only good for 7-9 wins.

Good luck this year! I hope the ball bounces the Bills' way, except for 2 games of course...

I'd be interested to know what these teams really think about playing the falcons and if they are "scared" a bit given our offensive awesomeness and hopefully improved defense   can you imagine being a defensive coordinator against the falcons' multi tiered attack and the fact that ryan threw TDs to so many diff receivers?!

also when are we going to hear about freeman's contract and how long we'll be keeping him ?

34 minutes ago, ket222 said:

I'd be interested to know what these teams really think about playing the falcons and if they are "scared" a bit given our offensive awesomeness and hopefully improved defense   can you imagine being a defensive coordinator against the falcons' multi tiered attack and the fact that ryan threw TDs to so many diff receivers?!

also when are we going to hear about freeman's contract and how long we'll be keeping him ?

"Scared" may not be the best word to describe how teams feel. We've all heard the phrase, "on any given Sunday," but there really aren't many surprises over the course of a season. Some people were shocked when a decimated Patriots' team beat the (Super Bowl aspiring) Cardinals last year. However, as the year went on, everyone realized that the Cardinals just were't very good. What seemed surprising at the beginning of the season turned out to be no a routine win. 

I'll bet many teams that play the Falcons will lack confidence in their ability to win the game. But any team in the upper tier will have loads of confidence. NE, GB, Seattle, and Dallas will expect to beat the Falcons just as the Falcons will expect to beat them. The Bears, Lions, Bills, Jets, and Vikes may just hope not to get embarrassed. Divisional games, who knows? Even NE has a stinker now and then. The Falcons are CLEARLY the class of the NFCS, but it's difficult to go 6-0.

On 7/17/2017 at 10:50 AM, Skeetbird said:

Honestly , if we dont miss a beat from last season. I'm not scared of any team. And so what if we go to NE and lose regular season? Who cares? If we get back to the superbowl. NE is not the team i want to meet. Not that I am scared of them. I am just sick of them. Tired of seeing them ..tired of hearing about them. Tom Brady can just go away as far as I'm concerned. I'd be ok with an ATl vs.TEXANS/BENGALS/ anybodybut PITTS and NE

The only teams the Falcons have to worry about from the AFC are the Patriots and Raiders. Trust me, there is no reason to fear the Steelers. Tomlin isn't able to make in-game or halftime adjustments. Contain Bell or AB. ATL has multiple WRs and RBs. Pitt can only rely on those 2 guys.    

2 hours ago, ricko1112 said:

The only teams the Falcons have to worry about from the AFC are the Patriots and Raiders. Trust me, there is no reason to fear the Steelers. Tomlin isn't able to make in-game or halftime adjustments. Contain Bell or AB. ATL has multiple WRs and RBs. Pitt can only rely on those 2 guys.    

True but I didn't say I was worried about them. I just said I'm sick of seeing them inthe superbowl...

9 hours ago, Falcon form E said:

The Giants and the Cowgirls are the only two teams that worry me in the NFC. Giants because they have the best D in the NFL, and the Cowgirls because of that mamoth OL which can leave or offense of the field. But i think in the playoofs we will have home field adventage because usualy the teams from NFC East beat up on each other more then other divisons

Giants have the best defense in the NFL? Since when?

4 hours ago, ricko1112 said:

No reason to fear the Raiders either because they're defense isn't very good.

On 7/17/2017 at 5:55 PM, PK Manley said:

When people talk about the Patriots "insane" offseason, I wonder if they realize that they lost free agents worth $27 million/year to other teams (Ryan, Sheard, Bennett, Blount) and within the last 12 months, they also lost 2 players worth $29 million/year in Collins and Chandler Jones.

They had to make quite a few moves in order to not get worse this offseason.  I do expect them to be somewhat improved, but it would worry me more if they used that first rounder to get a pass rusher to replace one of the three they've lost rather than a receiver they don't really need in Cooks.

Let's remove Collins and Jones out of the equation because they played the backhalf of the season without them and still ran the AFC and won the SB. 

TE. Okay they lost Bennett. They get Gronk back. Gronk is worth more than two Bennetts. He's a 50/50 shot to finish the season. So there's that. But if he's there at the end, they won that exchange without even factoring in Allen. Allen and Gronk both their come playoff time gives them the most x factor player in the league and a TE who can take some of the load blocking and in redzone play. 

Gilmore is a big upgrade from Ryan. Ryan's good, but Gilmore was better outside of Belichick's defense. Inside of it, I expect him to look like a stud. A secondary of Butler/Gilmore/Chung/McCourty/Harmon/Rowe is going to easily be a top 5 secondary in the NFL. It's actually one of the two best the Patriots have fielded since 2009 (2014 being the exception, with Revis and Browner). 

Most Patriots fans will tell you straight up that Blount was overrated. He gets most of his notoriety from beating on bad Colts defenses in big games. The last team he was on just released him. Burkhead and Gillislee more than make up for him. Burkhead was considered by many to be the best RB on the Bengals who got stuck on behind higher paid talent on the depth chart. 

Sheard's the only player they really haven't replaced. But adding Harris to the LB corp is probably a better overall improvement to the defense than keeping Sheard. Or at worst is about a wash. 

Then in the passing game they kept virtually every key contributor from last year at WR and added Cooks who will instantly be their number 1 target and give them a speed and vertical threat they haven't had since Moss. Brady passing to a corp of Cooks/Gronkowski/Edelman/Amendola/Mitchell/Hogan/Allen/White/Lewis is one of the deepest games in the league. 

