Is Julio a HoF?

Looking at Julio's plays from last season and the catches he made in the SB, if we would've won the SB, I think he would have won MVP and he would probably be 1st ballot. Without the SB win and SB MVP, he is still on target for HoF. I just look at TO and Moss and with what they did and are having a hard time getting in. Yeah, I know their antics and diva persona are weighing them down now. Otherwise, WTH isn't TO 1st ballot. 2nd in majority of stats behind Jerry, SMH.

If Matt Ryan wins SB MVP, he will be a 1st or 2nd ballot HoF. But Kurt Warner did have to wait to get in.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000813486/article/julio-jones-heads-nfls-most-indispensable-offensive-players

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Irvin is in with 11,904 yards.  Obviously he has the rings to go with it.  

Julio is at 7,610 yards at age 28.  He is averaging 1,268 yards a year over his career.  Longevity is the question with Julio, if he can stay healthy until his mid 30's, say 35, at that pace would be another almost 9K yards and would put him around 16K yards for his career.  Second to only Jerry.

He needs a ring!

3 minutes ago, athell said:

Irvin is in with 11,904 yards.  Obviously he has the rings to go with it.  

Julio is at 7,610 yards at age 28.  He is averaging 1,268 yards a year over his career.  Longevity is the question with Julio, if he can stay healthy until his mid 30's, say 35, at that pace would be another almost 9K yards and would put him around 16K yards for his career.  Second to only Jerry.

He needs a ring!

He definitely made the catches in SBLI to warrant him MVP and that one game could've been his 'signature' game to catapult him in the upper echelon. Add on top of that his game 2 weeks prior against GB and the game earlier in the season against Carolina, 300+ AND the 2012 playoffs against SF.

I hate to even speculate about this scenario, it makes me cringe thinking about it, if he were to for whatever reason be done now; I don't think so.

He has all of the talent you could possibly want, the drive to be great, the drive to make others around him great....but my opinion is he would be less likely to be voted in at this point.

That said he's certainly projecting that way with at least a few more years.  SB win should seal it

2 minutes ago, FlySoFree said:

Can the man finish his career first?

Thank you for your input. Can you ignore the topic if it does not peak your interest?

However, I will entertain your question. I brought the question up because the NFL considers him the most indispensable offensive weapon in the league, outside of QB. I think that begs further discussion on his past career, current stats, and future trajectory. We are well beyond good/great player. We (Julio and my fandom) are on the level of discussing best ever. Not the best but one of the best (HoF).

3 minutes ago, kschreck said:

I hate to even speculate about this scenario, it makes me cringe thinking about it, if he were to for whatever reason be done now; I don't think so.

He has all of the talent you could possibly want, the drive to be great, the drive to make others around him great....but my opinion is he would be less likely to be voted in at this point.

That said he's certainly projecting that way with at least a few more years.  SB win should seal it

This is my exact thought. That's why I said, a SB win with the performance he had would have been a shoo-in. At this point, great player not enough yet but the projections and trajectory is definite HofF.

20 minutes ago, The Peregrine said:

He definitely made the catches in SBLI to warrant him MVP and that one game could've been his 'signature' game to catapult him in the upper echelon. Add on top of that his game 2 weeks prior against GB and the game earlier in the season against Carolina, 300+ AND the 2012 playoffs against SF.

He did, though I do not think he would have gotten it.  Maybe.  But I don't think so.

In relation to the topic if HoF or not though, while not required, rings make a difference.  It would have done a lot for Matt and him.

I've heard sportswriters say that the only criteria for Hall of Fame Induction is "can you tell the story of an era without this player?"  If you can't then that guy is a Hall of Famer.

Can you tell the story of this era of football without Julio Jones, who is one the most respected/feared football players in the NFL?  Even players who are notoriously stingy with giving props -- like Richard Sherman -- give it up to Julio.

2 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

I've heard sportswriters say that the only criteria for Hall of Fame Induction is "can you tell the story of an era without this player?"  If you can't then that guy is a Hall of Famer.

