g-dawg

REPORT: Falcons traded up for Takkarist McKinley to leapfrog Dallas Cowboys

79 posts in this topic

Report: Falcons traded up for Takkarist McKinley to leapfrog Dallas Cowboys

Dallas was also thirsty for a pass rusher.
by Dave Choate  May 12, 2017, 8:00am EDT

usa_today_10033325.0.jpg

The Atlanta Falcons needed a pass rusher pretty badly, as we repeatedly argued in the run-up to the draft. To ensure they got the one they liked, they had to swap up a few spots, and now we have our most concrete reports that indicate why they felt they had to go up.

It was the Dallas Cowboys, of course. Charean Williams of the Star-Telegram reports that the Cowboys were strongly interested in Takkarist McKinley. Atlanta either figured that out or had a strong hunch that caused them to move up. Dallas took Taco Charlton two picks later.

The Cowboys also had first-round interest in UCLA defensive end Takkarist McKinely, but the Falcons jumped the Cowboys and picked him at No. 26. The Cowboys selected Michigan defensive end Taco Charlton at No. 28 and were satisfied with the choice.

McKinley is a better fit for Atlanta’s defense than Charlton, given his athleticism and pass rushing ability, so it’s little surprise the Falcons made him a priority. The Falcons have faced questions every time they trade up about whether they actually needed to do so, so hopefully this will help set a few minds at ease.

I know we had speculated this since Day#1 of the draft and the Cowboys war room cam with the radio guys and Dana Bugler seemed to confirm it.

Think it is safe to say we can dispense with the - "Falcons could have just hung tight and got Takk" - this myth has virtually been dispelled.   It is also possible that the Saints would have traded up for Takk instead of their failed attempt for Reuben Foster had he been on the board.   Steelers took TJ Watt - I believe they would have selected him anyway but Takk was a possibility at #30 as well w/ Steelers.

There is enough "there" there to say that Takk would not have been there at #31 for our Falcons.  We gave up 3rd and 7th round pick -the 7th rounder was at the very end and nothing more than the equivalent of an UDFA.   As long as Takk recovers from shoulder, the trade was reasonable and worth it - with the subsequent trade down from #2-63 to #3-75, we got back most of our draft capital and we probably would have taken Duke Riley with that 2nd round pick anyway - so I don't think the trade hurt us much at all.

The Cowgirls initially wanted to trade up with Baltimore to get Charles Harris, but the Ravens target (Marlon Humphrey) fell to them and they didn't wanted to risk losing him by trading back -  and then the Dolphins ended up taking Harris. They then wanted Takk and we found out and took him from them so they "settled" for Taco Charlton. Eventful first round for the Cowgirls.

0 for 51, Falx, Vandy and 12 others like this

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I know we had speculated this since Day#1 of the draft.

Yea, I saw this over at The Falcoholic, but, like you,.......didn't think it was really too exciting. I hate the Cowboys, tho.

0 for 51 likes this

2 minutes ago, FentayeJones said:

The Cowgirls initially wanted to trade up with Baltimore to get Charles Harris, but the Ravens target (Marlon Humphrey) fell to them and they didn't wanted to risk losing him by trading back -  and then the Dolphins ended up taking Harris. They then wanted Takk and we found out and took him from them so the "settled" for Taco Charlton. Eventful first round for the Cowgirls.

yeah, even though the Cowgirls did well w/ Dak Prescott and Zeke Elliott last year, I believe the Jaylon Smith pick at the beginning of 2nd round is starting to look like a failed gamble - 17 months removed from his injury and still waiting on nerve regeneration is kind of scary.

Taking the Taco - who has upside but questionable motor - looks like another bad gamble.

11 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

I know we had speculated this since Day#1 of the draft and the Cowboys war room cam with the radio guys and Dana Bugler seemed to confirm it.

Think it is safe to say we can dispense with the - "Falcons could have just hung tight and got Takk" - this myth has virtually been dispelled.   It is also possible that the Saints would have traded up for Takk instead of their failed attempt for Reuben Foster had he been on the board.   Steelers took TJ Watt - I believe they would have selected him anyway but Takk was a possibility at #30 as well w/ Steelers.

There is enough "there" there to say that Takk would not have been there at #31 for our Falcons.  We gave up 3rd and 7th round pick -the 7th rounder was at the very end and nothing more than the equivalent of an UDFA.   As long as Takk recovers from shoulder, the trade was reasonable and worth it - with the subsequent trade down from #2-63 to #3-75, we got back most of our draft capital and we probably would have taken Duke Riley with that 2nd round pick anyway - so I don't think the trade hurt us much at all.

Yeah If we wanted Takk, we HAD to get in front of Dallas. They were going to take him. TD had some good intel.

dozer, vitaman, Jerz and 4 others like this

Just now, g-dawg said:

what scares you about the Cowboys defense?  I got nuttin'.

