UGABOZ

Slow time around here. Lets talk!

64 posts in this topic

I'm still hesitant to make a UGA prediction. I don't think the OL will suddenly be awesome... may not even settle into a good unit until halfway through the season. The defense will have to carry the team in a few games imo. I do think Chubb and Sony have big production though.

I think they will do better than last year, but that's a fairly low bar.

sdogg likes this

I'm thinking 10 as well.  And with that terrible home schedule I'll be disappointed with less. 

10 or I'm really going to wonder about coach. I'll take nine if it includes Florida

10 maybe 11..

Sept. 2    APPALACHIAN STATE :)

Sept. 9  at Notre Dame :)

Sept. 16  SAMFORD :)

Sept. 23  MISSISSIPPI STATE :)

Sept. 30     at Tennessee :)

Oct. 7     at Vanderbilt :)

Oct. 14   MISSOURI :)

Oct. 28   Florida (Jacksonville) :huh:

Nov. 4    SOUTH CAROLINA :)

Nov. 11  at Auburn :(

Nov. 18  KENTUCKY :)

Nov. 25  at Georgia Tech :)

Bowl  :huh:

Posted (edited)

I honestly think they could go 12-0 with the weak schedule they have. They are a better team on paper then everyone they play this year. But 10-2 possibly 11-1 is more realistic. 

Edited by STI885

9 hours ago, STI885 said:

I honestly think they could go 12-0 with the weak schedule they have. They are a better team on paper then everyone they play this year. But 10-2 possibly 11-1 is more realistic. 

Totally agree.

But I've tempered my expectations at 10 wins.  Less than that and will not be happy.

We need to win big at ND. The ND game will be a good indicator for the rest of the season.

25 minutes ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

MSTATE will be a tough game, we always play barn tough, not buying thier hype

I agree. State has some former Ga players on the team along with Grantham coordinating the D. Could be a tough game if Ga isn't ready to go. Also don't sleep on Missouri or the ***** this year. Especially if any become noon kickoffs again like last year and they come sleep walking into it. 

Sept. 2    APPALACHIAN STATE :)

Sept. 9  at Notre Dame :)

Sept. 16  SAMFORD :)

Sept. 23  MISSISSIPPI STATE :)

Sept. 30     at Tennessee :)

Oct. 7     at Vanderbilt :)

Oct. 14   MISSOURI :)

Oct. 28   Florida (Jacksonville) :huh:

Nov. 4    SOUTH CAROLINA :)

Nov. 11  at Auburn :(

Nov. 18  KENTUCKY :)

Nov. 25  at Georgia Tech :)

App State... If we lose this, we've got bigger problems than we think. It likely means we've had no cohesion along the offensive line, Eason has stagnated or regressed, and our defense flat out didn't show up... The reality is App State nearly took down Tennessee were it not for a *very* fortunate fumble recovery. They are going to sneak up and bite someone, but if it's us, literally the season after they showed that they've got the goods, I've got some concerns with Kirby and Co's ability to keep our team grounded and motivated.

Notre Dame... Yes it's on the road early in the season. Yes it's Notre Dame. Yes, it's probably their biggest game not against a team from California. [I'd argue it could be bigger than both because it's early... they have a bye before facing USC at home (top pre-season ranked opponent) and Stanford will be a big deal but it's at the end of the season... a lot can happen between now and then]. And no, I don't care. This team went 4-8 last season... Their wins were Nevada, Syracuse, Miami (FL), and Army. Let that sink in and then add in that they'll have a first year starting quarterback (albeit a Junior)

Smart should have this team 2-0 coming out of this game... If we drop the Notre Dame game in a very competitive game, probably no need to panic, but a loss to App State or a decided loss to ND and this will set a poor tone for the rest of the season as well as the recruiting trail... neither of which can we really afford. 

Samford - No reason to drop this game. This should be an opportunity for the team to work out kinks before getting into the meat of the schedule. If we see another Nicholls type performance where starters are in the game late, again... red flags. 

Miss St/Tennessee/Vandy/Mizzou - These games I kind of bucket together, though could easily argue that they could be bucketed differently (first 2 second 2 for example). Miss St probably has the best offensive unit we'll see out of the 4... unclear yet what their defense will look like under their newly acquired but familiar to dawgs Def. Coordinator, Todd Grantham. At home, assuming the previous 3 weeks have gone according to plan, I see this as a very winnable game for UGA. This isn't the terrible Miss St. team of years past, but it's not a juggernaut and it's our SEC opener...

Tennessee lost a ton to the draft and neither of the last two matchups were unwinnable for us. On the road can see this one being tough, but we should be favored in this matchup and look to avenge the last 2... Also, our athletic trainers need to spend a ton of time the week before working on stretching and agility exercises to prepare for the minefield that is Kneeland.

Vandy loss last year was inexcusable... take care of business. Mizzou plays us a lot tighter than we'd like... Drew Lock has shown flashes of brilliance and we did not have a great answer for their offensive scheme last year. Falling a little later in the schedule and at home, would look for this game to be a little less interesting.

