Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
atljbo

Pain, anger drove Dan Quinn to fix Falcons’ defense

32 posts in this topic

“Yeah,” he said. “But I’m past it. I mean, I’m not passed it. But … I’m passed it.”  sounds like myself to a tee.

“That wasn’t it. The guys were gassed. We had never played in the 90s (snap count). We were not traumatized at all. You could tell there was nothing left in the tank. They would come to the sideline in the fourth quarter and nobody was talking because there was nothing left.”

(Injured cornerback Desmond Trufant might have helped, too.)    BOOM!!!!!!!

27 minutes ago, atljbo said:

Quinn turned to defensive coordinator Richard Smith after that and said, “I’m going to take this for a while.”

“For a while” turned out to be the rest of the season.

Quinn called every defensive play. He ran every defensive practice. He kept it in-house to avoid obvious distractions. When the season ended, he blew up his coaching staff, firing Smith and defensive line coach Bryan Cox, promoting secondary coach Marquand Manuel and adding line coach Bryant Young.

Some took it as the Falcons’ second-year coach overreacting to the Super Bowl loss. But it had been decided weeks earlier. “I was going to do this regardless of when the season ended,” Quinn said.

“(Smith) is such a good fundamentalist, and as you’re building a program I thought, what better than having a good fundamentalist?” Quinn said. “But the vision I had didn’t come through and I thought, ‘OK, a change has to be made.’”

#Brotherhood

Did a good job not letting the media blow this up and distracting our Super Bowl run. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what Young and Simpson can do with our D-line

Kung Fu Kenny and Herr Doktor like this

I wonder what Quinn envisioned that he said never came to fruition. 

It's good to know that these changes had been decided on before we lost the SB. I love his decisiveness. 

Great article. 

Herr Doktor likes this

Posted (edited)

These are my favorite articles to read about our team. I love finding out things as they actually are instead of how we just guess they might be.

This is the defense Quinn took control of in the 12th game at Kansas City, after the Chiefs drove to a touchdown on their opening drive.

Quinn turned to defensive coordinator Richard Smith after that and said, “I’m going to take this for a while.”

Quinn called every defensive play. He ran every defensive practice. He kept it in-house to avoid obvious distractions. When the season ended, he blew up his coaching staff, firing Smith and defensive line coach Bryan Cox, promoting secondary coach Marquand Manuel and adding line coach Bryant Young.

Some took it as the Falcons’ second-year coach overreacting to the Super Bowl loss. But it had been decided weeks earlier. “I was going to do this regardless of when the season ended,” Quinn said.

“(Smith) is such a good fundamentalist, and as you’re building a program I thought, what better than having a good fundamentalist?” Quinn said. “But the vision I had didn’t come through and I thought, ‘OK, a change has to be made.’”

“It wasn’t about one play,” he said. “Those (defensive series) are the ones I evaluated over and over. When you go back and sit through it over and over, you know, ‘I **** sure can’t get a do-over. But I can learn from it.’ I won’t apologize for how aggressive we play and our style and attitude of where we’re headed. But I have learned from that experience.”

He didn’t get specific, but said, “I could have made it easier on them with design (changes). I could’ve changed the scenarios.”

Edited by RandomFan

THANK YOU

YungFalco, Herr Doktor and JDaveG like this

History hasn’t been kind to losing Super Bowl teams. The last losing team to return the next season was Buffalo (four straight from 1990-93, all losses).

Good read, but idgaf about History... especially after the big dance. :bang:

Great insights from Quinn. I am thrilled he's the HC and am excited about the upcoming season.

I don't get how someone gets paid as a writer and doesn't know the difference between "passed" and "past." The casserole "gets passed" around the table at dinner, one "gets past" the trauma of allowing the opponent to score the winning TD in overtime. 

24 minutes ago, Kaptain Krazy said:

I don't get how someone gets paid as a writer and doesn't know the difference between "passed" and "past." The casserole "gets passed" around the table at dinner, one "gets past" the trauma of allowing the opponent to score the winning TD in overtime. 

What's funny is he used it correctly and then incorrectly in back to back sentences. 

