Unkn0wn

Trade Rumors

605 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Ransack said:

Still.... what's the rush?

The rush is that the Braves truly can be a playoff team in 2018 with the right moves.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

Royals get Trevor Cahill, Brandon Maurer and Ryan Buchter from SD for Matt Strahm, Travis Wood and Estuery Ruiz

Surprised to see the Royals dump Matt Strahm. I like him. Good get for the Padres.

1 hour ago, Unkn0wn said:

We'll see. It seems like the Braves were just clearing payroll to add another SP. 

I don't think it has to be about who we add. We could buy a better prospect in a different deal by assuming more payroll now. Alternately, we could buy one of those compensatory picks in next year's draft again.

This move does give us flexibility. The opportunity cost is that we punt Garcia for a guy that John Sickels said would have been cut by now if he weren't an $800k bonus baby. We basically traded Garcia for nothing to avoid paying him the rest of his salary.

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

I don't think it has to be about who we add. We could buy a better prospect in a different deal by assuming more payroll now. Alternately, we could buy one of those compensatory picks in next year's draft again.

This move does give us flexibility. The opportunity cost is that we punt Garcia for a guy that John Sickels said would have been cut by now if he weren't an $800k bonus baby. We basically traded Garcia for nothing to avoid paying him the rest of his salary.

That seems to be the point of the trade. Looks like they hope to use that $4.7M by acquiring someone. They were at the top of the payroll already with no more flexibility. They may have needed that money to add Gray or someone else. So we get a light return in exchange for salary dump. 

1 minute ago, Unkn0wn said:

That seems to be the point of the trade. Looks like they hope to use that $4.7M by acquiring someone. They were at the top of the payroll already with no more flexibility. They may have needed that money to add Gray or someone else. So we get a light return in exchange for salary dump. 

That is what it seems like. If we land Gray I'll be very happy. I know I'm higher on Gray than others here are but I think he would be worth it. Yes he's had some injury issues but he made 30 starts in 2014 and 2015.