Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MACK2THEFUTURE

Mayweather McGregor 8/26

42 posts in this topic

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/14/15685124/floyd-mayweather-vs-conor-mcgregor-boxing-match-set-for-aug-26-in-las-vegas

Mayweather Jr. (49-0), considered one of the greatest boxers of all time, announced his retirement from the sport following a September 2015 win over Andre Berto. However, he said recently that he was only interested in returning to action for a fight against McGregor.

McGregor (0-0 in boxing, 21-3 in MMA), the current UFC lightweight champion, has never competed in a professional boxing match, but he is considered one of the best mixed martial artists in the world. He made history in November when he defeated then-lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez to became the first fighter in UFC history to be a champion in two different weight classes at the same time. Since then, though, the UFC stripped the Irish-born fighter of his featherweight title due to inactivity.

20 minutes ago, BrockSamson said:

Dirtbag v. Dooshbag 2017!

I'm very much looking forward to not giving the slightest **** about that ****show.

Aint beat nobody good in their prime vs ain't beat nobody in boxing lol.

This should be good. The Mayweather vs Paq fight was 5 years too late. Paq was never same after he got dropped like a bad habit. 

47 minutes ago, DawnOfThemBirds said:

I just don't see McGregor winning.

This fight won't live up to it's hype.

Provided it is a straight boxing match, I don't see it either.

Now, if it's MMA, it will be similarly boring, but in the other direction.

This is beyond ludicrous. MacGregor is a pretty good MMA striker but that in no way makes him qualified to step in the ring with the greatest boxer of this generation. This fight will go exactly as long as Mayweather wishes it to go. 

I know why both are doing it. This will be the biggest payday that MacGregor will see in his life and it will be the easiest $100M that Floyd has ever made. But anyone who thinks that this will be the least bit competitive is a fool.

22 minutes ago, JDaveG said:

Provided it is a straight boxing match, I don't see it either.

Now, if it's MMA, it will be similarly boring, but in the other direction.

If it were an MMA match, Conor would legkick Floyd then take him down and immediately strangle him. MacGregor isn't known for his grappling ability but he's light-years ahead of Floyd in that regard.

But this is going to be a boxing match. And a farce of one at that.

1 minute ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

But anyone who thinks that this will be the least bit competitive is a fool.

I don't know much about boxing (not the rules, the actual fights), so I grant that I could be completely wrong, but I'm not a fool. McGregor isn't qualified to step into the ring simply because he's "a pretty good MMA striker." Of course, the motivation to create the fight (the money and hype) has little to do with the outcome.

Let's not forget that Mayweather is 40 years old, we all know what age can do to a fighter. McGregor has size and youth at the very least. I could go on with comparisons... for or against

1 minute ago, MACK2THEFUTURE said:

I don't know much about boxing (not the rules, the actual fights), so I grant that I could be completely wrong, but I'm not a fool. McGregor isn't qualified to step into the ring simply because he's "a pretty good MMA striker." Of course, the motivation to create the fight (the money and hype) has little to do with the outcome.

Let's not forget that Mayweather is 40 years old, we all know what age can do to a fighter. McGregor has size and youth at the very least. I could go on with comparisons... for or against

Mayweather just completely outclassed Canelo Alvarez, who is regarded as one of the pound-for-pound best boxers in the world. It wasn't even close. How is a guy that has never had a professional boxing match going to somehow do better?

Floyd is 40, but there is very little wear on his body. In 49 professional fights, you can count on one hand the number of times he's actually been hit hard. He hasn't fought in any wars. His defense is too good. MMA can't be compared to boxing any more than golf can be compared to baseball. 

JDaveG and DawnOfThemBirds like this

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Mayweather just completely outclassed Canelo Alvarez, who is regarded as one of the pound-for-pound best boxers in the world. It wasn't even close. How is a guy that has never had a professional boxing match going to somehow do better?

That was 4 years ago... I mean that is a long time for fighters.

Floyd is 40, but there is very little wear on his body. In 49 professional fights, you can count on one hand the number of times he's actually been hit hard. He hasn't fought in any wars. His defense is too good.

You are probably right I don't know Floyd's history.

MMA can't be compared to boxing any more than golf can be compared to baseball. 

I mean that's an exaggeration that I don't care to dispute... Boxing and MMA are closer than Golf and Baseball...

The biggest challenge I see for McGregor is stamina, keeping up with Mayweather, like you said he has excellent defense. MMA fights and (most) fightstyles are much more about explosion and McGregor did not show much Stamina in his first  Diaz fight... his second, yes, and he was fighting a bigger man.

