After the Steelers, which NFL team boasts the best offensive trio in football? SI.com

2 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

Total pipe dream but Julio, Fitz, and Roddy in the slot. Maaaaaaaaaaaan.

That would've been so ridiculous. Julio would give Fitz more room to work with than he ever has. I know earlier in his career he had some good offenses around him, but i still don't think even a guy like Anquan Boldin in his prime came close in demanding a coverage's attention. He just wasn't fast enough to demand what Julio does.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

That would've been so ridiculous. Julio would give Fitz more room to work with than he ever has. I know earlier in his career he had some good offenses around him, but i still don't think even a guy like Anquan Boldin in his prime came close in demanding a coverage's attention. He just wasn't fast enough to demand what Julio does.

Plus he never had a QB like Ryan...Greybeard had that magical season, but he still wasn't at Matt's level IMO. 

35 minutes ago, Atlfanstckndenver said:

Julio would run free to blow the top off. Fitz would be pure clutch. And Roddy would dominate the middle.

20 hours ago, fuego said:

The same Steelers where Big ben threw for 3 TDs in the playoffs and Matt had 9? Ben had 4 INTs and Matt none? Ben threw for an average of 245 yards a game and Matt 338? Ben had an 82.6 QBR and Matt 135.3? Those Steelers? 

they're living in the past, how long ago was his last SB win? and what exactly has he done since? ;)

12 hours ago, Reggie_Kelly said:

I think the Matt/Julio/Freeman trio needs to have more than 1 good season to even claim any spot. 

Which is fair, but come up with a real list of requirements first, and then tell me who comes out on top.  Don't tell me it's empirical if you don't have any real solid basis for it.  

As far as arguing they need more than 1 good season to be considered...... Well that's a different can of worms. 

On 6/24/2017 at 1:45 AM, Dem Birds said:

Yeah, I've been having this debate in Facebook all day. Matt is head and shoulders better than Ben right now, Julio is slightly better than Brown and Freeman is a lot closer to Bell than people seem to think. Brown also disappears without Ben and Matt is very durable. I'll take our guys personally

Freeman isn't in the same galaxy as Bell.

6 hours ago, Kayoh said:

Freeman isn't in the same galaxy as Bell.

That's a bold statement. I disagree. Bell is good. Great even. But he's not splitting carries. Same with Johnson. If Freeman were the lone back we had, he would constantly be in that conversation. HeIl, people talk about Coleman being a starting caliber back himself. Bell had 261 carries in 12 games while Freeman had 227 in 16. All three are the most complete backs in the league in my opinion. Running, catching, blocking. All three can do it and do it well. Only two of them don't have to share touches. 

8 hours ago, vel said:

That's a bold statement. I disagree. Bell is good. Great even. But he's not splitting carries. Same with Johnson. If Freeman were the lone back we had, he would constantly be in that conversation. HeIl, people talk about Coleman being a starting caliber back himself. Bell had 261 carries in 12 games while Freeman had 227 in 16. All three are the most complete backs in the league in my opinion. Running, catching, blocking. All three can do it and do it well. Only two of them don't have to share touches. 

Freeman is very good, but not what I would consider great. I'm not even talking about pure production either, I'm talking about actual talent level. Freeman is in a group of RBs that are basically interchangeable along with other good but not great talents like McCoy, Miller, Forte, Hyde, D.Murray, and maybe like Gore. Ezekiel Elliott is a tiiiiny notch above that, Bell is a pretty big leap above that, and then David Johnson is legitimately the best RB talent in the NFL since LT.

Antonio and Julio are a push. 

Bell is a good deal better than Free (although hes a good deal better than everyone else, too)

Ryan and Ben is an interesting discussion....at their peaks, Ben is a bit better. But at this point in their careers, I dont know. Ryan is much steadier than Ben, much more available than Ben, and much more reliable than Ben. I'd probably give the edge to Ryan. 

9 hours ago, Kayoh said:

Freeman is very good, but not what I would consider great. I'm not even talking about pure production either, I'm talking about actual talent level. Freeman is in a group of RBs that are basically interchangeable along with other good but not great talents like McCoy, Miller, Forte, Hyde, D.Murray, and maybe like Gore. Ezekiel Elliott is a tiiiiny notch above that, Bell is a pretty big leap above that, and then David Johnson is legitimately the best RB talent in the NFL since LT.

I think Bell is still heads and shoulders about David Johnson. Although Johnson is a more effective option when split out. Which is kind of ridiculous when you think about it. 

12 minutes ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

I think Bell is still heads and shoulders about David Johnson. Although Johnson is a more effective option when split out. Which is kind of ridiculous when you think about it. 

If I need a guy who can run through tackles, I take Bell. If I need someone who can keep from getting touched, I take Johnson. It's kind of the modern version of Emmitt Smith vs. Barry Sanders.

Just now, jidady said:

If I need a guy who can run through tackles, I take Bell. If I need someone who can keep from getting touched, I take Johnson. It's kind of the modern version of Emmitt Smith vs. Barry Sanders.

See, I think Bell does both as well as anyone. 

The dude's vision and balance are just unmatched. 

1 minute ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

See, I think Bell does both as well as anyone. 

The dude's vision and balance are just unmatched. 

I know that PFF loves him for making plays after contact, which is the true mark of a champion RB. (Freeman's tremendous at this, by the way.) And I do love the way that Bell makes hard, decisive cuts. To me, Johnson's footwork is inimitable, though. He's a back who can break the ankles of corners in press coverage. That's not something I've seen much in my lifetime.

2 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Bell and DJ might be closer on a production level, but DJ is the more talented between the two. Bell is just on a much more effective offense & has a much better OL blocking for him.

10 minutes ago, Kayoh said:

Bell and DJ might be closer on a production level, but DJ is the more talented between the two. Bell is just on a much more effective offense & has a much better OL blocking for him.

Look at what Pitt did when Lev got hurt in the playoffs...nothing.  I wouldn't hold his offense over his head like it is a knock on him because without him they completely folded.

The only reason I would consider DJ over Lev at this point is drug suspension and injury history.  If you offer me a healthy Lev or a healthy DJ, I'm taking Lev and not thinking twice about it.  He has better vision, he sets up his blocks better than any running back, is very effective as a route runner and pass catching RB, and is a better pass blocker than DJ.

This isn't a knock on DJ, he is a very close second in my mind, but watching both the past couple years, I just don't see DJ being on Lev's level just yet.  I think he will be, but not yet.