Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jayu70

Summer League 2018 - Utah and Las Vegas

245 posts in this topic

The Atlanta Hawks gear up for summer league in Las Vegas

yardbarker.com  

With the draft complete and Atlanta’s three new faces officially becoming official, they now get the opportunity to showcase their talents in the 2017 summer league in Las Vegas. John Collins, Tyler Dorsey, and Alpha Kaba are all on the roster and will demonstrate their abilities alongside other young players and familiar faces who have made a home overseas. The fans will get a first look into what a team fielding John Collins will look like, they’ll get to witness Dorsey’s incredible range while scoring in bunches, and feast their eyes on big man Kaba grabbing rebounds with his impressive wingspan at 7’5”.

Yes, other teams will also look to the summer league to give them that much-needed boost to head into the 2017-18 season, but the Hawks need to establish their dominance and look to develop chemistry with their new talent. Plenty of lottery picks from this and past years’ drafts will be on display as everyone battles to show that they belong in the NBA.

Coach Mike Budenholzer will quickly want to get a feel for each player in a game situation. To work hard in practice against teammates is one thing, but to compete against other equivalent or even better talent takes a certain character that the Hawks need at the moment. With Millsap likely to leave and the Hawks currently negotiating with Hardaway Jr., there isn’t much certainty in the long run for the roster. Collins (#20), Dorsey (#2), and Kaba (#11) are the first step towards reshaping this franchise into the consistent playoff contender it is meant to be.

Chemistry will be the key word during summer league, as all three draft picks from this year are set to feature alongside last year’s rookies in Taurean Prince, DeAndre Bembry, and Isaia Cordinier. Prince had the most prominent role last year, carving out an average of 16.6 minutes per game in 59 games underneath and alongside Millsap and Howard. Bembry was largely a young role player who averaged just under 10 minutes off the bench. Cordinier went back to play in France after being drafted 44th overall and played in the 2016 summer league as well. All 6 players will look to develop together over the next couple of weeks and show Budenholzer that each is deserving of a spot on the team for next season.

Joining both draft classes are several other G-league, formerly the D-league, and overseas players. UNC’s Nate Britt will also enjoy a cameo after going undrafted and looking to sign a contract with possible suitors. The G-league representatives include: Josh Magette at point guard, Duje Dukan at forward, and Quincy Ford at small forward/shooting guard. The international-based players feature: Bryce Cotton at point guard who has NBA experience, Trent Lockett at shooting guard based in Spain, and Richard Soloman at power forward earning his paycheck in France.

There will certainly be experience surrounding the young stars in Las Vegas and they should feel comfortable in going out and putting on a show. The Hawks also might want to keep an eye on other talent on display; a hidden gem found in summer league play is no less valuable than any other if they can contribute consistently to what the Hawks have set out to do. Collins, Dorsey, and Kaba have had a hectic couple of days, but their careers have only just started and many Hawks fans are excited to see what they can do in red and black.

This article first appeared on isportsweb.com and was syndicated with permission.

DeAndre’ Bembry ready to emerge for Atlanta Hawks in sophomore campaign

by Brad Rowland@BTRowland Jul 9, 2017, 8:00am EDT

Peachtree Hoops  

Atlanta’s roster is turning over and DeAndre’ Bembry is ready.

DeAndre’ Bembry was, at least in some ways, the forgotten man for the Atlanta Hawks during the 2016-2017 season. The No. 21 overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft failed to crack the rotation for the majority of his rookie campaign and, frankly, that wasn’t a shock given that the team was focused on making the playoffs with veterans like Kent Bazemore, Thabo Sefolosha, Kyle Korver and Tim Hardaway Jr. slotted ahead of Bembry in the pecking order.

However, the emergence of fellow 2016 first-round selection Taurean Prince down the stretch and into the playoffs pushed Bembry aside further in the minds of many observers. Prince’s skill set is certainly different than that of Bembry, as he is bigger, more physical and more capable of holding up defensively against the league’s premier small forwards. With that said, Bembry was considered “NBA-ready” when arriving out of St. Joseph’s and the log jam that preceded him did not allow for a full-fledged breakout in year one.

Now, though, Bembry looks to be ready to go and the current path of Atlanta’s roster aligns with that potential emergence. The Hawks appear to be headed in a rebuilding direction, as the decks have been cleared during the summer with a focus on youth, flexibility and versatility.

