Realist

NFC South Position Group Rankings: RB

61 posts in this topic

DISCLAIMER: Personally, I am including/considering rookies as well when I make these rankings. 

1. Falcons: Do I really have to say anything? Coleman and Freeman are the class of the division at runningback. Curious to see how much Freeman gets paid next year. My best guess is 8-9mil/season. 

2. Saints: Ehhh honestly the other three teams aren't very impressive at RB. Ingram is alright and AD is a question mark coming off an injured season, but he's AD so saints get the 2nd spot.

3. Panthers: Ehh I guess Cam's running ability breaks the tie between them and the bucs here. McCaff could be dangerous out of the backfield, but idk how much Stewart has left in the tank.

4. Bucs: Drug Martin needs to stop taking "the mollys". He had a ****** season and so did Charles Sims. We'll see if they have a bounce back year. Quizz is a fantastic back to have for depth. 

Doing WR/TE tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Realist said:

DISCLAIMER: Personally, I am including/considering rookies as well when I make these rankings. 

1. Falcons: Do I really have to say anything? Coleman and Freeman are the class of the division at runningback. Curious to see how much Freeman gets paid next year. My best guess is 8-9mil/season. 

2. Saints: Ehhh honestly the other three teams aren't very impressive at RB. Ingram is alright and AD is a question mark coming off an injured season, but he's AD so saints get the 2nd spot.

3. Panthers: Ehh I guess Cam's running ability breaks the tie between them and the bucs here. McCaff could be dangerous out of the backfield, but idk how much Stewart has left in the tank.

4. Bucs: Drug Martin needs to stop taking "the mollys". He had a ****** season and so did Charles Sims. We'll see if they have a bounce back year. Quizz is a fantastic back to have for depth. 

Doing WR/TE tomorrow.

To me, this was pretty much an easy choice for the top to bottom. I think the Falcons are in the top 3 for the NFL for RB positional rankings.

ShanghaiDirtyBird likes this

I actually think all 4 teams have strong groups at RB. Based on last year you'd have to have the Falcons at 1. 

Some interesting additions at RB in the division McCaffrey, AP, Hill - it'll be fun to see how they all play out

caponine and Vandy like this

I'd say Falcons by far.  I do wonder what we will do with Hill.   Is he really just RB3 or will they potentially see if he could work as a small FB.  I could only imagine the potential nastinest of having him on the field at the same time as Free and Teco who could just as easily split out wide and still have a legit running threat in the backfield (unlike DiMarco).

I honestly feel like we have the best RB group in the league. The numbers might not reflect that entirely. But when you have the passing game that we do, the running game isn't going to rack up video game numbers. 

Just based on the eye test, there were times last year where it looked like Freeman and Coleman were completely unstoppable. You could make a Freeman highlight reel just from the first Saints game last year. Then Coleman confounded the best defense in the NFL on their own field in Denver. 

Ingram is better than alright. The Saints just refuse to use him correctly. Be glad the Saints don't know how to use him or he would have a much different perception around the league. 

As others have said, very easy rankings here.  I tell you what, last year when Free and TeCo were on the field together it was a match up nightmare for the defenses.  It was a thing of beauty but it seemed like we went away from it late in the year for some reason.

0 for 51 likes this

Falcons: It's simply not just Freeman and Coleman's production that make them the best RB duo, not just in the NFC South, but the entire NFL...it's their complimentary yet diverse style/talents that set them apart.

Bucs: I'm going to chalk 2016 to being a bad year.  But Doug Martin was All-Pro in 2015 and Charles Sims was a nice complimentary piece particularly in the passing game.  With Jacquizz Rodgers also in the fold, I think this group bounces back.

Panthers: I'll caveat this by saying that I'm including Cam in this equation due to how prominent a role he plays in their run game.  Stewart is mostly spent IMO and while McCaffrey has a very nice pedigree coming out of school, I can't rank them ahead of the Bucs until we see what he can do at the NFL level.  Room to move up here though.

Saints: AP might be able to make a difference here.  I don't want to count him out.  But both him and Ingram feel like they have a lot of miles on them and also, that we've seen the best they have to offer.  Plus, Drew Brees hasn't had a season with fewer than 625 pass attempts since 2009.  So a balanced offense this is not.

BadMoonRising and Falcan Moore like this

Realist

I agree with your post above about our RB position and Colemans value within it but on another thread yesterday you disparaged Toilolo for being just an insignificant backup. 

Toilolo played 570 offensive snaps, or 55% of them, on the NFLs 7th most prolific offense in NFL  history. Toilolo also played another 133 snaps on one of the better special teams units in the NFL for a total snap could of 703

Now, you claim because we have Freeman and Coleman we have one of best RB groups in NFL which I agree with. Coleman had 353 snaps, only 34% of our offensive snaps.

My question is, why are your arguments so inconsistent? You disparage Toilolo as a backup that is of no significance to our offense yet praise Colemans value while he was on field  over 20% less of the time as Toilolo.

in short, Toilolo contributed more to this offense than Coleman did last year, although they both contributed a lot. 

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Ingram is better than alright. The Saints just refuse to use him correctly. Be glad the Saints don't know how to use him or he would have a much different perception around the league. 

