Question for Trump Supporters: What MATTERS?

5 hours ago, Joremarid said:

I dont know what that pictute is of or the source but here is mine that shows the 20k coa.

http://college-tuition.startclass.com/l/17814/Middle-Georgia-State-University

Also what about mercer?

My source is MGSU's actual website. Didn't bother looking up Mercer because the MGSU number was so wildly off...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Joremarid said:

In addition thats awesome you got to live with your mom. Thats a great advantage many others didnt have.

Pretty sure they are living somewhere.  Not many homeless kids running around trying to get into college.  That said, you referenced my experience so if you are going to compare apples to oranges then the kids living where they are currently has to be the assumption, otherwise, it's an invalid comparison...

On 5/26/2017 at 6:09 PM, mfaulk57158 said:

Why can't all kids live with their moms and pay nothing for food and shelter while going to college, I did it, it's easy...........GTFOH

Your first problem is trying to find a solution for "all kids".  There is absolutely nothing that will work for every single person.  Your second problem is you fail to acknowledge that people have to live somewhere in order to even be considering college.  Your third problem is you chose to respond with mockery which means you don't have a legitimate response...

1 minute ago, capologist said:

It does (at least it did when I attended, I can't imagine that's changed since it was a private university then as well)

Interesting.  Back when I was applying, none of the private universities offered any tuition break for in-state resident students.

Just now, JDaveG said:

Interesting.  Back when I was applying, none of the private universities offered any tuition break for in-state resident students.

That was one of my concerns (being broke and footing the bill) and the adviser assured me that being a resident would cut the bill in half.  I can't state 100% that it was an official in-state discount but I can't imagine I'd get something other students couldn't get at the time.  He also found a way for me to get partial HOPE (which was formed after I graduated high school) and I also got a small Pell grant.  I took $12k out in loans because I wanted to concentrate on school instead of working as I did my two years at Macon College.  Bad choice in hindsight but at least it wasn't $100k.

What I should have done though is commuted to Georgia College in Milledgeville.   I could have gotten my degree for the same price I paid to go to Macon College and now they have a Macon and Warner Robins campus which wasn't available back when I went to school (not to mention the availability of online classes now).

18 hours ago, capologist said:

Your first problem is trying to find a solution for "all kids".  There is absolutely nothing that will work for every single person.  Your second problem is you fail to acknowledge that people have to live somewhere in order to even be considering college.  Your third problem is you chose to respond with mockery which means you don't have a legitimate response...

You deserve to be mocked.  There are countless posts providing the costs of education in this thread and you disregard them while replying with bs tuition costs.  Tuition is the cheapest part of secondary education for poor and disadvantaged high school graduates.  I provided a PERSONAL example of how difficult it is working and going to school and you dismissed it as well as other posts highlighting the FULL cost of college.  I did not live with my mom and had no choice to.  As for your "problems".  All kids receiving some type of post high school education should be a national goal right?  As to your second problem, yes, but how will kids find transportation to secondary education, Car, public transportation (if they are lucky), or moving to a new residence, all of which costs money that you do not account for in your bs tuition costs.  Third problem, again you deserve to be mocked..........

Edited by mfaulk57158
6 hours ago, mfaulk57158 said:

You deserve to be mocked.  There are countless posts providing the costs of education in this thread and you disregard them while replying with bs tuition costs.  Tuition is the cheapest part of secondary education for poor and disadvantaged high school graduates.  I provided a PERSONAL example of how difficult it is working and going to school and you dismissed it as well as other posts highlighting the FULL cost of college.  I did not live with my mom and had no choice to.  As for your "problems".  All kids receiving some type of post high school education should be a national goal right?  As to your second problem, yes, but how will kids find transportation to secondary education, Car, public transportation (if they are lucky), or moving to a new residence, all of which costs money that you do not account for in your bs tuition costs.  Third problem, again you deserve to be mocked..........

First, no, there's plenty of others who back what I've said.  There's been countless examples of how affordable actual tuition is.  Now you want to throw in living, etc to it.  At what point does it end?  At what point is a person responsible for making something happen rather than thinking society owes it to them?  While you want to inflate the "issues" as you see them, you give no numbers backing your claim.  I'd be willing to bet most 18 year old kids have the option of living with parents or relatives.  No, not "all kids" should go to school beyond high school, that's a large part of the problem.  We've created artificial demand. 

Now you want to roll transportation into it.  You can continue calling it "bs tuition costs" but if someone can't afford their own transportation seems to me they have bigger problems than getting to school.  I deserve nothing except the opportunity to tell you that what you are attempting to do is take a very small number of people relative to population size and inflate it to look like the "norm".  It's not.  If anyone deserves to be mocked it's you.  You want anecdotal examples, I was a kid to a single mom.  I got a hand me down car (that I was proud to get) from my grandmother.  Otherwise, I would have taken the money I earned since the age of 16 and bought a 2,000 car.  I didn't get that car until I was 18.  My mom couldn't afford to help with school so I went to school in the morning, went to job #1 from 11-6, 5 days a week, went back to school in the evening.  Then on weekends, I'd work job #1 from 10 - 6 and then go to job #2 delivering pizzas from 6-close.  If you want to mock that be my guest but all that does is make you look like a tremendous A-hole.  You see, I'm not one of those looking down on people telling them what they should do.  Instead, I'm at eye level telling people what I had to do.  

Originally the discussion was tuition and how expensive college was.  When that argument failed, you then want to roll up living expenses and later transportation.  What you are doing is nothing more than trying to throw more things in to find an argument where there is none.  Mock away all you want but you'll get it right back at ya bud...

7 hours ago, mfaulk57158 said:

Your personal anecdotes are invalid.  The experiences of the aggregate group of college goers are all invalid.

Only Cappy's personal anecdote is valid and it defines the sum total of all college going experiences.  

That's kind of how this works.

2 minutes ago, Leon Troutsky said:

Your personal anecdotes are invalid.  The experiences of the aggregate group of college goers are all invalid.

Only Cappy's personal anecdote is valid and it defines the sum total of all college going experiences.  

That's kind of how this works.

:rolleyes:

On 5/26/2017 at 6:09 PM, mfaulk57158 said:

Why can't all kids live with their moms and pay nothing for food and shelter while going to college, I did it, it's easy...........GTFOH

+ Get a free car.

I honestly don't know how you made through such hard times.

Edited by mfaulk57158
On 5/26/2017 at 6:54 PM, WOR said:

On the opposite end of the spectrum from the elitist left is the guy who thinks his reality is the only one and there's something wrong with anyone who can't do it that way. 

Empathy is completely lacking in conservatives. A literal mental defect.

9 minutes ago, capologist said:

LIke I said, I had money saved from working to buy one had I not gotten that 85 Chevette but hey, whatever makes you feel better about yourself sparky...

Regardless of our opinions on this subject I think the issues I raise and the poor solutions you propose will be mitigated via technology very soon.  I see signs that secondary education will be disrupted with things like MOOC's and companies/vendors beginning to consider certifications in place of formal school.  I know with IT this trend started in the last ten years or so.  Hopefully high school's beginning pitching MOOC's and certificates as alternatives for kids without a fairy grandmother.

On 5/26/2017 at 2:51 PM, Billy Ocean said:

I would advise against anyone spending $50k a year for Mercer.

I only toured two law schools, Mercer and Cumberland, in that order, because with the exception of Alabama, the public law schools I applied to roundly and quickly rejected me as I was a WASP from their general geographic area. 

As soon as I got to Cumberland for a visit, I knew there was no way in **** I was living in Macon for 3 years.