Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jayu70

Summer League 2018 - Utah and Las Vegas

249 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Beef said:

Really wish Huerter was playing. He’s got 4 weeks left on his hand before he’s supposed to be back. 

Will he get to play in any summer league games?

No Summer League, will be ready for camp in September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Young needs to get stronger. His defense needs a lot of work. The suspect shot selection Young showed late last season for Oklahoma isn’t likely to go over well with his Hawks teammates and coach Lloyd Pierce. 

But Pierce said his philosophy is to wait until later to address Young’s shortcomings . For now, Pierce said he’ll let Young loose during summer league play beginning next week in Utah and let him showcase the talent that made him a star for the Sooners. 

“I think one of the mistakes I’ve seen in the past is you already know what you want to help (rookies) with and you go right to that immediately, so they are dealing with their failures as opposed to just addressing who they are,” Pierce said. “Let Trae play. Give him the ball. Let him play in pick-and-roll, let him find his teammates. He’s done that his entire career. Let him do that. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

 

 

Sounds like the guys are developing their relationships.  It’s great that these guys will get to grow together.

jayu70 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Collins said he’s already seeing a difference with the new coaching staff. 

 

“It’s definitely a lot more lax,” Collins said. “A lot younger, so I think that helps a little bit communication-wise having younger coaches to interact with. You get it a little bit more than (with) older coaches because there’s an age gap.” 

 

“Our biggest word is ‘touches,’” Pierce said. “A lot of high-fives. We want to have connectivity between our players, between our staff. We want to have connectivity with our offense. We are going to be running a lot of motion, especially in summer league, and everybody gets to touch the basketball. We want to have fun playing together and we also want to be connected.” 

No.11, Drew4719 and blkbigdog35 like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jayu70 said:

 

Collins said he’s already seeing a difference with the new coaching staff. 

 

“It’s definitely a lot more lax,” Collins said. “A lot younger, so I think that helps a little bit communication-wise having younger coaches to interact with. You get it a little bit more than (with) older coaches because there’s an age gap.” 

 

“Our biggest word is ‘touches,’” Pierce said. “A lot of high-fives. We want to have connectivity between our players, between our staff. We want to have connectivity with our offense. We are going to be running a lot of motion, especially in summer league, and everybody gets to touch the basketball. We want to have fun playing together and we also want to be connected.” 

That's what I like to see. I didn't mind that Pierce was all about defense and making sure the team was squared away on that end, but up until now I didn't see him talk about what they're gonna be doing on offense and that concerned me a little. Good to see he'll be retaining that style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach Pierce giving me Dan Quinn vibes. He lets the guys be themselves but he has a vision and style that he wants to see come to life on the court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Coach Pierce giving me Dan Quinn vibes. He lets the guys be themselves but he has a vision and style that he wants to see come to life on the court.

I LOVE the concept of loading the team up with players who are adept at scoring, passing, and assisting already... and then having a defensive guru coach running the show.

It's very much a DQ-like situation.

We scored 103.4 ppg (25th) and gave up 108.8 ppg (23rd) last season.

if we can even those out this season, and then flip them next season, and then expand it further by about 2 points each way in 2020, we will have a team competing for championships.

 

Lets hope we end up with 3 first round picks again next year.  And hopefully at least 2 of those are lottery picks.  Maybe even all 3.

We could be onto something special here soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Beef said:

I LOVE the concept of loading the team up with players who are adept at scoring, passing, and assisting already... and then having a defensive guru coach running the show.

It's very much a DQ-like situation.

We scored 103.4 ppg (25th) and gave up 108.8 ppg (23rd) last season.

if we can even those out this season, and then flip them next season, and then expand it further by about 2 points each way in 2020, we will have a team competing for championships.

 

Lets hope we end up with 3 first round picks again next year.  And hopefully at least 2 of those are lottery picks.  Maybe even all 3.

We could be onto something special here soon.

Cpt obvious! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jayu70 said:

Schleck said he wanted skilled guys, guys who can Shoot, Dribble and Pass - D.P.S.

He got that in this draft with all 3 players.

And they're all high IQ players. Chemistry isn't hard to come by when you have guys like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait for the summer league to start tomorrow. Excited about seeing the last two draft classes.

2018 ATLANTA HAWKS SUMMER LEAGUE ROSTER
Player Pos Ht Wt Birthdate Prior to NBA / Home Country Yrs
#10 Jaylen Adams G 6-2 190 5/04/96 St. Bonaventure / USA R
#0 Antonius Cleveland G 6-6 195 2/02/94 Southeast Missouri State / USA 1
#20 John Collins F/C 6-10 235 9/23/97 Wake Forest / USA 1
#2 Tyler Dorsey G 6-5 183 2/18/96 Oregon / USA 1
#1 Kevin Huerter G 6-7 190 8/27/98 Maryland / USA R
#4 Robert Johnson G 6-3 195 5/27/95 Indiana / USA R
#42 Alpha Kaba F 6-10 242 9/21/96 ASVEL Basket (France) / France R
#34 Jock Landale C 6-11 255 10/25/95 Saint Mary's College / Australia R
#32 Zach LeDay F 6-7 230 5/30/94 Hapoel Gilboa Galil (Israel) / USA R
#3 Jaylen Morris G 6-5 185 9/19/95 Molloy College / USA 1
#7 Junior Robinson G 5-5 150 2/15/96 Mount St. Mary's / USA R
#30 Brandon Sampson G 6-5 184 5/01/97 LSU / USA R
#41 Zach Smith F 6-8 220 1/05/96 Texas Tech / USA R
#6 Omari Spellman F 6-9 245 7/21/97 Villanova / USA R
#11 Trae Young G 6-2 180 9/19/98 Oklahoma / USA R

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2018 at 4:33 PM, jayu70 said:

Summer League Scrimmage

 

 

What's up with Collins and those shorts?

 

Has he been spending time with Ron Artest aka Metta World Peace?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

#7 Junior Robinson G 5-5 150 2/15/96 Mount St. Mary's / USA

LOL, 5’5”??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites