2017 MLB Draft

Unknøwn

Draft tracker on Official Atlanta Braves site is now available. As usual they wait until the Braves officially announce it before updating it ....so it only shows the RD 1&2 signed.

Per Talking Chop: the braves have signed  4th Rd RHP- Troy Bacon, Jr, Santa Fe CC (Miss St commit);  7th Rd RHP- Landon Hughes, Sr, Ga Southern, 9th Rd SS-Riley Delgado Sr, Mid Tenn St, 10th Rd RHP- Jacob Belinda, Sr, Lock Haven Univ and as mentioned above 16th Rd OF Garrison Schwartz.

Per MLB draft signing tracker:

6th Round: ATL - Jordan Rodgers, 3B, Tennessee
$5,000 (Pick value: $273,700)

7th Round: ATL - Landon Hughes, RHP, Georgia Southern
$1,000 (Pick value: $213,400)

A roster flyer that was distributed at the Danville Braves FanFest today included, so they are likely signed but not announced yet:

10th rounder Jacob Belinda RHP
8th rounder John Curtis LHP
17th rounder Cutter Dyals RHP
13th rounder Connor Simmons LHP
14th rounder Keith Weisenberg RHP
5th rounder Bruce Zimmerman LHP
12th rounder Hagen Owenby C
9th rounder Riley Delgado IF
20th rounder Justin Smith OF

I just looked at the Braves 2009 draft and that is probably the worst draft I've ever seen!! Just 5 of 49 picks have appeared in the majors, only 3 of the players even played in the majors for the Braves.

Mike Minor has been decent in the minors but the rest have been forgettable. David Hale, and Ryan Weber with the Braves, Buck Farmer with the Tigers and Josh Edgin with the Mets.

One name that didn't make it to the majors that jumps out to me is Aaron Northcraft. I remember there was a lot of talk about him at one point. Whatever happened to him? @K26dp

3 hours ago, Falconsfan567 said:

One name that didn't make it to the majors that jumps out to me is Aaron Northcraft. I remember there was a lot of talk about him at one point. Whatever happened to him? @K26dp

He made it to AAA for us, then we sent him to San Diego in the Justin Upton trade. He bounced between AA and AAA for them in 2015 and 2016 and mostly stunk. He was cut when the Padres loaded up on prospects and he's currently out of baseball.

He never was much of a prospect, and only appeared on Braves lists because our farm system was so bad.

11 minutes ago, K26dp said:

He made it to AAA for us, then we sent him to San Diego in the Justin Upton trade. He bounced between AA and AAA for them in 2015 and 2016 and mostly stunk. He was cut when the Padres loaded up on prospects and he's currently out of baseball.

He never was much of a prospect, and only appeared on Braves lists because our farm system was so bad.

I actually looked at his Twitter account and it appears that he spends most of his time playing MLB The Show these days.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a 4th round pick that's now free to sign with any team. Orioles picked high school P Jack Conlon in the 4th but failed to sign him. He failed his physical and Baltimore made no offer. Rules allow any player that's not offered a deal to become an unrestricted free agent. Because they didn't offer at least 40% of the slot bonus, which is typical when a physical is failed, they don't receive any compensation for not signing him. It's just a wasted pick. Conlon is raw but throws 95 now and is projected to gain more velocity as his body fills out. He also throws a sharp slider. He's working on a changeup. He is committed to Texas A&M if he doesn't get an offer he likes.

• 4 years later...