The night of the super bowl, my wife and I hosted a great party. We had family, friends, and neighbors. Probably 30 people. 

I started drinking early in the day and was feeling good at kickoff. Once we took a big lead, I drank till I passed out. I woke up to find out what we all know. I've never watched the second half. And I never will.

Still embarrassed for that, and when you tack on 28-3, I can barely even talk about the game 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My confession- I blame my girlfriend for this. And you can all too. 

She works evenings and came home basically immediately when the bad started. I watched the game alone because superstition, and everything was going fine, better than fine. She walked through the door at 28-3 and said "this is good right? They're gonna win the big game?!?" (she's not a football fan in the slightest) All I said was, it looks good, but it's far from over, knowing just how spectacularly the birds can screw a pooch. I secretly wanted to ask her to leave as it all came undone but we both just sat in silence and watched. 

I kid about blaming her, im superstitious but not that bad. This is the first time I've relived that day. Now I'm gonna start drinking. 

9 minutes ago, ya_boi_j said:

It was an embarrassing loss but you guys gotta find a way to get past it. I want to see the team win one before I die as bad as the next fan but the outcome and plays called was out of our control as fans. Gotta show more strength and get past it

It took a while but I'm past it. I still change channels when the shows talk about how great New England and Brady are, though. It's funny how coming back from 28-3 is the only story line when most of us realize that we actually had them down by that much. SMH.

The way that I moved beyond it was by realizing that we were at least two years ahead of schedule. There's no reason to believe that a team starting four rookies and two second year players on defense should be in the Super Bowl, let alone be in a position to win the game. I was either going to enjoy what's next or live in the past and win or lose, we had one **** of a season.

It will always bug me, but it's not as depressing as it was for the first month after the game.

8 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

It took a while but I'm past it. I still change channels when the shows talk about how great New England and Brady are, though. It's funny how coming back from 28-3 is the only story line when most of us realize that we actually had them down by that much. SMH.

The way that I moved beyond it was by realizing that we were at least two years ahead of schedule. There's no reason to believe that a team starting four rookies and two second year players on defense should be in the Super Bowl, let alone be in a position to win the game. I was either going to enjoy what's next or live in the past and win or lose, we had one **** of a season.

It will always bug me, but it's not as depressing as it was for the first month after the game.

I can't even lie. I was over it the next week. Heck once the comeback started I had already accepted what was about to likely happen. I was pissed a few days because it's all people wanted to talk about.  After the talking stopped, I stopped thinking about it. I was also dealing with my own personal things so that also helped 

I was at the game and almost threw up at the end...seriously. I finally rewatch the game this week. I'll never get past it....NEVER. Heck I'm still not over the Dallas PO loss in 80-81. It would help a great deal to win it this year....but to say I'm over it NEVER. I've been a Falcon fan since 75 - waited too long

2 hours ago, blackredfellow said:

She works evenings and came home basically immediately when the bad started. I watched the game alone because superstition, and everything was going fine, better than fine. She walked through the door at 28-3 and said "this is good right? They're gonna win the big game?!?" (she's not a football fan in the slightest) All I said was, it looks good, but it's far from over, knowing just how spectacularly the birds can screw a pooch. I secretly wanted to ask her to leave as it all came undone but we both just sat in silence and watched. 

I kid about blaming her, im superstitious but not that bad. This is the first time I've relived that day. Now I'm gonna start drinking. 

Funny, almost exact conversation in my house.

28-3 and said "this is good right? They're gonna win the big game?!?" (she's not a football fan in the slightest) All I said was, it looks good, but it's far from over and he's the greatest QB to ever play the game, so it's far from done. 

2 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I can't even lie. I was over it the next week. Heck once the comeback started I had already accepted what was about to likely happen. I was pissed a few days because it's all people wanted to talk about.  After the talking stopped, I stopped thinking about it. I was also dealing with my own personal things so that also helped 

I'll be honest here: There are a lot of things going on in this world and in my life that are more important than football. We Americans are privileged to be able to devote as much time and emotion to the results of an athletic contest. I love football to be sure, but it's really a diversion from more serious things. In the grand scheme of things, a Super Bowl loss will be the least of my concerns when I look back in the years to come.

But I'm still excited for what's next. I need a diversion to keep me from being in a non-stop rage these days and holding on to anger and disappointment is not a productive use of my life.