That, of course, doesn’t mean that Bembry is rooting for chaos on the roster but he also isn’t shying away from the challenge that could arrive should he be presented with more playing time. “I would love for the older guys to stay,” Bembry said after Atlanta’s opener in the Las Vegas Summer League. “But I would also love to be out there. I feel like that’s where the team is heading, more toward younger guys.”

Bembry turned 23 years old this week after spending three years at St. Joseph’s and, while he is certainly young, it isn’t as if the former Atlantic 10 Player of the Year is too raw to contribute. His skill set is a rare one in that Bembry isn’t a dominant scoring prospect but a young player that is more than willing to get his teammates involved via high-level passing vision and basketball IQ.

“I feel very comfortable with the ball in DeAndre’s hands,” Hawks assistant and Summer League head coach Charles Lee indicated after the opener. “He did a great job of making decisions. He plays with such a great pace off of the pick-and-roll. It’s a like quarterback. He sees his check-downs, he looks for the pocket pass, it’s not there, now all of a sudden maybe he’s getting to our floater, maybe he’s kicking it to the high quadrant... he has done a great job evolving his game and becoming a lot more comfortable in pick-and-roll situations.”

Because the Hawks have been starved for secondary play-making in support of Dennis Schröder in the recent past, it makes a great deal of sense that Bembry would step into that role during his sophomore campaign. There will be bumps along the way, simply because he didn’t have the opportunity to learn “on the fly” as much as many rookies, but Bembry clearly sees the game in advanced terms and that aids in his projection.

The young perimeter player spoke about the growth that took place over the course of his first season with basketball as a full-time occupation. “Just being in the NBA for a full year,” Bembry said. “You learn so much. We had so many vets on the team last year, and I got bits and pieces from each person. Then just learning from Taurean, who was starting during the playoffs, I got to see a rookie go out and do things that we knew we could do. I’m just coming out here this year trying to slow it down, be more patient, make the right plays and take the right shots.”

Bembry’s development on the mental side is certainly worth monitoring but that was clearly an area in which the Hawks placed real faith in the former St. Joseph’s star during the draft process. The selection of Bembry, along with that of Prince, was seen as a “safe” investment given the way that he projected in the modern NBA but it did come with a giant question mark.

Can DeAndre’ Bembry shoot at this level?

Bembry struggled from the perimeter at times during his college run, shooting just 31.2 percent (including 26.6 percent in his final season) from beyond the arc over his career at St. Joe’s. As a rookie in the NBA, much was made of Bembry’s rough performance from three-point range (1 of 18 in total) and that certainly did not quell the worries that perimeter shooting would become a hindrance to his overall growth.

As you would expect, Bembry is fully aware of the skepticism and need for improvement, lending him to place real focus on his jump shot over the brief time period between the end of the 2016-2017 season and the start of Summer League in July.

When prompted about his shooting, Bembry said, “That’s the biggest thing I’ve been working on all summer. I took a week off after the season and I was probably the first one back in the gym. Just working with Ben Sullivan and our assistant coaches. I’ve been in the gym all summer working on my jump shot. And also other things but mainly my jump shot.”

The Summer League opener did not provide a revealing window into that development but it was clear that Bembry believes he will unlock quite a bit should his jumper improve in the near term. “I feel like if I get the jump shot down,” Bembry said. “I feel like I’m a real hard guard. As you can see today, I got to the rim whenever I wanted to but I feel like, if I can knock that shot down, I’ll be a tough guard.”

There is little question about Bembry’s play-making and vision and, as a defender, there were positive signs during his rookie campaign. The 23-year-old will need to add strength to emerge as a plus player defensively but, as he notes, the jump shot is the pivot point for Bembry’s career path.

DeAndre’ Bembry may be something of an unknown at this stage but, in a few months, it appears likely that he will given the opportunity to display his skills on a broader level. He’s ready to do so and it will be intriguing to see what he can do in a bigger role for 2017-2018 and beyond.

© 2017 Vox Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved Sports data © STATS 2016

Drew4719 likes this

NBA Summer League 2017: Monday Schedule, Latest Las Vegas Standings and Stats

Andy Bailey

Bleacher Report | July 10, 2017

The NBA Summer League in Las Vegas continued on Sunday, as 16 teams battled it out in the desert.

Plenty of young talent showed up, including John Collins of the Atlanta Hawks and Dennis Smith of the Dallas Mavericks.

Collins, who led the NCAA in Player Efficiency Rating last season, showed that ultra-efficient game, scoring 22 points on 9-of-11 shooting and grabbing 10 boards in 24 minutes against the New Orleans Pelicans.