I'd be scared of a potent offense that adds a big piece on defense.  A guy with his skills could turn the table for them on D and help get that O back on the field.

Just now, Stray Dog THA GAWD said:

I'd be scared of a potent offense that adds a big piece on defense.  A guy with his skills could turn the table for them on D and help get that O back on the field.

it takes more than just ONE passrusher to make a defense.  Who you like on Cowboys D?  Sean Lee(when healthy), Byron Jones(young safety) - maybe Orlando Scandrick(CB) - none of those guys are superstars.

The only thing that scares me about the Cowboys is Zeke and the O-Line.  Cowboys defense is average at best.

1 minute ago, g-dawg said:

it takes more than just ONE passrusher to make a defense.  Who you like on Cowboys D?  Sean Lee(when healthy), Byron Jones(young safety) - maybe Orlando Scandrick(CB) - none of those guys are superstars.

The only thing that scares me about the Cowboys is Zeke and the O-Line.  Cowboys defense is average at best.

He would've been just one piece.  My point was he would have been a BIG piece.  The O is the real danger.

24 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Their defense is kinda built like ours was under Smitty (especially when Turner was effective running the ball).. ..stay off the field, bend but don't break.

their offense can be scary good, but I think we would blow their defense off the field.

Herr Doktor and Mid-Nite-Toker like this

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Byron Jones is going to be good and they have an underrated D Line , I see them as one of the few teams that could actually give the falcons a test 

Edited by caponine
Vandy likes this

Just now, caponine said:

Byron Jones is going to be good and they have an underrated D Line , I see them as the few teams that could actually give the falcons a test 

I am not crapping on the Cowboys as a TEAM - but I am saying their defense is not that talented.  I listed Byron Jones as a good player - don't see anything in your post that makes me change my mind on Cowboys Defense.

They actually got worse on defense w/ some of the defections in the secondary.

I am not crapping on the Cowboys as a TEAM - but I am saying their defense is not that talented.  I listed Byron Jones as a good player - don't see anything in your post that makes me change my mind on Cowboys Defense.

Yeah I don't see anything scary or intimidating about the Dallas defense. The have an average dline - injury prone linebackers and lost almost their entire secondary.

Vandy, g-dawg and dozer like this

Just now, g-dawg said:

The defense like ours is growing , it's a lot of young players there . U could say that got worse but did they really ?? U still have Scandrick , let's be honest Claiborne    wasn't the best player . Their safeties weren't that good either . So serious question. , in your opinion who did they lose that is so significant 

1 minute ago, FentayeJones said:

Yeah I don't see anything scary or intimidating about the Dallas defense. The have an average dline - injury prone linebackers and lost almost their entire secondary.

We had an average d line in terms of stats last year , remember ?? 

2 minutes ago, caponine said:

The defense like ours is growing , it's a lot of young players there . U could say that got worse but did they really ?? U still have Scandrick , let's be honest Claiborne    wasn't the best player . Their safeties weren't that good either . So serious question. , in your opinion who did they lose that is so significant 

the better question is WHO is significant that they have?  Where is their Deion Jones?  Where is their Vic Beasley?  Where is their Grady Jarrett?  Where is their DeVondre Campbell? Where is their Desmond Trufant? They don't have anybody that compares to our guys....

Where is their talent?  Byron Jones - YES,  Sean Lee(when healthy) - YES - who else?  I cannot name a single other talented player that would start for the Falcons - OR - that I even consider much above just "average NFL player".

caponine and Vandy like this

11 minutes ago, caponine said:

Byron Jones is going to be good and they have an underrated D Line , I see them as one of the few teams that could actually give the falcons a test 

Giants are my sleeper pick in NFCE

ratesforless likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Giants are my sleeper pick in NFCE

Yeah, I like the GIANTS as well.   Much better defense than the Cowboys - Eli is good about every other year - added Brandon Marshall and your favorite "move TE" in Evan Engram - to go along w/ OBJ and Sterling Shepard.   They are gonna be hard to handle and if they get up 14-0 on Dallas, turn out the lights.

falconfansince66, Vandy and dozer like this

the better question is WHO is significant that they have?  Where is their Deion Jones?  Where is their Vic Beasley?  Where is their Grady Jarrett?  Where is their DeVondre Campbell? Where is their Desmond Trufant? They don't have anybody that compares to our guys....

Where is their talent?  Byron Jones - YES,  Sean Lee(when healthy) - YES - who else?  I cannot name a single other talented player that would start for the Falcons - OR - that I even consider much above just "average NFL player".

Lol which is true lol there's a lot of unknowns on their defense .

they can build around those two guys , 

The Beasley draft pick signified a new era on defense , they started to build around him and it worked out wonderful