2017 MLB Draft

Unknøwn

The draft starts on June 12. Jim Callis of MLB has released his mock draft. His Braves projection:

5. Braves: Adam Haseley, OF, Virginia

Atlanta's scouting department would be thrilled to get Wright if McKay goes No. 1 and Tampa Bay looks elsewhere. In this scenario, the Braves' choice figures to come down to Haseley or Lewis. They're also the first club that might pop Texas high school right-hander Shane Baz, and it's also possible that they'd look for a discount deal to shift extra money to later picks.

He has Kyle Wright as #1 overall, Hunter Greene #2, Mackenzie Gore #3 and Brendan McKay #4. He has Royce Lewis falling to #7.

Based on how we've done things lately, Beck makes the most sense. He's not expected to go in the top 10, so he'd be cheaper. And he's also not rated as highly due to an injury last year. That makes him equal parts Ian Anderson and Kolby Allard.

I suspect Kyle Wright's #1 on our board. I'm not enthusiastic about Hunter Greene. Most guys with pitcher/hitter talent wind up somewhere between Matt Bush and Rick Ankiel.

Rumor is that the Braves may already have a deal in place with Stanford RHP Tristan Beck, who would be taken with the #41 pick. 

Beck was considered one of the top college pitchers in the country after his freshman season, but has missed this entire season after being diagnosed in February with a stress fracture in his lower back. If that sounds familiar, that's the same injury suffered by 2015 first round pick Kolby Allard.

Beck is considered by scouts to have one of the best curveballs in college ball, a pitch he also has in common with Allard. His fastball low 90s with good movement, and he has a good change-up that has good deception. 

@K26dp, where do you think Keegan Thompson will be drafted? Which round? He's the 134th overall prospect according to MLB.com. Kid is a stud pitcher from Auburn with 4 very good pitches, his curveball being the best of the bunch. I'm paying special attention to him because he's a local kid from Cullman HS where I live. Last year the Tigers took him in the 33rd round but that was after he missed all of 2016 due to TJS.