Collins slipped all the way to No. 19 in the draft because some questioned the often traditional post man's ability to play a modern game. If he consistently runs the floor like he did on this play shared by the Hawks, he should be just fine:

Even in today's three-heavy game, a good rim runner can be immensely impactful. If Collins is a threat in transition and rolling to the basket, defenders will have to commit to the paint. And when that happens, shooters will find themselves open.

Things are going to get harder when the real games start, but Collins is showing plenty of good signs in Vegas.

As for Smith, he continues to dominate, not only with his well-advertised explosiveness, but with a feel for the game that's leading to highlights like these provided by the NBA:

"Mavs feel very fortunate that Dennis Smith Jr. slid to 9," tweeted ESPN's Tim MacMahon. As well they should.

It's early, but no other point guard looks quite as comfortable in the early going as Smith. And as he grows into his role with the regular-season Mavericks, the core of Smith, Seth Curry, Harrison Barnes and Nerlens Noel might start to surprise a few people.

Smith will have the day off on Monday, but there's sure to be a few more performances that get the fans buzzing in Vegas.

Monday Schedule
•Atlanta Hawks (1-1) vs. Chicago Bulls (0-1), 4 p.m. ET on ESPNU
•Miami Heat (1-0) vs. Washington Wizards (0-1), 4:30 p.m. ET on NBA TV
•Brooklyn Nets (1-1) vs. New Orleans Pelicans (0-2), 6 p.m. ET on ESPNU
•Houston Rockets (1-1) vs. Phoenix Suns (1-1), 6:30 p.m. ET on NBA TV
•Denver Nuggets (0-2) vs. Toronto Raptors (2-0), 8 p.m. ET on ESPNU
•Golden State Warriors (0-1) vs. Cleveland Cavaliers (2-0), 8:30 p.m. ET on NBA TV
•Los Angeles Clippers (2-0) vs. Milwaukee Bucks (1-1), 10 p.m. ET on ESPN 2
•Los Angeles Lakers (0-2) vs. Sacramento Kings (0-1), 10:30 p.m. ET on NBA TV

Standings
•Boston Celtics (2-0)
•Cleveland Cavaliers (2-0)
•Dallas Mavericks (2-0)
•Los Angeles Clippers (2-0)
•Memphis Grizzlies (2-0)
•Toronto Raptors (2-0)
•Miami Heat (1-0)
•Atlanta Hawks (1-1)
•Brooklyn Nets (1-1)
•Houston Rockets (1-1)
•Milwaukee Bucks (1-1)
•Minnesota Timberwolves (1-1)
•Philadelphia 76ers (1-1)
•Phoenix Suns (1-1)
•Portland Trail Blazers (1-1)
•San Antonio Spurs (1-1)
•Chicago Bulls (0-1)
•Golden State Warriors (0-1)
•Washington Wizards (0-1)
•Denver Nuggets (0-2)
•Los Angeles Lakers (0-2)
•New Orleans Pelicans (0-2)
•Sacramento Kings (0-2)
•Utah Jazz (0-2)

Drew4719 likes this

Tyler Dorsey exits Summer League game for Hawks with injury

ByJoseph Nocco

FanRag Sports  

The Atlanta Hawks recently just signed rookie big man and former Oregon Ducks standout Tyler Dorsey to a fully guaranteed contract. However, the up-and-comer has now endured a bout of injury trouble during the NBA’s Summer League action.

While suiting up for the Hawks on Monday afternoon for Summer League action against the Chicago Bulls, Dorsey encountered what has since been diagnosed as a sprained right ankle. Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has also indicated that the young big man will not return to the floor against the aforementioned Bulls. However, the severity of the setback has yet to be revealed at this time.

Dorsey was originally selected by the Eastern Conference franchise with the 41st overall pick in second round of last month’s NBA Draft.

The 21-year-old previously played his collegiate basketball for the Ducks while remaining with the program for two seasons. Suiting up for the Ducks in both 2015-16 and 2016-17, he went on to appear in 75 career games during his Oregon tenure. Averaging an even 30 minutes per game over the course of the last two seasons, Dorsey also managed to register 14.1 points, 3.9 rebounds, 1.8 assists  and 0.8 steals. In his final season with the Pac-12 program, he recorded 14.6 points, 3.5 rebounds, 1.7 assists and 0.8 steals across 30 minutes per game.

