Von Miller to Vic Beasley: Meet me in the Bay Area

http://www.espn.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/27162/von-miller-to-vic-beasley-meet-me-in-the-bay-area

Atlanta Falcons pass-rusher Vic Beasley Jr., the NFL leader last season with 15.5 sacks, said he'd be willing to travel anywhere to meet Denver's Von Miller for some offseason training.

Well, the one-time Super Bowl MVP Miller has a place in mind.

"We'll get it done, for sure," Miller said recently. "We’re going to do it in San Francisco. We'll get him out San Francisco. I got a house. I don't like going places and being uncomfortable, especially when I'm working out."

Miller promised Beasley would be comfortable there.

"I got a nice house in San Francisco," Miller said. "Plenty of room to get done what we want to get done."

Miller even suggested the two run some "sand dunes" during the training session, which he referred to before as a "pass-rush summit." We'll see if Miller gets other pass-rushers involved.

"I love talking to young guys about the pass rush, the league," Miller said. "Vic, that's one of my guys. We'll get that done and it'll be great."

Said Beasley, "Oh, it will help me out a lot. The attention that Von gets year in and year out is unbelievable. They respect him as a pass-rusher, and I'm headed in that direction. So I can learn a lot from him in that case."

The Falcons are in the midst of organized team activities, which started this week. The Falcons and Broncos have mandatory minicamp from June 13-15. Then the players have about a month off before training camp begins, leaving Beasley and Miller some time to collaborate.

New Falcons defensive line coach Bryant Young, who played all 14 of his NFL seasons in San Francisco with the 49ers, offered his thoughts on Beasley teaming up with Miller.

"I think that's great," Young said. "If guys can have a chance to work with other good rushers in the league and be able to share different things, I think that's great. You see receivers and quarterbacks working out with each other across the league. Why not have defensive guys do the same thing? That's good for them."

I think it's cool that Keanu Neal works out w/ Kam Chancellor and Vic Beasley is gonna work w/ Von Miller - helps our team no doubt.

You know at some point that some people are gonna beotch about this though - talking about helping your competition.  tick, tick, tick.....it's coming - not saying from TATF necessarily - but somewhere.

14 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I think it's cool that Keanu Neal works out w/ Kam Chancellor and Vic Beasley is gonna work w/ Von Miller - helps our team no doubt.

You know at some point that some people are gonna beotch about this though - talking about helping your competition.  tick, tick, tick.....it's coming - not saying from TATF necessarily - but somewhere.

"Nah," Neal said, via ESPN's Vaughn McClure. "I'll just leave it in there. ... The brotherhood is bigger than football. It's not going against the Seahawks and everything like this. We're brothers. I don't see it as, 'OK, it's Seahawks, so I've got to hide it.' It's Kam Chancellor. It's a brother to me."

If anyone does beotch they will look foolish.  

1 hour ago, g-dawg said:

Yep, lol

That would just be just another case of uninformed fans. Players have always worked out or trained with players of other teams. Mentorship is very common in the NFL. Dwight Freeney has been doing it for years, as well as other high profile and non high profile players.

Players of opposing teams working out together during the offseason happens a lot more than what gets publicized. There's a special fraternity of players that goes beyond simply which team they play for in the NFL. Many of these guys have been friends and competitors since their high school days. They hold a special bond and only want to see each other perform to the best of their abilities and if that means "helping the enemy," then so be it. At the end of the day that bond transcends football.

2 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Save some money and visit Chuck Smith.

Visit Chuck Smith instead of training with Von Miller? That's like using FedEx over UPS. Saying BestBuy is better than Netflix. Or saying the Saints are better than the Falcons.

Edited by Yo_Lover

5 hours ago, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

Save some money and visit Chuck Smith.

Why? This Chuck Smith hype train has gotten out of control. As far as I can tell Chuck just tries to latch on to the biggest name guys in every draft and when they have success boom it was all Chuck Smith. The guy lobbied so hard to try and land Vic and Vic never trained with him, yet Vic Beasley somehow lead the league in sacks this season. Could you imagine if he'd done one workout with Chuck? He'd be claiming responsibility for every bit of Vic's success. 

Besides Chuck's best season ever was his 12 sack effort in 1997. He doesn't even deserve to sniff Vic's jock. 

1 hour ago, Julio Pwns said:

Why? This Chuck Smith hype train has gotten out of control. As far as I can tell Chuck just tries to latch on to the biggest name guys in every draft and when they have success boom it was all Chuck Smith. The guy lobbied so hard to try and land Vic and Vic never trained with him, yet Vic Beasley somehow lead the league in sacks this season. Could you imagine if he'd done one workout with Chuck? He'd be claiming responsibility for every bit of Vic's success. 

Besides Chuck's best season ever was his 12 sack effort in 1997. He doesn't even deserve to sniff Vic's jock. 

Wow, some real dissing of chucky smith's cred going on man. What gives?

3 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Von Miller is a class act.  Great player, better person. 

He really is a great guy to be associated with. I heard a piece last week where he asked to attend the awards banquet for Bronco's office staff and other personnel who work directly for the Broncos. He handed out awards and attended the post-banquet party. I don't remember who reported it but they said it was the first time ever a player attended the teams employee banquet. Not just for the Bronco's, league wide. It says something about the person.

23 minutes ago, Yo_Lover said:

WHo has Chuck ever helped?? I am actually curious because I've never seen anyone give him credit of any kind.

Osi said that he was a huge help in refining his technique during his Giants heyday. He went to him every offseason.

His most notable success story was Haynesworth though. He turned him into an absolute monster for a while there. Too bad he gave up after the Redskins paid him.

He has worked with Robert Mathis, Von Miller, Dee Ford and others. He watches their snaps during the season and breaks down where they can improve and sends the feedback. This is in addition to those that actually come to him.

“He’s broken pass rushing down to a science,” Miller said. “Chuck has been such a huge influence on my game. He’s not just a coach. He played the game and he sees it like that.” -Von Miller

He's no phony, but it is a running gag on this board to send whatever pass rusher we've acquired to him. Mike Smith notably seemed to have a bias against him, but Dan Quinn has already been by to visit and came away impressed.

Add Robert Quinn, Markus Golden, Bud Dupree, Aaron Donald...

Edited by FalconAge

8 hours ago, Yo_Lover said:

WHo has Chuck ever helped?? I am actually curious because I've never seen anyone give him credit of any kind.

@FalconAge beat me to it. 

Smith says it all starts with visualization. Here's a nice clip on how the skill of pass rushing has evolved into an art form,  which features some of Smith's teachings with player's he's helped Yo, if you're interested.