If you have to drop one of those 4, probably would prefer it to Miss State, but most likely would be Tennessee if I had to guess. Losing more than one of those games would be very problematic.

Florida - F--- em... Smart has to know this is *the* game... yes losing to Vandy and Tech last year was embarrassing. But they were both winnable games with some coaching mistakes... those can be corrected and learned from. It feels like it's been a while since we really went into the UF game and looked particularly competitive. And even longer since it felt like we were really in control. Gators lost a lot to the draft and call me crazy but I don't see Zaire as a particularly compelling starting QB. In limited play at Notre Dame, he was not terribly effective, and he couldn't seize the job for a somewhat lackluster team, why is the expectation that he'll be significantly better at Florida? Make him beat you in the air seems like a simple concept, but clearly we struggled with it 2 seasons in a row with possibly Florida's worst starting QB in history, so at this point who the heck knows... The game should be winnable, but it's not one I'll count in the win column until I see it... 

USC - Will be better than last year and better than most people expect. At home, I expect we should take care of business but would not be surprised in the least to see this game a lot tighter than we would prefer. 2018 and they might actually be pretty scary on the road.

Auburn - Who the heck knows. Generally speaking, Auburn is good when people think they'll be bad. And bad when people think they'll be good. The expectations are sky high this year... Right now, I have a tendency to believe that Stidham is going to be good for them... I'd count this in the loss column today but would not be surprised in the least to see them flounder.

UK/Ga Tech - Neither of these games should be concerning on the surface... both of them were tight last season, obviously with the loss to the nerds. If Smart drops either of these to wrap up the season, it will be either an unsightly blemish on a good to great season, or it will be the starter switch to hot seat conversations...

The only 2 games I would chalk up as highly probable losses are UF and Auburn... both of which we should have more than a punchers chance at winning, say 60/40 or so... After that, your next 2 games are probably Tennessee and Notre Dame which I would put us somewhere in the 60-70% likely to win category.

From an expectation standpoint, with our schedule and returning players, I would call less than 10 regular season wins disappointing, unless there is a win over Florida... at that point, maybe losses to some 3 team combination of ND, Tenn, Miss St, and Auburn would be acceptable, particularly if they're very competitive.

Not going to get into the bowl game projection (or possible SECCG) because it's so dependent on how the season goes.

UGA is poised to really create a talent gap right now between itself and the rest of the East, but it's going to take a shift in perception of UGA's *on the field* product to help make it a reality... Florida has had a hard time acquiring talent under McElwain... That game has possibly the single biggest impact on not only this season but the trajectory for both programs over the next several IMO... 

sdogg likes this

4 hours ago, fibonaccisquared said:

App State... If we lose this, we've got bigger problems than we think. It likely means we've had no cohesion along the offensive line, Eason has stagnated or regressed, and our defense flat out didn't show up... The reality is App State nearly took down Tennessee were it not for a *very* fortunate fumble recovery. They are going to sneak up and bite someone, but if it's us, literally the season after they showed that they've got the goods, I've got some concerns with Kirby and Co's ability to keep our team grounded and motivated.

Notre Dame... Yes it's on the road early in the season. Yes it's Notre Dame. Yes, it's probably their biggest game not against a team from California. [I'd argue it could be bigger than both because it's early... they have a bye before facing USC at home (top pre-season ranked opponent) and Stanford will be a big deal but it's at the end of the season... a lot can happen between now and then]. And no, I don't care. This team went 4-8 last season... Their wins were Nevada, Syracuse, Miami (FL), and Army. Let that sink in and then add in that they'll have a first year starting quarterback (albeit a Junior)

Smart should have this team 2-0 coming out of this game... If we drop the Notre Dame game in a very competitive game, probably no need to panic, but a loss to App State or a decided loss to ND and this will set a poor tone for the rest of the season as well as the recruiting trail... neither of which can we really afford. 

Samford - No reason to drop this game. This should be an opportunity for the team to work out kinks before getting into the meat of the schedule. If we see another Nicholls type performance where starters are in the game late, again... red flags. 

Miss St/Tennessee/Vandy/Mizzou - These games I kind of bucket together, though could easily argue that they could be bucketed differently (first 2 second 2 for example). Miss St probably has the best offensive unit we'll see out of the 4... unclear yet what their defense will look like under their newly acquired but familiar to dawgs Def. Coordinator, Todd Grantham. At home, assuming the previous 3 weeks have gone according to plan, I see this as a very winnable game for UGA. This isn't the terrible Miss St. team of years past, but it's not a juggernaut and it's our SEC opener...

Tennessee lost a ton to the draft and neither of the last two matchups were unwinnable for us. On the road can see this one being tough, but we should be favored in this matchup and look to avenge the last 2... Also, our athletic trainers need to spend a ton of time the week before working on stretching and agility exercises to prepare for the minefield that is Kneeland.

Vandy loss last year was inexcusable... take care of business. Mizzou plays us a lot tighter than we'd like... Drew Lock has shown flashes of brilliance and we did not have a great answer for their offensive scheme last year. Falling a little later in the schedule and at home, would look for this game to be a little less interesting.