Can you tell the story of this era of football without Julio Jones, who is one the most respected/feared football players in the NFL?  Even players who are notoriously stingy with giving props -- like Richard Sherman -- give it up to Julio.

Nope.  Julio is the new Megatron.  Both have kind of re-written the rules of what a WR can/should do.

57 minutes ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Yep, even Josh Norman always makes sure to give Julio his props when talking about facing top WRs.

6 minutes ago, peoriabird said:

Both He and Matt are 1st ballot Hall of Famers

WRs are a funny position when it comes to when they can get in the HOF because there are many that are deserving but have yet to crack the finalist.

As for Ryan, although a ring would best solidify his legacy he could still get into the HOF if he continues a high level of play for the next 3-5 years along with more post season success. Continuing to put up really good numbers as well as another SB appearance should stamp his HOF candidacy. Maybe not as a 1st ballot though. He could be 1st ballot with a ring or 2 and consistent production.

3 hours ago, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

Yep, assuming nothing weird happens over the course of his career. 

As for Matt, thats an interesting question. The next few years are going to push him "in" or leave him right on the bad sign of the line. 

if Julio is dominant for next three years and then plays another 2-3 after dropping off, then yeah.....the thing you gotta watch w/ Julio is his health and that foot.   I am still worried he could have a career ender w/ that foot - #shutyourmouth

Matt is more complicated.   If he can win a SuperBowl, then he's in - without it, he might not.   Hard for a QB to get in without a Superbowl win.   Just getting there does not really count for much.  The MVP definitely helps but might need another one.   One more MVP and a SuperBowl and you can start the BUST fer sure.

5 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

if Julio is dominant for next three years and then plays another 2-3 after dropping off, then yeah.....the thing you gotta watch w/ Julio is his health and that foot.   I am still worried he could have a career ender w/ that foot - #shutyourmouth

Matt is more complicated.   If he can win a SuperBowl, then he's in - without it, he might not.   Hard for a QB to get in without a Superbowl win.   Just getting there does not really count for much.  The MVP definitely helps but might need another one.   One more MVP and a SuperBowl and you can start the BUST fer sure.

My thought pretty much exactly.

25 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

well said. Matt's current trajectory is putting him top 5-8 in a lot of major categories. Another MVP is probably in, regardless. But the SB ring will seal it...You're right on QB's induction being very complicated. He has a ROY, as well; but 1 All pro.

Believe it or not, Marino only one MVP! But he was a 7 time all-pro (either first or second team). Fouts was a 4 time All Pro (second or first) and only one MVP. Those two always stand out to me as career leaders in total categories but no rings.

Fran Tarkenton was a 9 time pro bowl; 2 time all pro and one MVP...but different time period and he retired the all time career yardage leader. So not sure you can compare him to Matt.

But Matt has been what most of the HOFers' have been--very consistent. Roughly 26 TDs per year and 4200 yards a year passing. His numbers are just almost automatic. Assuming he's hitting his prime years, he should  end up with some serious numbers.

Maybe this will be the year and Matt will just get a dang SB ring!

1 hour ago, MSalmon said:

well said. Matt's current trajectory is putting him top 5-8 in a lot of major categories. Another MVP is probably in, regardless. But the SB ring will seal it...You're right on QB's induction being very complicated. He has a ROY, as well; but 1 All pro.

Believe it or not, Marino only one MVP! But he was a 7 time all-pro (either first or second team). Fouts was a 4 time All Pro (second or first) and only one MVP. Those two always stand out to me as career leaders in total categories but no rings.

Fran Tarkenton was a 9 time pro bowl; 2 time all pro and one MVP...but different time period and he retired the all time career yardage leader. So not sure you can compare him to Matt.

But Matt has been what most of the HOFers' have been--very consistent. Roughly 26 TDs per year and 4200 yards a year passing. His numbers are just almost automatic. Assuming he's hitting his prime years, he should  end up with some serious numbers.

Maybe this will be the year and Matt will just get a dang SB ring!

Matt needs rings. There's really not much more to say. He has stats, but that's not going to get him in. Eli has a better shot right now and he's borderline.