droopy1592

Your views of the rest of the NFC south for 2017?

87 posts in this topic

I haven't had time this year, unlike last year, to really put a lot of effort into analyzing and evaluating our enemies' draft picks, UFDAs, and FA signings. From what little research I have done, here is how I feel about about the division.

Da Sucs: Our biggest challenge next year IMHO. They have new impact players on offense, that while individually added may not have caused much concern, but as a whole will increase their offensive power considerably. I see them as being one of the top offenses in the league, and with an improving (but inconsistent) defense, could really cause some issues in the conference and not just this division. 

Panties: I can't stand Cam and wished he would fall into a tar pit full of feathers, but with a faster and more agile backfield for 2017, could be just what the doctor ordered. Cam isn't the most accurate, but I see the checkdown and RBs out wide quite a bit for him, which is just what Cam needs along with a better run game. And with Olsen having less slot duties and being helped out by the backfield, he's going to have a bigger year than usual. Their defense will be more of the same, perhaps with an improved secondary. Overall, I see improvement around the board, some minor and some more than minor, and they could possibly steal a game from us if some silliness happens

Aints: 7-9. Already. Fuk 'em.

What are your thoughts? I feel like this can be an education thread to those like me who haven't really had the time to evaluate our enemies. 

You summed it up perfectly.

The Bucs look dangerous on paper, once again, but they haven't been consistent enough for me to worry. They haven't had sustained success leading into the playoffs like the Falcons and Panthers had. Ill predict them to be better once they establish more chemistry.

The Panthers once they are healthy are definitely going to be competing. If they were to get back to close what they resembled a couple years ago then they could be right behind us in the division. Im just not convinced on them being better than the Falcons due to Cam being inconsistent and hurt (recovering from shoulder surgery). 

Saints - ha.

Vandy likes this

2 minutes ago, Crazy Trav said:

The Bucs look dangerous on paper, once again, but they haven't been consistent enough for me to worry. They haven't had sustained success leading into the playoffs like the Falcons and Panthers had. Ill predict them to be better once they establish more chemistry.

This should be the year it happens.  Third time around in Koetter's offense, with a much improved receiving corps.  If the run game is good, and that hinges on a resurrected Doug Martin, the offense is elite.  Second year in Smitty's system, which blossomed in the second half last year, and features a player mix that will now allow much more complex looks.

Aside from Martin, the big question marks are Winston (can he continue to rein in his street-ball impulses and continue to make incremental improvements in his accuracy) and the kicking game (can Aguayo fix himself or will it be Folk)?

Shelley#37 and The O.D.B like this

The NFC South is going to be very very competitive. I think we all would agree on that. I think we win the division but it all comes down to injuries and QB play. If Scam and Crablegs have great years look out and you know brees will be great. The NFC south could be the best division in the NFL 

Vandy and Lowndesfalc like this

Bucs: Like you, I think the Bucs will be the biggest challenge.  Nice weapons on offense and the combo of Evans and Jackson is gonna be dangerous.  Koetter is a good OC in my opinion.  Everything hinges on whether Jameis is as good as they hope and truly takes that next step to be a franchise QB.  I think their D has great players (McCoy, David, etc.) and will be solid to good at least.  I could see anywhere from 7-9 to 12-4.  All hinges on Winston.

Panthers: Not sure.  I have a weird feeling they'll be slightly better than last year but not much.  They have guys like Kuechly and Lotulei but I think their D is getting older.  Davis & Peppers are not young and neither is Charles Johnson.  I'm not sure how good they'll be on that side and they have some good pieces on offense but if I was ranking their offense in the division they'd be 4th.  

Saints: I think AP will still have plenty in the tank because he's not human.  Their offense has never been their problem though and while I still expect them to put up points and see some of their young receivers grow, I do think losing Cooks hurts and outside of Cameron Jordan, nobody on their defense scares me.

Tim Mazetti and PokerSteve like this

I think NO could be the biggest threat. They have literally no D yet their offense has consistently carried them to 7 wins per season. If they improve their D even a little bit I see 10 wins in their future.

That said, I think the Falcons will be a juggernaut this year that should still be able to handle the division

BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

Posted (edited)

Bucs - if they can get back to their level of play from the 2nd half last year and improve on it, they'll be a handful IMO Winston and his shaky improvisation will be why they fall short. If he some how improves that part of his game they could have us fighting for a wild card. (I don't see it though). The potential is very close to us on paper.

