Question for Trump Supporters: What MATTERS?

1 minute ago, mdrake34 said:

I only toured two law schools, Mercer and Cumberland, in that order, because with the exception of Alabama, the public law schools I applied to roundly and quickly rejected me as I was a WASP from their general geographic area. 

As soon as I got to Cumberland for a visit, I knew there was no way in **** I was living in Macon for 3 years. 

I was wait listed at Mercer, but I had the same experience.  The school I attended was $6000 less per year than Mercer and gave me a half scholarship, which was turned into a retroactive full scholarship once I ended my first year ranked 2nd in my class.

I doubt Mercer ever would have given me a nickel of financial aid.  And I didn't transfer to UGA, which was my initial plan, because law school was now free for me -- all I had to borrow was living expenses.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, JDaveG said:

I was wait listed at Mercer, but I had the same experience.  The school I attended was $6000 less per year than Mercer and gave me a half scholarship, which was turned into a retroactive full scholarship once I ended my first year ranked 2nd in my class.

I doubt Mercer ever would have given me a nickel of financial aid.  And I didn't transfer to UGA, which was my initial plan, because law school was now free for me -- all I had to borrow was living expenses.

Cumberland never gave me a penny in merit scholarship, despite the fact I rose from being ranked 100th to 26th in my class. I should have transferred to GA State. 

3 hours ago, mfaulk57158 said:

Regardless of our opinions on this subject I think the issues I raise and the poor solutions you propose will be mitigated via technology very soon.  I see signs that secondary education will be disrupted with things like MOOC's and companies/vendors beginning to consider certifications in place of formal school.  I know with IT this trend started in the last ten years or so.  Hopefully high school's beginning pitching MOOC's and certificates as alternatives for kids without a fairy grandmother.

Then they'll need a magical computer fairy that can provide them a computer and a steady internet connection since they can't even afford a place to live or basic transportation...

Pretty simple actually, show data supporting this huge overwhelming number of kids that want to go to college but have no place to live and no way to go anywhere and I'll be happy to reconsider my stance but so far, you haven't.  You've changed the discussion from tuition and student loans to living arrangements and transportation...

43 minutes ago, Joremarid said:

What?????

Go talk to the Mercer financial advisers, that's what I did and how I went there.  That said, I've already pointed out GCSU as being a far more affordable alternative in my area and it's not an isolated case, there's plenty of state schools that are just as affordable...

18 hours ago, Joremarid said:

So you advocate the use of publicly funded pell grant money to attend college, is this only up to a certain point or should all of coa be covered by Grant money? 

Wouldn't say that I advocate it but the programs exist so why wouldn't people use them?   I've stated before, I don't think the federal government should be involved in the finance business of education.  States should determine their own level of assistance.