After the Steelers, which NFL team boasts the best offensive trio in football? SI.com

10 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

Bell and DJ might be closer on a production level, but DJ is the more talented between the two. Bell is just on a much more effective offense & has a much better OL blocking for him.

I don't disagree with the last sentence but I'm not sure Johnson is more talented than Bell. He has an edge in the receiving game but I dont know that the edge is enough to make up for Bell's edge ability in between the tackles. That certainly could be the result of Bell's OL but his identifiable traits/talents are pretty unique. 

I want to see it a bit more from Johnson before I give him the crown. Until then, Bell is the tops. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, athell said:

Look at what Pitt did when Lev got hurt in the playoffs...nothing.  I wouldn't hold his offense over his head like it is a knock on him because without him they completely folded.

The only reason I would consider DJ over Lev at this point is drug suspension and injury history.  If you offer me a healthy Lev or a healthy DJ, I'm taking Lev and not thinking twice about it.  He has better vision, he sets up his blocks better than any running back, is very effective as a route runner and pass catching RB, and is a better pass blocker than DJ.

This isn't a knock on DJ, he is a very close second in my mind, but watching both the past couple years, I just don't see DJ being on Lev's level just yet.  I think he will be, but not yet.

2 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I don't disagree with the last sentence but I'm not sure Johnson is more talented than Bell. He has an edge in the receiving game but I dont know that the edge is enough to make up for Bell's edge ability in between the tackles. That certainly could be the result of Bell's OL but his identifiable traits/talents are pretty unique. 

I want to see it a bit more from Johnson before I give him the crown. Until then, Bell is the tops. 

this entire thing is starting to feel very circular. Johnson is much more athletic than Bell, was much more productive in college, and has been much more valuable to his team since getting into the NFL. In a year or two you guys will be on my side of this conversation but there's pretty clearly nothing I can say to convince you why you're wrong.

I guess they don't care about injury history when boasting about the NFL's best offensive trio.  I don't think there is any OC or HC that would take Ben/Brown/Bell over Ryan/Julio/Free.  I do think it's a really close comparison if we ignore injury history.  Ryan is better than Ben at this point in their respective careers.  Julio is slightly better than Brown.  Bell is significantly better than Free if you completely ignore his injury history.  

I know I'm biased and I think our 3 are better even if we do ignore their injury history.  But I could see it being a close comparison if we exclude it.

19 hours ago, Kayoh said:

Freeman is very good, but not what I would consider great. I'm not even talking about pure production either, I'm talking about actual talent level. Freeman is in a group of RBs that are basically interchangeable along with other good but not great talents like McCoy, Miller, Forte, Hyde, D.Murray, and maybe like Gore. Ezekiel Elliott is a tiiiiny notch above that, Bell is a pretty big leap above that, and then David Johnson is legitimately the best RB talent in the NFL since LT.

These are all opinions. There is nothing either of them can do Freeman can't. They just get 100+ more touches to showcase it. 

Vision? All three have it and have the feet to get there. They do it differently, but all are more capable than everyone else in the league. Elliott is next up, but I want to see him do it again before I throw him in there. Power? It's there, even though Freeman is smaller. Speed? All three are 4.5 runners, not long breakaway guys but good enough to get away inside the fifty. Receiving? Again, Freeman is there with them. 

But neither Bell nor Johnson had a Tevin Coleman behind them. Coleman is in that tier you think Freeman is in. If Coleman is in Arizona, Johnson isn't running as many routes. If Coleman is in Pittsburg, Bell isn't getting as many carries. 

Yes, production is apart of it. Because there isn't anything Bell or Johnson does that Freeman can't. They just do more of it and a bit differently. And Freeman isn't 6'1 225lbs like Bell and Johnson.

1 hour ago, vel said:

These are all opinions. There is nothing either of them can do Freeman can't. They just get 100+ more touches to showcase it. 

Vision? All three have it and have the feet to get there. They do it differently, but all are more capable than everyone else in the league. Elliott is next up, but I want to see him do it again before I throw him in there. Power? It's there, even though Freeman is smaller. Speed? All three are 4.5 runners, not long breakaway guys but good enough to get away inside the fifty. Receiving? Again, Freeman is there with them. 