Saints - Like Slamee said, if AP gives them a run game then Drew will come to life. Their defense will still stink and AP likely won't last the whole season. If our dline can't get to drew straight up then our games with them will be much closer as you don't want to be running stunts if AP is running people over. 

Panthers - Not skuuured, they added short route talent and Cam isn't a short route QB, Cam thrives in the mid - long game. They won't have an answer for the Bucs Dline or ours and Drew will eat their Secondary alive.

Edited by The O.D.B

Sucs - Don't have the coaching staff leadership/intelligence or offensive line to be a threat. I'm not sold on the QB either.

Panties - Scam is more worried about being a celebrity and a fashion plate than a Hall of Fame QB. Plus they are now switching to an offensive style that is in opposition to their QB's strengths.

Taints - Still have no defense and the management seems clueless. QB is getting old.

Saints - They have an absolutely horrendous defense, and just traded away their best offensive weapon in Cooks.  Brees still a good QB but getting older every year.  Just lost starting LT for half the season.  I don't think adding an aging RB to a below average run game is going to help much.  Don't see them as a threat at all.  I think they are a 6-7 win team.  

Bucs - Lots of big names on the offense, and even tho I expect them to improve I kinda get the sense of an 'elite on paper' team that will really be more like an 8-8 team once the season rolls around.  

Panthers - Cam will play better than last year (but not at 2015 level), not worried about new offensive weapons that don't fit their scheme, they didn't fire their idiot OC.  A little concerned about their D, I think they will take a huge leap here.  Peppers isn't washed up yet.  Their D-line is scary.  Their LB's are elite.  The rookie CBs we embarrassed last year not only have a year under their belt playing together, but some vet leadership in the defensive backfield.  See them as a 9-10 win team and our biggest challenge.

SamMills51 and BIRDLAND 2.0 like this

15 minutes ago, ATL80 said:

Saints - They have an absolutely horrendous defense, and just traded away their best offensive weapon in Cooks.  Brees still a good QB but getting older every year.  Just lost starting LT for half the season.  I don't think adding an aging RB to a below average run game is going to help much.  Don't see them as a threat at all.  I think they are a 6-7 win team.  

Bucs - Lots of big names on the offense, and even tho I expect them to improve I kinda get the sense of an 'elite on paper' team that will really be more like an 8-8 team once the season rolls around.  

Panthers - Cam will play better than last year (but not at 2015 level), not worried about new offensive weapons that don't fit their scheme, they didn't fire their idiot OC.  A little concerned about their D, I think they will take a huge leap here.  Peppers isn't washed up yet.  Their D-line is scary.  Their LB's are elite.  The rookie CBs we embarrassed last year not only have a year under their belt playing together, but some vet leadership in the defensive backfield.  See them as a 9-10 win team and our biggest challenge.

Honestly I think Michael Thomas is a bigger threat (pun intended) than Brandon Cooks, which is why the latter became expendable. He's the second coming of Marques Colston. Add in a reliable, speedy option in Willie Snead and they won't miss Cooks. Cooks is still a viable #1, but he was the odd man out, especially if he was looking for #1 money. It was a good deal for the Pats and Saints.

Tampa is a threat, but in order for them to take over this division they'll have to go through us, and I don't see that happening. Even if they do have the offensive talent to match us, our defense will be the difference.

Kung-Pow likes this

Don't think anyone else has the combination of defense and offense that the falcons do.

Panthers are relying on Kalil at tackle, he played 2 games last year, hasn't been good since 2012, they're also about to switch over to more of  a short passing game, which is hardly Cam's strength-really looking forward to all the overthrown outlet passes this year.  He also won't be able to practice throwing to his new toys much of the off-season.

Their defense has some age and a key piece is one hit away from missing the season/retiring[ as always, not wishing for that to happen, just stating the fact]

Won't believe the Saints have a defense until I see it on the field, until then, 7-9 again.  Brees gives them a punchers chance every game, but that defense takes it away. Another Oline injury or two and it could get ugly over there.

Bucs? Not going to worry about them until I see it They still have Hawley at center, one of the reasons for Crableg's inconsistency is the Oline, don't see they did enough to fix that. Plus, they traded up to draft a kicker in the second round, the muscle hamster may not be available first few games.

Be mildly disappointed if the falcons don't sweep the division, assuming good health for the team. When healthy, I think they're the class of the division.