My prediction is that it's going to come down to how long Mayweather can string McGregor out while enduring a few big hits. If Mayweather wins it will be decision (edited). I looked at Mayweather's record... almost all of his last fights have gone the distance, my money is this one does too. Besides, why wouldn't they just fix the fight, it's Floyd's last fight and McGregor is going to retire after this purse (potentially).

Edited by MACK2THEFUTURE

Mayweather will stop MacGregor whenever he feels like it. People who don't train in combat sports often don't appreciate the levels of ability that there are in each discipline. I train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and I see guys and girls who dominate regional tournaments week after week but then go to worlds and get crushed in the first round. That's the levels in ability. Conor is a good MMA fighter. Floyd is the best boxer of his generation. In a boxing match, this isn't going to be at all competitive.

DawnOfThemBirds and JDaveG like this

13 minutes ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Mayweather will stop MacGregor whenever he feels like it. People who don't train in combat sports often don't appreciate the levels of ability that there are in each discipline. I train in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and I see guys and girls who dominate regional tournaments week after week but then go to worlds and get crushed in the first round. That's the levels in ability. Conor is a good MMA fighter. Floyd is the best boxer of his generation. In a boxing match, this isn't going to be at all competitive.

"McGregor" is not a "good" MMA Fighter... that's a severe understatement. And your gratuitous hyperbole doesn't help your argument. So what, Mayweather will "feel like" stopping McGregor with a judges decision ?

What makes you think "early knockout" ? I just do not see that.

McGregor has never lost by knock out and in MMA you don't get many 2nd chances on a knock down. The guy has a chin. Maybe you guys are just local martial art pedestrians, and your assessments are not as refined as mine.

Posted (edited)

Here is my two cents.

·       The Gloves are going to be an adjustment for McGregor. While that may seem trivial, in fights of this magnitude and ability of the fighters. The thickness and weight of the gloves matter tremendously if you’ve never used them.

·       The Stance is going to be an adjustment for McGregor, different footwork, body movements, and many more rounds than he is accustomed too.

Hitting Power: McGregor

Speed: Mayweather

Stamina: Mayweather

Chin: McGregor

Footwork: Mayweather

Reach: McGregor

Weight: Wash

Height: Wash

Experience: Mayweather

Conclusion:  This fight should be better and closer than people think.

Keys to a Connor Victory: Connor is going to have to come into the ring and be patient and decisive. He is going to have to be landing those big shots accurately, often, and early without getting drawn into traps by the experienced veteran. He is going to have to be prepared to go the distance from a stamina standpoint if he can’t connect early. If he can land a few big shots early and rattle Mayweather and avoid the traps. This will be a good night for McGregor.

Keys to a Floyd Victory: Stay away from those heavy blows. He needs to utilize his speed and agility and run the gas out of his younger, stronger, inexperienced opponent. Mayweather has a successful history of gassing opponents with his lightning in and out style. If he can keep McGregor off balance and avoid taking those big shots early it will be a good night for Floyd Mayweather 

Edited by T-Falcon
MACK2THEFUTURE likes this

47 minutes ago, MACK2THEFUTURE said:

McGregor has never lost by knock out and in MMA you don't get many 2nd chances on a knock down. The guy has a chin. Maybe you guys are just local martial art pedestrians, and your assessments are not as refined as mine.

MMA and boxing are just too different.

If it were an MMA match Conner wins in a minute imo.

But Mayweather is a boxer and this is a boxing match......and he had faster hands than just about anyone in the ufc.

This is a great pay day but Mayweather is in his element.....and that is bad for the irishman

1 hour ago, MACK2THEFUTURE said:

It's just that McGregor is out if his element and having his 1st and only professional boxing match against a legend of the sport who is probably still better than majority of the fighters in his own sport doesn't help him much.

Remember when former boxing heavyweight champion James Toney fought Randy Couture back at UFC 118 in his 1st and only MMA fight ever? Randy made quick work of him and submitted him early. James Toney was clearly out of his element despite being known as a world class fighter in his respective combat sport. James Toney would've dominated Couture in a straight boxing match.

MACK2THEFUTURE and falconsd56 like this

4 hours ago, Gritzblitz 2.0 said:

Floyd is 40, but there is very little wear on his body. In 49 professional fights, you can count on one hand the number of times he's actually been hit hard. He hasn't fought in any wars. His defense is too good. MMA can't be compared to boxing any more than golf can be compared to baseball. 

You trying to say Phil Mickelson can't hit a curveball?