It's really sad but the biggest question mark is whether their all time great historically successful QB doesn't experience a drop off this year. And if he doesn't, well...

Then again if I'm the Falcons they are one of the teams on my schedule I worry about the least. They are an out of conference away game meaning they have the least effect on seeding and tiebreakers of any team on the schedule. It's the game you can most afford to lose and not loose too much sleep over. And the only way you see them again is if you both make the Super Bowl, at which point you are so far into at that point that you just go with it. 

14 minutes ago, boombox54 said:

Let's remove Collins and Jones out of the equation because they played the backhalf of the season without them and still ran the AFC and won the SB. 

TE. Okay they lost Bennett. They get Gronk back. Gronk is worth more than two Bennetts. He's a 50/50 shot to finish the season. So there's that. But if he's there at the end, they won that exchange without even factoring in Allen. Allen and Gronk both their come playoff time gives them the most x factor player in the league and a TE who can take some of the load blocking and in redzone play. 

Gilmore is a big upgrade from Ryan. Ryan's good, but Gilmore was better outside of Belichick's defense. Inside of it, I expect him to look like a stud. A secondary of Butler/Gilmore/Chung/McCourty/Harmon/Rowe is going to easily be a top 5 secondary in the NFL. It's actually one of the two best the Patriots have fielded since 2009 (2014 being the exception, with Revis and Browner). 

Most Patriots fans will tell you straight up that Blount was overrated. He gets most of his notoriety from beating on bad Colts defenses in big games. The last team he was on just released him. Burkhead and Gillislee more than make up for him. Burkhead was considered by many to be the best RB on the Bengals who got stuck on behind higher paid talent on the depth chart. 

Sheard's the only player they really haven't replaced. But adding Harris to the LB corp is probably a better overall improvement to the defense than keeping Sheard. Or at worst is about a wash. 

Then in the passing game they kept virtually every key contributor from last year at WR and added Cooks who will instantly be their number 1 target and give them a speed and vertical threat they haven't had since Moss. Brady passing to a corp of Cooks/Gronkowski/Edelman/Amendola/Mitchell/Hogan/Allen/White/Lewis is one of the deepest games in the league. 

It's really sad but the biggest question mark is whether their all time great historically successful QB doesn't experience a drop off this year. And if he doesn't, well...

Then again if I'm the Falcons they are one of the teams on my schedule I worry about the least. They are an out of conference away game meaning they have the least effect on seeding and tiebreakers of any team on the schedule. It's the game you can most afford to lose and not loose too much sleep over. And the only way you see them again is if you both make the Super Bowl, at which point you are so far into at that point that you just go with it. 

I still don't think it was some insane offseason like some seem to believe.  Yeah, you improved, and other teams did too.  

Sure, Collins and Jones weren't there last year, but that's still great players that aren't there anymore.  Cooks is a nice piece, but you gave up a first for him where there were quality players available, and gave up a 4th rounder for Allen, who isn't very good and reportedly may not even make the roster.  Ealy blows too as far as replacing all of the pass rushers lost.

I'm also sure you thought Gilmore was great when receivers were burning him all last year.  And Gronk is healthy, like he is every year until he's not.

You guys are obviously still favorites, so don't get your panties twisted, but I think the circlejerk about how amazing your offseason has been is way off-base.

37 minutes ago, PK Manley said:

I still don't think it was some insane offseason like some seem to believe.  Yeah, you improved, and other teams did too.  

Sure, Collins and Jones weren't there last year, but that's still great players that aren't there anymore.  Cooks is a nice piece, but you gave up a first for him where there were quality players available, and gave up a 4th rounder for Allen, who isn't very good and reportedly may not even make the roster.  Ealy blows too as far as replacing all of the pass rushers lost.

I'm also sure you thought Gilmore was great when receivers were burning him all last year.  And Gronk is healthy, like he is every year until he's not.

You guys are obviously still favorites, so don't get your panties twisted, but I think the circlejerk about how amazing your offseason has been is way off-base.

Again though it's misleading to use Collins and Jones as examples when Jones wasn't there the whole year, and Collins was gone for most of it and they won a SB without them. They wouldn't really count as part of last year. Especially Jones. 

They improved in the secondary (Gilmore is better than Ryan). They improved in the WR corp and gave themselves the best pure WR they've had since Moss. The LB corp they have now is basically a wash (they really didn't have Collins most of the year and Harris is a bit better than the guy he was replacing when he got there). They added more depth and improved in the running game. At TE they are getting Gronk back so if he's healthy it's automatically better. If not they traded some receptions on an already stacked offense for some better blocking. If they have both it's a pretty good deal. 

The only unit that you could argue got worse was the defensive line where you lost Mingo who sucked so no big loss, Long who was a stopgap (Ealy will easily replace him) and Sheard who was the biggest player they didn't find some form of a replacement for. 

And this is coming off a year where they won a SB and were the clear best team in the AFC and had the best record in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, PK Manley said:

I'll just repeat this again, because you must not have seen it.  Good luck this year.

I'm inspired and my old football nature has come back. Cocky, full of bile and hatred, mean. Every last one of them are stuck on the field with us. I feel like win or lose they will feel us. Think you can roll the Brotherhood if you want.

Falconsfan567 likes this