Man I was in football form that night. Had my gear on sent by @JOEinPHX and was talking crap. I mean, I was in super rare form. "We didn't come to win, we came to brawl!!!" That was my battle cry whenever I played a game with something on the line. Still hurt from the Bama loss, I started seeing the similarities. I did, however, go back to watch the game. Glad I did.

9 hours ago, blackredfellow said:

Women are notorious for eithter bringing extremely coincidental good luck, and bad luck, depending on the gal. If you dislike the woman it usually brings bad luck. How serious are you two? BTW I base this off of unscientific non-fact, and not just simple opinion.

Edited by ATLSlobberKnockers

I bought two different strengths of beer. Light beer, because I was starting to believe in the team, and ice beer, because I've lived in Atlanta all my life and, lets face it, the Braves blew it all but once, and the Falcons sucked every other year for 50 years. About halfway through the fourth quarter I gave up on the light beer and started pounding Milwaukee's Best Ice, but I still remember everything up to the overtime coin toss, which is when I knew it was over. No defense can play that hard for that long. I honestly think if Alford doesn't get the pick 6, the offense stays in rhythm, the D gets a breather, and we win the game.

12 hours ago, GTFalcon25 said:

The night of the super bowl, my wife and I hosted a great party. We had family, friends, and neighbors. Probably 30 people. 

I started drinking early in the day and was feeling good at kickoff. Once we took a big lead, I drank till I passed out. I woke up to find out what we all know. I've never watched the second half. And I never will.

Still embarrassed for that, and when you tack on 28-3, I can barely even talk about the game 

My wife wanted to throw a party too.

However I didn't want to because... well because I was afraid something like that would happen.

How ****** up is that?

I threw a party. When Coleman scored his TD to put the team up 28-3, one of my friends in the house said "that's ballgame." I quickly denounced that and said I'll never rule out Belichick. When Julio caught the pass, that's when I admit I thought the game was over. I thought they would run the clock out and kick a game sealing field goal. When they went backwards. I was INFURIATED. I stood up and announced to the whole house EXACTLY what was going to happen. "Now the pats are going to score, AND get the 2 pointer. Then we'll go to OT and the Pats will win the toss, and score an opening drive TD." Everyone was trying to calm me down and just wait but I was certain. I just knew...when the game was over I went upstairs and turned off my phone. Wife sent everybody out for me. That was so painful

Edited by JD dirtybird21
13 hours ago, ya_boi_j said:

I was over it after it happened. Not because I'm callous or not a fan, because I didn't find it embarrassing. The Falcons simply overachieved all year, played gutsy all year. They put the toughest team in the NFL on the ropes, but couldn't KO them.  That's encouraging.

look NE came in with the best defense, Brady, belichik and a team full of SB winners. They won. It was simply a game of two halves.

but I'm proud of our boys. They'll be back

Just now, MSalmon said:

I was over it after it happened. Not because I'm callous or not a fan, because I didn't find it embarrassing. The Falcons simply overachieved all year, played gutsy all year. They put the toughest team in the NFL on the ropes, but couldn't KO them.  That's encouraging.

look NE came in with the best defense, Brady, belichik and a team full of SB winners. They won. It was simply a game of two halves.

but I'm proud of our boys. They'll be back

Don't get me wrong, when the game went off I just shrugged my shoulders and said oh well.. it's just the having to talk about it over and over again part that kept me upset. Probably didn't even last a full week though.

My favorite thing is when people say "what happened to ya boys bruh". Why fans do that is beyond me as if we have any control over the outcome of a game. I'm just in it for the conversation

1 minute ago, ya_boi_j said:

Don't get me wrong, when the game went off I just shrugged my shoulders and said oh well.. it's just the having to talk about it over and over again part that kept me upset. Probably didn't even last a full week though.

My favorite thing is when people say "what happened to ya boys bruh". Why fans do that is beyond me as if we have any control over the outcome of a game. I'm just in it for the conversation

I was about you. It did pain me a bit. But what a great season our boys had! I just can't see downplaying a great season

2 hours ago, ShmevinShmarris said:

I've watched the first three quarters at least 8 times lol

I recorded many of the games  what I like to do is watch  "Both" games back to back--- ie

Bucs,  Panthers, Saints  plus there is GB and Seattle

yea 6 hours against 1 team  BUT you really get to see the individual match ups and draw some conclusions that way