Posted (edited)

If we get sloppy, TB will win the division.  Everyone will be gunning for us, while not taking us seriously with a lead, so we'll be in a war every week.

Edited by Stray Dog THA GAWD

1 hour ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

If we get sloppy, TB will win the division.  Everyone will be gunning for us, while not taking us seriosuly with a lead, so we'll be in a war every week.

No........................ 28-3 thingy?

PokerSteve likes this

8 hours ago, WornOutFalconFan said:

Falcons - Top 3 team in the NFL if not the best.

Buccaneers - Suck

Panthers - Suck more

Saints - :lol:

Concise Comedy Channel analysis. Falcons biggest game every week is themselves. Birds can annihilate every team this year with a healthy Oline, run game and punishing D front 7. 

2 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

If we get sloppy, TB will win the division.  Everyone will be gunning for us, while not taking us seriously with a lead, so we'll be in a war every week.

Is everybody going to have the best head coach and QB Combo ever?

19 hours ago, falconidae said:

Don't think anyone else has the combination of defense and offense that the falcons do.

Panthers are relying on Kalil at tackle, he played 2 games last year, hasn't been good since 2012, they're also about to switch over to more of  a short passing game, which is hardly Cam's strength-really looking forward to all the overthrown outlet passes this year.  He also won't be able to practice throwing to his new toys much of the off-season.

Their defense has some age and a key piece is one hit away from missing the season/retiring[ as always, not wishing for that to happen, just stating the fact]

Won't believe the Saints have a defense until I see it on the field, until then, 7-9 again.  Brees gives them a punchers chance every game, but that defense takes it away. Another Oline injury or two and it could get ugly over there.

Bucs? Not going to worry about them until I see it They still have Hawley at center, one of the reasons for Crableg's inconsistency is the Oline, don't see they did enough to fix that. Plus, they traded up to draft a kicker in the second round, the muscle hamster may not be available first few games.

Be mildly disappointed if the falcons don't sweep the division, assuming good health for the team. When healthy, I think they're the class of the division.

We may be the class of division talentwise, but i could definetley see scenarios where the panthers or possibly even Bucs win the division. it still all comes down to who stays healthiest, and of course coaching and execution. 

Since I can't resist adding my homer flair to it, I'll say some of what I think of the Panthers.

Offense

Our offense has the chance to be the best ever under Cam. Unlike last year, we have a total of three players who can play slot - Shepard, McCaffrey, and Samuel - which is two more from 2015. We sorely lacked that third down move the chains reliable player we had in Cotchery, but we finally addressed the slot.

To add on, Olsen had most of his snaps from the slot, but with the least amount of production.

https://twitter.com/Pat_Thorman/status/875708563955601408

Adding in a few rookies and a veteran who excels in the slot should really benefit Olsen and allow him to expand. 

CMC compliments Stew and Cam really well with his LeSean McCoy style running and Le'Veon Bell patience. His ability from the slot just adds to his effectiveness.

Curtis Samuel's a fast beast who's a lot like Randall Cobb at his peak. His ability from the slot and quick cuts and reliability make him a pretty big threat that Cam needs.

Kelvin Benjamin. I have low expectations, but I do think he'll be better than last year two years removed from his ACL tear. When motivated, he may well be a pro-bowl caliber WR, but I'll temper him to a very big possession WR who teams have to account for.

Consider our offensive core for a moment. 

-Hybrid RB/QB Cam Newton

-Power RB Jonathan Stewart

-Hybrid RB/WR Christian McCaffrey

-Hybrid WR/RB Curtis Samuel

-Hybrid TE/WR Greg Olsen

-Big Possession WR Kelvin Benjamin

On paper, this is very hard to gameplan against due to how many options we can employ. This is essentially the base for a scary good option team that's never been implemented to this extent before. 

Only questions is LT. Oher is done, so our depth is a concern on that side. Matt Kalil is another question on whether he gets it together or not. 

Cam has a lot more weapons now, something he hasn't had nearly his whole career. He's been MVP for a reason, and many QB analysts understand he's had an underrated season in 2016 let down by his WRs and O-line. This offense has a lot of potential.

Defense

This defense is easily top 5 at the least, with potential to be one of the best in the NFL. Probably one of our most complete defenses ever honestly.

The tired old argument you guys attempt is that our defense is "old." If that's such a problem, then what of our 2015 defense, which was actually older on average overall than this year?