If you have to drop one of those 4, probably would prefer it to Miss State, but most likely would be Tennessee if I had to guess. Losing more than one of those games would be very problematic.

Florida - F--- em... Smart has to know this is *the* game... yes losing to Vandy and Tech last year was embarrassing. But they were both winnable games with some coaching mistakes... those can be corrected and learned from. It feels like it's been a while since we really went into the UF game and looked particularly competitive. And even longer since it felt like we were really in control. Gators lost a lot to the draft and call me crazy but I don't see Zaire as a particularly compelling starting QB. In limited play at Notre Dame, he was not terribly effective, and he couldn't seize the job for a somewhat lackluster team, why is the expectation that he'll be significantly better at Florida? Make him beat you in the air seems like a simple concept, but clearly we struggled with it 2 seasons in a row with possibly Florida's worst starting QB in history, so at this point who the heck knows... The game should be winnable, but it's not one I'll count in the win column until I see it... 

USC - Will be better than last year and better than most people expect. At home, I expect we should take care of business but would not be surprised in the least to see this game a lot tighter than we would prefer. 2018 and they might actually be pretty scary on the road.

Auburn - Who the heck knows. Generally speaking, Auburn is good when people think they'll be bad. And bad when people think they'll be good. The expectations are sky high this year... Right now, I have a tendency to believe that Stidham is going to be good for them... I'd count this in the loss column today but would not be surprised in the least to see them flounder.

UK/Ga Tech - Neither of these games should be concerning on the surface... both of them were tight last season, obviously with the loss to the nerds. If Smart drops either of these to wrap up the season, it will be either an unsightly blemish on a good to great season, or it will be the starter switch to hot seat conversations...

The only 2 games I would chalk up as highly probable losses are UF and Auburn... both of which we should have more than a punchers chance at winning, say 60/40 or so... After that, your next 2 games are probably Tennessee and Notre Dame which I would put us somewhere in the 60-70% likely to win category.

From an expectation standpoint, with our schedule and returning players, I would call less than 10 regular season wins disappointing, unless there is a win over Florida... at that point, maybe losses to some 3 team combination of ND, Tenn, Miss St, and Auburn would be acceptable, particularly if they're very competitive.

Not going to get into the bowl game projection (or possible SECCG) because it's so dependent on how the season goes.

UGA is poised to really create a talent gap right now between itself and the rest of the East, but it's going to take a shift in perception of UGA's *on the field* product to help make it a reality... Florida has had a hard time acquiring talent under McElwain... That game has possibly the single biggest impact on not only this season but the trajectory for both programs over the next several IMO... 

great post 

As an outsider looking at it, the schedule sets up favorably for Georgia. I'd say UGA should be playing in Atlanta come December.

The offensive line is still the biggest question mark. Only 2 returning starters from a line that underperformed last year. And those 2 starters are in different positions going into the season. And the other 3 spots are up for grabs between freshmen, a juco early enrollee, and guys who were on the team last year but couldn't beat out the underperforming starters from last year. So who knows. Hopefully Pittman can get a combination figured out that will get the job done. 

On 6/22/2017 at 6:47 PM, Falconsfan567 said:

As an outsider looking at it, the schedule sets up favorably for Georgia. I'd say UGA should be playing in Atlanta come December.

right now man i believe it's UGA/Auburn in the title game.  would be a nice rematch game. 

Just now, SacFalcFan said:

right now man i believe it's UGA/Auburn in the title game.  would be a nice rematch game. 

I'm not ready to anoint Auburn just yet. Still need to see how the offense comes together but the spring game was really promising.

Auburn is due for one of their up years. Lines up for them with Stidham and homefield for UGA and Bama. We shall see!

8 hours ago, Carter said:

Auburn is due for one of their up years. Lines up for them with Stidham and homefield for UGA and Bama. We shall see!

The schedule does favor us this year and yes we're due for a good year. I'm still not gonna get my hopes too high. If the defense is anything like it was last year and we get kind of improvement offensively then we'll be great this year. Schedule sets up perfectly for us this year getting Georgia and Bama at home. We've got the road game at Clemson early but they're expected to take a major step back this year so that game is definitely winnable. Our next road game is at Missouri and that should be an easy win. The part of the schedule that will make or break or season is 3 straight road games at LSU, Arkansas and Texas A&M. If we come out of that good then we'll be sitting pretty.

12 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

I'm not ready to anoint Auburn just yet. Still need to see how the offense comes together but the spring game was really promising.

your schedule reminds me of when you went to the title game in your first year with cam.. you had a very favorable home schedule and you guys used it to your advantage.  i think you are talented enough on both sides to win the sec west. 

5 hours ago, SacFalcFan said:

your schedule reminds me of when you went to the title game in your first year with cam.. you had a very favorable home schedule and you guys used it to your advantage.  i think you are talented enough on both sides to win the sec west. 

Yep. Same with 2013 when the schedule fell our way.