Hawks 92 (3-2), Rockets 86 (2-3)

The Atlanta Hawks exploded for 34 points in the fourth quarter, overcoming a six-point deficit to down the Houston Rockets.

While it took Atlanta some time to truly find its offensive rhythm, it finished the contest shooting a solid 46.7 percent from the field, while the Rockets converted just 41.8 percent of their attempts.

Much of the focus was on Hawks first-round draft pick John Collins, and he didn't disappoint, providing some highlight-reel dunks.

As seen in this video courtesy of the Hawks' official Twitter account, Collins proved difficult to stop when he created some space in the paint:

Although Collins finished with only seven points and five rebounds, the Wake Forest product flashed his big-time potential.

The biggest starring performance for the Hawks came from unheralded guard Trent Lockett, who led the team with 17 points to go along with five rebounds, three assists and two blocks.

He doesn't receive nearly the amount of attention Collins does, but he proved in the game that he has some remarkable hops in his own right:

Despite coming out on the losing end, the Rockets benefited from some solid performances, with L.J. Peak and Chris Johnson scoring 19 and 17 points, respectively.

The Rockets traded much of their depth to land guard Chris Paul from the Los Angeles Clippers, which means there should be open roster sports.

Peak went undrafted out of Georgetown, but he was 6-of-8 from the field Friday and made his case to be considered as a bench player in 2017-18.

Been enjoying Summer League more than the regular season the last few years.  These young dudes are hungry, but once the regular season starts, it looks like players only care about drawing fouls, self-preservation, and ball-watching.  The NBA is going to have a huge parity issue, even worse than now, soon.

We had 17 players on our 2017 SL team.

Possible 2018 Roster:

1. John Collins
2. Deandre Bembry (he missed too much injury time)
3. Tyler Dorsey
4. Damion Lee (we were trying to sign him but deal fell through)
5. Isaiah Taylor
6. Tyler Cavanaugh (was released earlier but could be brought back)
7. Josh Magette  - will he be back or will he go play for DadBud  (he still has a 2way GL contract)
8. Antonius Cleveland
9. Jaylen Morris
10. Andrew White (2way GL contract)
11. Alpha Kaba

12. #3 pick

13. #19 pick

14. #30 pick

15. #34 pick

That leaves 2 more slots.

Draft and Stashes:

Isaia Cordinier (not healthy,  he had knee surgery on both knees). He wanted to play with GL last season.

Drafted 2015 - Dimitrios Agravanis - torn ACL in Dec.
Drafted 2015 - Marcus Eriksson - he has been playing well recently.

51 minutes ago, blkbigdog35 said:

Two things I'm excited to see.

Young to Collins pick and roll.

Young making a shot from about half court, sending the crowd into a frenzy and the media scrambling for clicks.

9 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Two things I'm excited to see.

Young to Collins pick and roll.

Young making a shot from about half court, sending the crowd into a frenzy and the media scrambling for clicks.

Yeah that should be pretty fun to see.  I honestly think we are going to see a different game from Collins because I think he has a good outside shot plus him rolling to the basket off the screen should be nasty.

Below is our full schedule, including broadcast information:

July 7: 2:30 pm PT (5:30 pm ET) - Hawks vs. Knicks (ESPN)

July 8: 2:30 pm PT (5:30 pm ET) - Hawks vs. Blazers (ESPN2)

July 10: 3:00 pm PT (6:00 pm ET) - Hawks vs. Bulls (NBA TV)

5 hours ago, red2play said:

Below is our full schedule, including broadcast information:

July 7: 2:30 pm PT (5:30 pm ET) - Hawks vs. Knicks (ESPN)

July 8: 2:30 pm PT (5:30 pm ET) - Hawks vs. Blazers (ESPN2)

July 10: 3:00 pm PT (6:00 pm ET) - Hawks vs. Bulls (NBA TV)

Utah Summer League first:

Utah: 
7/2 - Hawks/Grizz (7:00 pm ET)
7/3 - Hawks/Spurs (7:00 pm ET)
7/5 - Hawks/Jazz (9:00 pm ET)

All on NBA TV.

Really wish Huerter was playing. He’s got 4 weeks left on his hand before he’s supposed to be back. 

Will he get to play in any summer league games?

52 minutes ago, Beef said:

Really wish Huerter was playing. He’s got 4 weeks left on his hand before he’s supposed to be back. 

Will he get to play in any summer league games?

I doubt it from what I have read but there is no need to rush him.  He will be ready for training camp.