Falx, JDaveG and AndySG like this

2 hours ago, atljbo said:

“Embrace The Suck,” Quinn repeated after he and his staff took rookies and first-year players through Friday’s minicamp. “Eat a crap sandwich with a smile. This is going to be hard. Your choice: It’s a victim’s mentality or a warrior mentality. It’s like, ‘I know this run is going to be long, and it’s going to be really hard. But here I go again.’”

Words to live by...

I have not written a word about that game.  I was devastated by the loss.  Could not and will not go back and re-watch it.  I actually get angry when people talk about blowing it.  I love the coach's attitude.  I think I see why he added some players with "grit".  Those are they guys that make losing miserable, and put an exclamation mark on wins.  I cannot wait for practice to start.  I cannot wait for actual games to be played.  I believe the intensity of the defense will be off the charts.  There are going to be some dog-fight battles in practice.  The Offense will benefit, but will get punched in the mouth first. 

I do not think you will see this version of the Falcons give up meaningless 4th quarter points and yards.  I will bet you there will be a new 4th Quarter pride that says, "that will not happen again".

I am not past the loss, but I will embrace the new tone completely.  Every interviewer that asks about the loss will fuel the fire.

This is going to be a fully instituted Dan Quinn Defense with execution, attitude and physicality.  I am all in.

4 hours ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

“Yeah,” he said. “But I’m past it. I mean, I’m not passed it. But … I’m passed it.”  sounds like myself to a tee.

“That wasn’t it. The guys were gassed. We had never played in the 90s (snap count). We were not traumatized at all. You could tell there was nothing left in the tank. They would come to the sideline in the fourth quarter and nobody was talking because there was nothing left.”

(Injured cornerback Desmond Trufant might have helped, too.)    BOOM!!!!!!!

The worsening injuries to Mack and Schraeder made them less capable of dropping into their pass protection sets.  Coleman's injury took away the threat of a big play out of the backfield.  Injuries to Shelby and Clayborn rendered our DL less capable of rotating players to keep them rested.

Quinn was so busy with the defense, he did not manage his whole team.  Shanny, the Asperger Coordinator, was focussed on his playbook rather than the condition of his players.  

Inexperienced players made bone headed moves, like running the ball out of the end zone instead of accepting the touch back and staring on the 25.  Conversely, our kicker kept putting the ball deep into the end zone, thereby allowing them to start possessions at the 25.  The minor mistakes kept piling up, one by one.  

Nearly every decision, however small, colluded to allow the Patriots to come back and tie the game.

One of the most important lessons that should be learned is how to manage a team....how to manage a win.  With Quinn less distracted with the details of running a defense, he should be able to direct his players and coaches better.  At least, I hope so.   

2 hours ago, PeytonMannings Forehead said:

Words to live by...

I was just thinking the same thing.

58 minutes ago, etherdome said:

The worsening injuries to Mack and Schraeder made them less capable of dropping into their pass protection sets.  Coleman's injury took away the threat of a big play out of the backfield.  Injuries to Shelby and Clayborn rendered our DL less capable of rotating players to keep them rested.

Quinn was so busy with the defense, he did not manage his whole team.  Shanny, the Asperger Coordinator, was focussed on his playbook rather than the condition of his players.  

Inexperienced players made bone headed moves, like running the ball out of the end zone instead of accepting the touch back and staring on the 25.  Conversely, our kicker kept putting the ball deep into the end zone, thereby allowing them to start possessions at the 25.  The minor mistakes kept piling up, one by one.  

Nearly every decision, however small, colluded to allow the Patriots to come back and tie the game.

One of the most important lessons that should be learned is how to manage a team....how to manage a win.  With Quinn less distracted with the details of running a defense, he should be able to direct his players and coaches better.  At least, I hope so.   

Weems not iinexperianced player just dumb decision.

Time will tell if it's fixed or not. I think Quinn is definitely on the right track.

55 minutes ago, UltraTurbo 2000 said:

Weems not iinexperianced player just dumb decision.

I don't think it was Weems, though my memory is foggy (defense mechanism)

I guess the AJC fired all their proof readers. "I'm passed it." And also saying the game "at" Kansas City. That game was very much in the Dome.

What we all love about Quinn cost us the game pedal to the metal on both sides of the ball and the engine blew.

I don't want Quinn to change but let Manuel coach the D Sark the O and you manage the game. 

What Quinn has done in 2 years is remarkable as a rookie head coach and he's only going to get better. 

Doctor Kildare and JDaveG like this