Question for Trump Supporters: What MATTERS?

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

It's depends on who you talk too and where they go.  Private is very expensive over state schools.  But your means (including grants/scholarships) are your means.  You should end up going where you can afford unless you get that full ride to wherever it is you want to go.  

Exactly.  I wanted to go to University of Florida.  However, instead of plunking down $100k in debt to do it, I thought better of it and did 2 years at Macon College and then my last two at Mercer University. Worked 2 jobs (1 during the week, 1 on the weekends) to make it happen...

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, capologist said:

Exactly.  I wanted to go to University of Florida.  However, instead of plunking down $100k in debt to do it, I thought better of it and did 2 years at Macon College and then my last two at Mercer University. Worked 2 jobs (1 during the week, 1 on the weekends) to make it happen...

I hear you.  I basically did the same thing.  Mixing work and school (for a while I did it while I was full time and with two small kids) takes an incredible amount of dedication and concentration...oh, and lack of sleep.

meh I laugh at you all 

7k in student loan debt and dropped out once ... nm that I had help from my mom or anything....

All that debt actually came from 2.5 years of school.  I lived at home while this happened.  

Kids do have to make choices and I encourage them not to spend 10s of thousands of dollars when they dont even know what they want to do yet.  So proud of my niece.  She is going to community college for two years then the regular college.. now time to encourage her not to go to that liberal arts school that is in 40k tuition without room and board.

On 5/23/2017 at 11:19 PM, lostone said:

meh I laugh at you all 

7k in student loan debt and dropped out once ... nm that I had help from my mom or anything....

All that debt actually came from 2.5 years of school.  I lived at home while this happened.  

Kids do have to make choices and I encourage them not to spend 10s of thousands of dollars when they dont even know what they want to do yet.  So proud of my niece.  She is going to community college for two years then the regular college.. now time to encourage her not to go to that liberal arts school that is in 40k tuition without room and board.

^Nothing wrong with this path.

21 hours ago, Joremarid said:

Why do people talk about how they paid for college in the 50s as if thats relevant today...

"I picked apples 3 days a week for a couple hours and paid all my tuition... lazy millenials"

You realize Cappy didn't go to college in the 50s I assume.....

One semester at Ga Southern is now 5 grand and that doesn't include books, a place to live, or food. I had a part time job making $17 an hour and it was difficult to make ends meet. 

Maybe 20 years ago it was possible to work your way through school, but now you have to rack up huge amounts of student debt to make it work. I'll go ahead and say I'm  a STEM major before i get all the liberal arts degree bs. 

But if you want to see how cappys experience translates to today, according to mercer university's website the yearly cost of attendance is $50,282... but if you stay with your parents its $41,696.

Macon state, now middle georgia state university,  lists cost of attendance as $20,175

Some simple math puts the total cost between 120k-140k.

7 minutes ago, Joremarid said:

But if you want to see how cappys experience translates to today, according to mercer university's website the yearly cost of attendance is $50,282... but if you stay with your parents its $41,696.

Macon state, now middle georgia state university,  lists cost of attendance as $20,175

Simple math is hard for some of these far right "fiscal" conservatives. 

27 minutes ago, Joremarid said:

I went to college during dubyas admin and it's not applicable to today

That's fair, and your point is reasonable.  I was just being sure you understood he wasn't talking about picking apples for Ma and Pa Ingles either.

Just now, JDaveG said:

That's fair, and your point is reasonable.  I was just being sure you understood he wasn't talking about picking apples for Ma and Pa Ingles either.

I should clarify, it was hyperbolic. Was referring to wfw saying he paid for college setting pins at a local bowling alley in a previous thread from before my break.

9 minutes ago, Sturgil Simpson said:

Simple math is hard for some of these far right "fiscal" conservatives. 

I dont pretend to know why exactly the cost of attendance has grown exponentially over the last decade or so but its creating a large barrier to one of the only ways a lot of people can move up in class.

5 minutes ago, Joremarid said:

I dont pretend to know why exactly the cost of attendance has grown exponentially over the last decade or so but its creating a large barrier to one of the only ways a lot of people can move up in class.

That answer is simple -- supply and demand, and it is ironically caused by easy access to student loans.

When everybody can go to college, and everybody does, that means the demand for college is much, much higher than when only certain people can go to college.

Now, it is rudimentary -- what happens to price when demand rises?

That's simplifying it, but it's the basic math.  It's the same reason we had a housing bubble, a dot-com bubble, etc.  Easy access increases demand, increased demand increases price.  This shouldn't surprise anyone.

43 minutes ago, Sturgil Simpson said:

One semester at Ga Southern is now 5 grand and that doesn't include books, a place to live, or food. I had a part time job making $17 an hour and it was difficult to make ends meet. 

Maybe 20 years ago it was possible to work your way through school, but now you have to rack up huge amounts of student debt to make it work. I'll go ahead and say I'm  a STEM major before i get all the liberal arts degree bs. 

17/hr is pretty dam good, in Valdosta 8/hr was what most people hoped for.  I don't think anyone knows what the solution is, but the people saying just get a job in the day and work at night to pay for school, housing, utilities, and transportation are certainly liars or delusional.  Kids are better off buying fking lotto tickets with the chips, at least you got a chance.....

1 hour ago, JDaveG said:

That answer is simple -- supply and demand, and it is ironically caused by easy access to student loans.

When everybody can go to college, and everybody does, that means the demand for college is much, much higher than when only certain people can go to college.

That's simplifying it, but it's the basic math.  It's the same reason we had a housing bubble, a dot-com bubble, etc.  Easy access increases demand, increased demand increases price.  This shouldn't surprise anyone.

Some of us look at a good Education as a right. Just like Healthcare. Others of us want to consider Education as a luxury good, much like Trump. So that way we can all get a Trump University degree and a good education.

1 hour ago, MACK2THEFUTURE said:

Some of us look at a good Education as a right. Just like Healthcare. Others of us want to consider Education as a luxury good, much like Trump. So that way we can all get a Trump University degree and a good education.

Some of you don't understand the difference between government doling out "rights" and negative liberties then. 

16 hours ago, Joremarid said:

Your post here is being very intellectually dishonest.  If you truly want to view my experience today then I'm an in-state resident who lived with my mother while I went to school.  As you can see by the attachment provided from MGSU's website, that annual cost is actually $4,542.  After Hope grant is applied for 2 semesters of $2,970, total out of pocket cost is $1,572 which basically is 1 weekend a month of delivering pizzas.  What you did was go to the out of state with room and board, etc. to get the highest possible number.  Simply not applicable to my experience nor anything I've ever advocated about attending a LOCAL community college.

MGSU.JPG

16 hours ago, JDaveG said:

It's also why college grads have such a hard time getting a job...

10 minutes ago, capologist said:

Your post here is being very intellectually dishonest.  If you truly want to view my experience today then I'm an in-state resident who lived with my mother while I went to school.  As you can see by the attachment provided from MGSU's website, that annual cost is actually $4,542.  After Hope grant is applied for 2 semesters of $2,970, total out of pocket cost is $1,572 which basically is 1 weekend a month of delivering pizzas.  What you did was go to the out of state with room and board, etc. to get the highest possible number.  Simply not applicable to my experience nor anything I've ever advocated about attending a LOCAL community college.

MGSU.JPG

I dont know what that pictute is of or the source but here is mine that shows the 20k coa.

http://college-tuition.startclass.com/l/17814/Middle-Georgia-State-University

Also what about mercer?