Our secondary's young (albeit Mike Adams -  Roman Harper esque player), most of our linebackers are young, and our DTs are young. Our defensive ends are old for the majority, but they still have a few years left in the tank. Addison and Hall will make the base of our future at DE, and we'll likely add more rookies as the years go on.

Julius Peppers is our upgraded version of Jared Allen. Mario Addison is what we wanted Kony Ealy to be, but with proven results (PFF's best third down pass rusher). Charles Johnson is Charles Johnson; injuries derailed his potential, but still has a positive impact. Wes Horton's a solid run stuffer. Daeshan Hall is our future.

Our DTs are studs. Star and Short make a deadly combo. Butler showed up near season's end, and Kyle Love's another beast rotational piece.

Our linebackers are stout and solid, with Shaq Thompson finally getting more of a role. Proved he was a beast in coverage last year, and should help keep Thomas Davis fresh. Keep arguing about Luke's concussion all you want - it's a valid concern too - but fact is Aaron Rodgers and other players were in a similar situation as Luke in his career, but they've remained healthy since. Depth is stellar with studs everywhere.

Our secondary is in one of its best shapes its ever been. James Bradberry I've already went on and on about, but Daryl Worley is massively underrated too. I've actually seen a few people argue Worley's better than Bradberry with valid reasons. A guy just posted an analysis of Worley's season in the case you guys are still doubting:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/topic/139035-analysis-daryl-worleys-rookie-season-growth-potential-and-dominance-a-look-at-a-very-underrated-panther-corner/

Captain Munnerlyn is one of the best nickels in the game today who still holds the record for most pick sixes on the Panthers. Corn Elder is a solid rookie with a lot of potential who can play nickel and on the outside.

Kurt Coleman's back in his 2015 position; and is still one of the better ballhawks in the NFC. Mike Adams is a former two time probowler who's still playing at a high level at SS. Dean Marlowe is a solid yound safety coming to his own, who would've replaced Boston last year had he been healthy.

You'd be hard pressed to find any holes on this defense. It's one of our most complete and deadly in years. 

Overall

I'd argue the Panthers are the most complete team in the NFC South everywhere on the field alongside the Falcons. Both have very few holes anywhere, with them mainly being somewhere on the offensive line. Both have potentially deadly offenses and defenses.

The Bucs may have the "better offense" on paper due to big brand names, but the Panthers have the future of where NFL offenses will go with how many options they have. Defensive coordinators will spend far more time trying to gameplan for the Panthers rather than the Bucs due to the unknown surprise element our offense has potential to have.

Everyone knows DeSean Jackson's role is to be a deep threat and fast, Mike Evans will do Mike Evans things, OJ Howard's a big rookie TE, and Jameis is up and coming QB to watch for. It's a lot of good players that have a specific role everyone knows about, but the surprise element isn't really there.

When going against the Panthers, you don't know whether McCaffrey will be a slot receiver or a runningback, whether Cam will run or throw, whether Olsen is a threat or distraction, whether Samuel is going to burn you deep, beat you in space, or run inside, or how to stop Kelvin Benjamin's sheer size from taking over while accounting for everyone else.

So many options and ways to confuse and destroy defenses. Panthers have potential to be the future of option football and wreck the league with it. The unknown element will keep defensive coordinators awake at night just trying to figure out how to stop such a juggernaut.

Add in our stud powered defense and it's apparent the Panthers are criminally being underrated. 

Minus the fluff, this Panthers team has potential to be one of the best overall we've ever fielded, and I'm not kidding. If we stay healthy, we could give the NFC South a run for its money. Falcons are the only other team that could compete with us at our current potential.

One thing for sure we are the top dog in the NFCS and the bottom feeders are always gunning for the top dog.  I don't think anyone of them have enough for us right now.  

On 6/17/2017 at 11:26 AM, JOEinPHX said:

This should be the year it happens.  Third time around in Koetter's offense, with a much improved receiving corps.  If the run game is good, and that hinges on a resurrected Doug Martin, the offense is elite.  Second year in Smitty's system, which blossomed in the second half last year, and features a player mix that will now allow much more complex looks.

Aside from Martin, the big question marks are Winston (can he continue to rein in his street-ball impulses and continue to make incremental improvements in his accuracy) and the kicking game (can Aguayo fix himself or will it be Folk)?

Isn't Martin suspended the 1st 4 games?