But neither Bell nor Johnson had a Tevin Coleman behind them. Coleman is in that tier you think Freeman is in. If Coleman is in Arizona, Johnson isn't running as many routes. If Coleman is in Pittsburg, Bell isn't getting as many carries. 

Yes, production is apart of it. Because there isn't anything Bell or Johnson does that Freeman can't. They just do more of it and a bit differently. And Freeman isn't 6'1 225lbs like Bell and Johnson.

Funny thing about the production is that Freeman has Johnson and Bell beat on that front. No back has more scrimmage yards the last 2 years combined than Freeman. I just don't get this CRAP that Bell and Johnson are on a completely different level from Freeman.

Read his entire article. How he doesn't realize that what he wrote about the stats of our top 3, obviously tops the Steelers, I'd rathar have Ryan, Julio, and Freeman over their counterparts. Bell will be burnt out like Turner was in 5  years. Freeman will be productive if he keeps his acceleration, even if his straightline speed drops some. He's not a burner now, but rarely is takled by the first defender. Elite vision, and aceleration, with dimunnitive size that saves him from taking the BIG hits.

On 6/25/2017 at 10:38 AM, Kayoh said:

Freeman isn't in the same galaxy as Bell.

Sure he is, right here and now. And there's already signs we've seen the very best of Bell as he begins to deteriorate.  Thanks to Coleman, free most likely is gonna have a longer career than the Bell/Johnson/Elliott type RBs...in 3-5  years freeman will have far surpassed Bell career-wise in just about every statistical RB category. 

And I would take elliott right now over Bell. 

This board gets silly when matt Ryan isn't ranked among top 5 NFL players by some dumb tv show, but amazingly vastly under- rates one of its own best players in not grasping just how good D Freeman truly is. 

10 hours ago, vel said:

Pretty much Spot on. 

8 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

Funny thing about the production is that Freeman has Johnson and Bell beat on that front. No back has more scrimmage yards the last 2 years combined than Freeman. I just don't get this CRAP that Bell and Johnson are on a completely different level from Freeman.

Bell and Johnson can handle a larger workload than Freeman can. Without Coleman, Freeman wouldn't be as effective IMO

2 minutes ago, 0 for 51 said:

Thanks for pointing that out. What do I owe you for those pearls of wisdom?

You clearly don't need any pearls of wisdom with such hot takes spewing forth from your keyboard and such amazing digs like "Rothlessraper" and you TOTALLY wouldn't be the guy on twitter replying to every Falcons tweet with "28-3" months after that tired meme has been played out all the while thinking he was funny and original.

You do you, boo.  It's workin' for ya.

1 minute ago, athell said:

You clearly don't need any pearls of wisdom with such hot takes spewing forth from your keyboard and such amazing digs like "Rothlessraper" and you TOTALLY wouldn't be the guy on twitter replying to every Falcons tweet with "28-3" months after that tired meme has been played out all the while thinking he was funny and original.

You do you, boo.  It's workin' for ya.

Don't have a twitter account. Don't know where in the **** that came from. Made a statement that I felt BB was overrated. I obviously offended you for some reason for you to go bonkers over something I said about him.

You be boo too boo

2 hours ago, falconidae said:

Or, that trio of receivers was blessed to have Ryan throwing them the ball.

I don't think Nate Burleson was saying it in derogatory way. He's one of the good guys. Very honest with his thoughts and opinions unlike most analysts. I think he was just saying that the Falcons have a trio receivers, quite possible the best trio, in the NFL. He was heaping praise on the Falcons, not trying to take away from what Ryan accomplished.

1 minute ago, 0 for 51 said:

Don't have a twitter account. Don't know where in the **** that came from. Made a statement that I felt BB was overrated. I obviously offended you for some reason for you to go bonkers over something I said about him.

You be boo too boo

That came from you seem like you would be "that guy" on twitter and to be honest I have no more patience for those types of people.  It's obnoxious.

If you would have simply made a statement that Ben was overrated, that would have been fine.  You compared what Ben did (actually participate in and score points in, complete passes in, etc.) to what Jimmy Garropolo did (literally nothing), which as I said before is a really stupid comparison.

This is not bonkers, this is pointing out an obviously stupid opinion (that you backed up).

I don't even know what to respond with to "you be boo too boo" so I guess have fun coming up with your super sick future NFL burns and name plays!