WWDC - Apple's new products/software tomorrow

So tomorrow is Apple's kickoff to WWDC and there are a lot of rumors about upcoming products. 

Aside from all of the software updates, they're also expected to unveil a 10.5" iPad Pro, possibly a new Apple pencil, and refreshes to Macbooks (possibly including the Air).  Also possible that they'll unveil some kind of Amazon Echo type product.

Personally, I'm most interested in the new ipad.  I LOVE my 13" iPad Pro but this thing is gigantic and not very good for travel.  And I'm going to be traveling a LOT over the next two years.  So I'd love to have something with more screen size than the regular iPad but is still light and small enough to fit on the tray during a long flight or something that I can hold in one hand for reading books.  I would have preferred something slightly larger than 10.5" screen size, but I think it's large enough to do what I want on the go.  

The updated Macbooks are also interesting to me.  I didn't see the big deal about the touchbar until I played with one.  I can definitely see the benefit now and I'm thinking about updating my now-five year old Macbook Pro.  The main reason I want to upgrade the Macbook is battery life.  I got this one before the upgraded batteries so I only get about 4-5 hours on it.  Again, not something that's good for long trips.  I actually don't care that much for the speed bump from the Kaby Lake processors the refreshed Macbooks are going to get, but the battery life has been an issue for me over the years.  

The biggest thing for me regarding the iPad Pro is still IOS.  This thing, especially if it gets refreshed with a more powerful processor, can run most software you find for regular computers (laptops, desktops, etc).  There's no reason why it should be limited to a software designed for a cellphone.  And until it can run full versions of certain software - statistics, video editing, photo editing, etc. - it will never be a laptop replacement.  The form factor is perfect, it's just hampered by lack of programs that can run on IOS.  

Anyway, I might be the only person interested in tomorrow's release of new devices, refreshed laptops, and the software updates.  But wanted to post it here in case others had thoughts about it.

4 minutes ago, mfaulk57158 said:

I am anxious to see what their approach to vr and 360 degree video will be.  Though normally late to the game, their entrance usually introduces a much better UI for new products.

Absolutely, but I'm not sure we're going to get a lot of that tomorrow.  Rumors are that their AR and VR won't show up until the next iphone, at the earliest.  But I'd love to see what they have planning.  

The hardware that is highlighted is probably going to be geared towards professionals. Apple has been racked over the coals the last few months for neglecting that group and a developers are probably their biggest group of professionals.  The rumored. lineup of hardware announced is crazy. 

Numbers suggest 4 new iPads, Touch Bar Wireless Keyboard, a Mac Mini, two iMacs and two Mac Pros according to there respective AXXXX listings of previous Models at everymac.com

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/31/apple-registers-new-macs-ipads-eurasia/

31 minutes ago, GEORGIAfan said:

The hardware that is highlighted is probably going to be geared towards professionals. Apple has been racked over the coals the last few months for neglecting that group and a developers are probably their biggest group of professionals.  The rumored. lineup of hardware announced is crazy. 

I saw that rumor, but they found out that the desktops were referring to existing lines (IOW, not new products) and the four new ipads are probably the 10.5" with and without wifi (2) and probably a refreshed 13" with and without wifi (2).  The wireless keyboard could be a new product, however.

My own expectation is introducing the 10.5" ipad, refreshed (possibly slightly updated) 13" ipad, hopefully a new pencil, and silent refreshes of the laptops.  A siri speaker and keyboard are certainly possible.  I don't expect any iMac or Mac Pro updates until September/October, and the new Mac Pro probably won't be out until early next year.

But for WWDC, a new ipad, keyboard, and speaker would be pretty significant lineup.  Also, I'm not sure the keyboard itself warrants discussion at the keynote.  So that might be a silent addition with a touchbar or something similar...unless it's somehow integrated or related to the new MacOS.  

Just my random thoughts, anyway.

Here's a great rundown of what to expect tomorrow:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/04/wwdc-2017-keynote-rumors-what-to-expect-from-apple----and-what-not-to

I didn't realize that the Kaby Lake processors were such a small bump in speed and power saving than the previous generation.  That said, a Kaby Lake Macbook Air with a better display would be very attractive to me.  

Yeah, I'm glad to see that as well.  I still say that where they should be headed is a 2-in-2 type device that works both as a tablet and PC.  

The "smart connector" on the ipad pro allows this.  Have a Macbook base with no screen that has all of the computing power of a laptop and runs MacOS.  Then have an iPad that when it's detached runs iOS and works as a tablet.  But it connects via magnets to the base and converts to a screen for the laptop.  That avoids making compromises between the software environments and also allows instantaneous file sharing.  A lot of people have both a laptop and a tablet, and this kind of device would allow the tablet to be used as a screen when the person is using the laptop and as a table when they don't need the laptop. 

The biggest obstacle to that I can see would be battery life.  The laptop base could charge the ipad, but then how do you handle good battery life for the paired laptop function?

5 minutes ago, DawgBone said:

Hard drive in my 2011 iMac died (again) over the weekend.  Come on Apple. 

Rumors are that there won't be a redesign of the iMac but rather spec bumps later this year.  If you can't replace the harddrive, you might want to look at their current lineup.  I doubt the performance upgrades will be significant enough to wait another 5-6 months.

1 minute ago, DawgBone said:

I'm intrigued by the iMac Pro.  Probably don't need it, but want it.  

The Mac Pro is getting a completely new design and refresh, so if you're looking at it then definitely wait.  The "trashcan model" is out and will be replaced by something entirely new.

It's the iMac's that are rumored to not get a new redesign but rather a spec bump later this year.  

2 hours ago, DawgBone said:

I'm intrigued by the iMac Pro.  Probably don't need it, but want it.  

Dude, I thought you were talking about the Mac Pro.

Did you hear a rumor about the iMac Pro that they just announced?  Because that came out of nowhere for me and I try to keep up with the rumors closely.

2 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Dude, I thought you were talking about the Mac Pro.

Did you hear a rumor about the iMac Pro that they just announced?  Because that came out of nowhere for me and I try to keep up with the rumors closely.

Ha!  Yeah, that rumor has been around for a while, as media professionals have trended away from the mac pro to the iMac ... but I really wasn't expecting them to officially announce it today.  WANT!