Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jayu70

Summer League 2018 - Utah and Las Vegas

249 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, cwell1 said:

because of summer league? lol

I'm a big time Alabama homer so there is that. I've wanted Sexton since last November lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tl;dr said:

Hopefully that gets him going! Will be nice to see him get going 

Gotta make those layups though. He bricked every one. He could have had 40 points.

Drew4719 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Gotta make those layups though. He bricked every one. He could have had 40 points.

The metrics guys have suggested this will be an ongoing issue with him. He had one of the worst near-basket shooting percentages in college basketball last year. It's an outcome of his size disadvantage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Gotta make those layups though. He bricked every one. He could have had 40 points.

 

4 hours ago, jidady said:

The metrics guys have suggested this will be an ongoing issue with him. He had one of the worst near-basket shooting percentages in college basketball last year. It's an outcome of his size disadvantage.

I believe they said during the broadcast that it was THE worst %. It was 52% regardless. Just think of how bad that actually is lol. At the rim you have just as good of a chance of missing. AT the rim lol. 

I'm concerned at the relatively mundane ones he misses. When the defense isn't even suffocating. He still misses. It's like he's only good at 3 pt shooting because he literally never practiced any other shot lol. 

I've seen Trae's layups a lot over the years from teenagers cause they get nervous lol. Luckily it's one of the easiest things to fix. I just don't understand how he can make that up and under in Utah, but can't handle 3 routine layups in LV. 

Drew4719, No.11 and jidady like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jidady said:

He's an 86% free throw shooter, too. So, the fact that he's dicey on layups is really, really strange.

And his passing. Here clearly understands how to handle the ball and intricacies of making it do certain things.... 

But yet his layups are bad and almost always are too strong. Breathe senor lol 

jidady likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WOR said:

And his passing. Here clearly understands how to handle the ball and intricacies of making it do certain things.... 

But yet his layups are bad and almost always are too strong. Breathe senor lol 

I really think it might be that simple. He may play too out of control and get too dialed up when he's near the basket. He's always going to be short, but I hope that with time and experience, he finishes at the rim more efficiently. 

WOR likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jidady said:

I really think it might be that simple. He may play too out of control and get too dialed up when he's near the basket. He's always going to be short, but I hope that with time and experience, he finishes at the rim more efficiently. 

He seems to fall away from the basket a good bit as well. Which is preferred if he figures out the technique. He's too small and "Unathletic" to take on these Bigs. He's gonna get himself killed lol. 

I hope the Nash phone calls talked a lot about the scoop shot. Scoop that ***** up there and get the heck out the way lol. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I'm a big time Alabama homer so there is that. I've wanted Sexton since last November lol

lol I feel you. I hope he turns out to be pretty good in the pros. Cleveland needs it badly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Gotta make those layups though. He bricked every one. He could have had 40 points.

Haven't been able to watch any of the games, just highlights. Hopefully he is able to change it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, cwell1 said:

lol I feel you. I hope he turns out to be pretty good in the pros. Cleveland needs it badly

Alabama's basketball program could use a guy turning into a stud in the pros too lol. 

I hope Sexton gets out of there as fast he can and goes to play for a better team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyler Dorsey is such a black hole. 

Dribbles the ball up. Holds it for 16 full seconds. Turns it over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Assisted or scored on 16 of the final 20 points.   Not too worried about the floaters and layups.  I saw him make enough gorgeous floaters in college, with either hand, to know he can make them.  Just like in college, he needs to get way more consistent with them, and really hit the weight room after Vegas.  But with some more strength and experience, I think he'll vastly improve there.  The most important thing is he is showing he can get to the rim in the first instance, with good burst, crossovers, and an assortment of hesitation moves.

Kid's passing is so good.  I was pretty convinced on draft day that we got the best passer in the draft, despite all the talk about Doncic being a transcendent passer.  Still feel that way.  But, I wasn't too worried after a couple bad SL games, and I'm not going to get too excited about a couple good performances either.  Still think he's got a huge ceiling, but also a very low floor, and he'll need to show the work ethic to max out his potential.  If he can take anything from Steph, it shouldn't be the in-game stuff, it should be the relentless practice to hone his skills.

mqg96 and Drew4719 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

Wow! The hawks come back from 27 down to win the game! Incredible play from Trae Young down the stretch. 

I know it's early but the young man is starting to impress me a little.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites