Revisiting Hageman move to defensive end article from last season

I would like to revisit this article to see what you all think Ra'shede Hageman role will be this season. This article was published last spring when we had Tyson Jackson and before we signed Dwight Freeney.

Falcons' Ra'Shede Hageman could be headed to an end

Vaughn McClure

May 16, 2016

The Atlanta Falcons want to use Ra'Shede Hageman's strength and power in a different manner.

Hageman, a 2014 second-round draft pick from Minnesota, will get a look at defensive end rather than defensive tackle in the base defense leading into the season.

"I’m very excited about that; very excited," Hageman said. "It’s something I did in college. It’s a nice little move for me."

Hageman will audition at the same strong-side defensive end role Tyson Jackson played last season, while the coaches are expected to see what Jackson can do inside at defensive tackle. Hageman commended Jackson for taking time to tutor him on the new role. (Now that Jackson is gone a majority of his reps can go to Hageman)

"That’s all we’re doing is we’re really going back and forth on what to look for, what not to look for," Hageman said. "It’s more of a power position. We’re going back and forth trying to get as comfortable as we can."

Lining straight up against offensive tackles will give Hageman an opportunity to show he can use his power to control the point of attack and help shut down the run. Playing the three-technique defensive tackle spot was more about first-step quickness and penetrating the gap, which wasn’t something Hageman showed the ability to do consistently. He too often was a victim of reach blocks, where offensive lineman could cross his face and wall him off. Now, he'll have more room with which to work. (Jackson did not have the quickness to play 3T either)

The Falcons obviously want to get the most out of Hageman, considering he was a high draft pick. He came to Atlanta with the size and physical tools to make an impact, and the previous coaching staff viewed him as the ideal 3-4 defensive end in a multiple scheme. But there were questions about his maturity. As a rookie, he was too hard on himself and often let his frustration show. Then last year, Hageman had a sideline shoving match with defensive line coach Bryan Cox. The relationship between Hageman and Cox was frosty throughout the season.

"It's time to grow up," Hageman said. "At the end the day, it’s about being a professional. Coach Cox has always seen himself in me. That’s the kind of player he was. But it’s all love, man."

If Hageman is going to make an impact for the Falcons moving forward, he has to prove his worth now. He’s not the ideal fit for Dan Quinn’s 4-3-under attacking defense. Hageman’s power and strength, however, is something he has to use to his advantage when on the field. He won’t be part of the team’s nickel rush package, which is expected to feature Adrian Clayborn, Grady Jarrett, Derrick Shelby, and Vic Beasley. (Dwight Freeney was added after this article was published)

Hageman was asked if he viewed 2016 as a make-or-break year.

"I feel like every year is the most important," he said. "This is my third year. I’m not one to sit here and brag and talk a bunch of words. It’s about my actions. I have to get it done on the field."

Last season, Hageman started 12 of 16 games and finished with 27 total tackles, two tackles for losses, one sack, and six quarterback hits. He played 402 defensive snaps (44 less than Jackson, by comparison).

Hageman was basically left without a role early last season due to Babs playing the 3T and Jackson retaining his role as the 5T. Hageman was either inactive, or played limited snaps when he was active on game day. Even when injuries started to mount Hageman snaps really didn't spike.

Going back to the nickel rush package Quinn made the following statement midway during the season.

“Jarrett earned a lot of his teammates’ respect because of his style and attitude that he was playing with,” Quinn said. “We started him in the base package and he was doing quite well at that. Then we added him to the nickel package because we felt his quickness, we felt his strength.” Quinn has also been impressed with Jarrett’s ability to shed blockers.

In the Championship game against Green Bay Hageman did a good job playing the nose.

Just look at some of the plays Hageman made on Sunday in the Falcons' win over the Packers. I thought he did a good job of setting the tempo on the very first offensive play of the game for Green Bay.

He was lined up as a shaded nose tackle on the left side of Packers center Corey Linsley. On the snap Hageman beat Linsley's attempt at a reach block on a zone running play and knocked Linsley into the backfield to force Ty Montgomery to cut back almost immediately after he took the handoff.

[GIF]

Then, of course, there was the outstanding play Hageman made to get a sack in the second quarter. He was head up as a zero nose, and on the snap of the football he flat foot ran Linsley over on the way to the quarterback. Like, when I watched it live it looked like Hageman had broken Linsley for a second. That was as good of a pancake as you will ever see on a football field and then Hageman finished the play by diving and swiping Aaron Rodgers’ ankle to get him on the ground for an 11-yard loss.

Hage_sack.gif

Can you imagine if the guy played like that every single play?

Remember when Hageman tackled Christine Michael for a loss of 2 yards in the third quarter? That appeared to be a read-option play where Rodgers was reading an unblocked Hageman to decide whether to hand off the football. Not only was Hageman able to do a good job of breaking down in space, he was also able to gather himself enough to change direction and get to Michael before he could turn upfield. If Hageman could just play with that kind of balance on a consistent basis he wouldn't be even be fair.

Last but not least, Hageman notched another tackle for a loss, this time on fullback Aaron Ripkowski down near the goal line in the fourth quarter. Hageman was back at a shaded nose tackle position on the left between the guard and center and just flew into the backfield on the snap to engulf Ripkowski before he could even get started.

The Packers had backup rookie tackle Jason Springs in at right guard on that play, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Hageman still looked ****ed explosive getting off the ball. That was impressive no matter who was doing the blocking.

[GIF]

If Hageman could consistently duplicate the kind of play and production he had on Sunday against the Packers, he might eventually be considered one of the best defensive tackles in the league. Unfortunately that just hasn't been the case so far in his career.

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/24/14371018/rashede-hageman-falcons-defense-super-bowl-51

I believe Hageman will take a majority of his snaps at the 5T in base this season. What do you all think?

8 minutes ago, atlbaby said:

I would like to revisit this article to see what you all think Ra'shede Hageman role will be this season. This article was published last spring when we had Tyson Jackson and before we signed Dwight Freeney.

Hageman was basically left without a role early last season due to Babs playing the 3T and Jackson retaining his role as the 5T. Hageman was either inactive, or played limited snaps when he was active on game day. Even when injuries started to mount Hageman snaps really didn't spike.

Going back to the nickel rush package Quinn made the following statement midway during the season.

“Jarrett earned a lot of his teammates’ respect because of his style and attitude that he was playing with,” Quinn said. “We started him in the base package and he was doing quite well at that. Then we added him to the nickel package because we felt his quickness, we felt his strength.” Quinn has also been impressed with Jarrett’s ability to shed blockers.

In the Championship game against Green Bay Hageman did a good job playing the nose.

I believe Hageman will take a majority of his snaps at the 5T in base this season. What do you all think?

He won't get many snaps. Add Poe, Crawford, Shelby, Claiborne, Jarrett, Beasley, Takk, Reid (might get released) and the other guy. You have to adire DQ. Last year it's a weakness and this year it's a strength. 20 snaps a game.

7 minutes ago, BCurt57 said:

He won't get many snaps. Add Poe, Crawford, Shelby, Claiborne, Jarrett, Beasley, Takk, Reid (might get released) and the other guy. You have to adire DQ. Last year it's a weakness and this year it's a strength. 20 snaps a game.

You do do realize 20 snaps a game is a decent amount considering we will be in nickel 70% of the time.

Takk, Reed, Clayborn, Poe, and Jarrett does not play that position, although Poe could possibly.

7 minutes ago, vel said:

Hageman is not a 5T. He should be, but that's not his game. He's more 1T. Next to Grady and relieving Poe should be his assignment. Let Crawford and Shelby man the 5T spot. 

We shall see. Many thought that about Red Bryant but Quinn had him playing there.

3 minutes ago, atlbaby said:

We shall see. Many thought that about Red Bryant but Quinn had him playing there.

But... We've seen Hageman trying to play 5T for two years now. That's not where he wins. Once they moved him to 1T midway through last season, he thrived. 

19 minutes ago, vel said:

Hageman is not a 5T. He should be, but that's not his game. He's more 1T. Next to Grady and relieving Poe should be his assignment. Let Crawford and Shelby man the 5T spot. 

That's the crazy part to me.  He's prototypical, but he just doesn't seem to make anything happen from that position.

1 hour ago, atlbaby said:

That's probably the last place we'll see Hageman. He was much better last season once they kicked him back inside, especially at 1T. I honestly don't expect much from Hageman, but it IS a contract year after all, so we'll see. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's not even active on gamedays -- assuming he makes the team.

Just now, TheFalcoholic said:

He played very well when it mattered most. This year, we will know what he is. 

That s it.....he's been so inconsistent can he put a full year together? But he did beast during playoffs. If he comes out flat first half of season I doubt we'll resign him even if he plays well in playoffs again. DQ won't put up with that inconsistent play anymore.

6 minutes ago, gazoo said:

That s it.....he's been so inconsistent can he put a full year together? But he did beast during playoffs. If he comes out flat first half of season I doubt we'll resign him even if he plays well in playoffs again. DQ won't put up with that inconsistent play anymore.

It's all up to him. He has the physical ability. Always has. He has the coach. I don't know what it is that prevents him from playing like that week in and week out. I haven't studied him enough, but I do know that we won't resign him if he doesn't ball out this year. You're right. 

10 minutes ago, gazoo said:

....DQ won't put up with that inconsistent play anymore.

Exactly....ever since Hard Knocks it's been obvious that his motivation and mental approach to the game are not equal to his natural physical ability. When he's on he's on, when he's off, well, I'm hoping he turns on the switch he found in the playoffs and keeps it going, else Coach Quinn may give  him permanent time off. 

What do you think Hagemans GT score would be?

I really like him when he is on and it happened in the play offs. He can beat everybody when he wants to. Do you remember the Saints game some years ago? Bull rush on Jahri Evans and sack on Brees - loved that play.

This is a contract year and we will have a new D line coach. I have a feeling that he will ball...

Where does this myth come from that Ra'shede played good down the stretch and in the playoffs? I'm not a Hageman hater but he only played well in the GB game and made 2 plays in the SF game (1 play) and the 2nd Carolina game (1 play). Other than that he was nonexistence.

I will continue to sit back and hope he plays like he did against GB on a continuous basis. The addition of Poe and Crawford will only make it difficult for him to see the field.

Hard to imagine Quinn giving the nod to draft him out of Minnesota.

Probably why he has focused on adding DL guys from the moment he arrived here. That was arguably his biggest concern to mold a strong DL when starters were Babs, Jackson and Hageman. Luckily he was up to the challenge.