2017 MLB Draft

Unknøwn

Just now, Unkn0wn said:

I never imagined Wright would be there at #5. A lot of people had him as the #1 overall.

We had the Oregon State/Vandy game on the other night, and I casually mentioned to my wife that it was the best college team against the guy who'd go #1 in the draft.

This is a wonderful surprise.

Just now, Malachore said:

Too bad Braves have not had the best luck with pitchers they've drafted since what feels like Wainwright.

They had the worst luck with Wainwright of any of them.

But we wound up with the best arm in this draft. He should be in the rotation by the start of 2019. It's hard not to feel good about that.

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Too bad Braves have not had the best luck with pitchers they've drafted since what feels like Wainwright.

Just the first round pitchers in the last three drafts: Allard, Soroka, Anderson, Wentz, and Wright.

Who knows the future, but that very well could be a top notch starting rotation. Allard, Soroka, and Wright all have a shot of being in the majors by 2018. All five have impact potential.

We've come a long way from the days of drafting Hursh, Gilmartin or DeVall. 

9 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Just the first round pitchers in the last three drafts: Allard, Soroka, Anderson, Wentz, and Wright.

Who knows the future, but that very well could be a top notch starting rotation. Allard, Soroka, and Wright all have a shot of being in the majors by 2018. All five have impact potential.

Yeah obviously I can't judge them on those guys but the crop before them makes me sad.

9 minutes ago, K26dp said:

You gonna respond to my post on bottom of page 1?

2 minutes ago, K26dp said:

I was actually looking at this earlier today. The 2013 draft when we got Hursh is devoid of talent in the first round. We picked 31. Judge went 32. That's the big criticism. There's only a handful of guys from that group who look like they're going to be impact players. From Gilmartin through #60 in 2011, Joe Panik, Trevor Story, Michael Fulmer, and Jackie Bradley Jr. are the only players who've had an impact. Gilmartin's like most of the rest, somebody who has played in the majors but wasn't very good. We didn't pick until #40 the DeVall year. Wade Miley was the "best" player in the range where we picked. Lance Lynn, who I understand that we liked, went one pick above us. It would have looked better if we'd caught a break there. Meanwhile, the Gilmartin year was when we targeted Robert Stephenson. He hasn't been much, either.

In looking at like 12 years of draft today, I realized that anything after the top 15 of the draft is just wishing and hoping. And the top ten's no guarantee, either. Mike Minor's the best player taken from 2 to 11 of the Strasburg year. That pick looks great until you get to 24 and see Mike Trout's name. And he was valued so much that Anaheim picked another guy before him.

I loooooooove drafts. The MLB one is just so random, though.

2 minutes ago, jidady said:

I liked what I read about Baz.

I'm curious if we're still going to take a look at Beck if he's available. I expect that Wright will want every possible dollar.

I think he'd only be available if we could have slid more money down to him. Of course, who knows what's going on behind the scenes.