Yeah he can do just as much as coleman except line up wide.but still think panthers have better rbs than saints

Edited by Califalcon0013

IMO the Falcons are the only team without a big question mark in the RB stable. For that reason I have to say ATL number one.

1. Atlanta. Too 5 overall RB paired with one of the better backups and receiving backs in the NFL.

2. Saints, mainly because Ingram is the only other sure thing at RB in the division. AP is a huge question mark as an aging RB with recent injuries that no other team seemed to want.

3. Panthers, the Cam effect greatly helps the run game and needs to be considered. Stewart is good but can never be counted on for 16 games. CMac is unproven as a rookie and I still wonder if he can take an NFL pounding between the tackles. Big risk with big upside.

4. Bucks, Martin has never had solid back to back seasons. Coming off a bad year history says he is due, but let's make sure he makes the roster first. Their depth isn't a sure thing either. Really expected them to take a back early.

16 hours ago, Realist said:

AD is a question mark coming off an injured season, but he's AD

People still call him this? lol

My list:

Falcons: One of the deadliest run games last year with the system Shanahan employed. Short passes and handoffs EW concepts were bread and butter for Coleman and Freeman. The addition of Hill will add to the power run game you guys missed last year. I'd give them the edge above the Panthers.

Panthers: Really, we could employ one of the most versatile and dangerous running games in the NFL. Only reason I'm not putting them above the Falcons is that they're pretty equal, but we have the disadvantage of not knowing the course of our rookies. Cam Newton can still be a threat, but Stewart is still playing at a really high level for his age (see performances against Redskins and Falcons). McCaffrey is one of the best between the tackle runners from this draft class and his vision is elite, and Curtis Samuel adds another wrinkle to the game with his ability. 

Saints: They got something going. I still see Ingram as the starter with AP as relief, but they also got Alvin Kamara who should excel in their system as a space runner. The Saints aren't half bad in that area whatsoever.

Buccaneers. Meh. Doug Martin is really good, but then you got meh. Sims is alright, but they got a lot more questions than answers.

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, FalconAge said:

There is no way Freeman is getting 9 million as lead back in a committee.

I am pretty sure he's not getting that even if he was a bell cow back, much less a committee back.

i am thinking he will get something closer to five a year on the average.

Edited by Ezekiel 25:17

On 5/12/2017 at 9:05 AM, FalconAge said:

There is no way Freeman is getting 9 million as lead back in a committee.

A team could very well offer him 9 mil to be their guy. 

I think if Hill beats out ward for # 3,ward goes to the 9ers.I am more concerned with the loss of DiMarco.I sure hope we have someone to fill that role this season.

On 5/12/2017 at 0:24 PM, SamMills51 said:

Panthers: Really, we could employ one of the most versatile and dangerous running games in the NFL. Only reason I'm not putting them above the Falcons is that they're pretty equal, but we have the disadvantage of not knowing the course of our rookies. Cam Newton can still be a threat, but Stewart is still playing at a really high level for his age (see performances against Redskins and Falcons). McCaffrey is one of the best between the tackle runners from this draft class and his vision is elite, and Curtis Samuel adds another wrinkle to the game with his ability. 

Cam Newton isn't a running back mate.

Knight of God likes this

6 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

tumblr_nzqrakIJgP1ur6ghso3_400.gif

**Do not read the following if you do not wish to see any Panther analysis related material**

So, the prospect of the threat of McCaffrey, Stewart, Cam, or Samuel being in the backfield doesn't scare you a bit? The potential for this to be one of the deadliest run games is there, but because it's potential, I still rated it below the Falcons.

Even just our runningbacks alone make this a scary group.

Let me give you a refresher of what you'll be facing.

1. RB Jonathan Stewart

Stewart who still powers through people even at his age, and will finally share his snaps to maximize his effectiveness. If you really think he dropped in play whatsoever, you're pretty delusional. Considering our practice squad players on our o-line forced him to evade defenders before the LoS a lot, he still was effective. By no means is he easy to contain.

giphy.gif

Once again, you see his physicality and toughness everyone has come to know and love. These are games mid to near the end of 2016, so it's pretty hard to say he "regressed."

giphy.gif

GIF

Oh, and he had a real good game against Atlanta, albeit our sloppy loss. 

GIF

So our run game is still pretty dangerous with Stewart in it. When he's healthy, he's a force to contain. He just needs someone to help alleviate some of the carries from him so he can remain that way. Which brings me to my next point...

2. RB Christian McCaffrey

If you think McCaffrey won't last in the NFL, you obviously haven't seen a piece of film on him in your life. Simply put, he's a lot like Brian Westbrook as far as comparisons, but with Le'Veon Bell's patience and LeSean McCoy's running style. He utilizes these characteristics to make plays, and is arguably one of the best between the tackle runningback from this draft class.

Speaking of Le'Veon Bell patience, stuff like this is common when watching McCaffrey's tape, turning no gains into 5-6+ yarders.

GIF

This is very common in McCaffrey's game. In a way, he made Stanford's line better with how he waits for blocks to develop. Like Bell, he waits for that hole to open up with solid pacing and jumps right through it. An intelligent theme in his repertoire.

Again, his elusive nature is what makes him dangerous. He will break defenders ankles and make them miss. He doesn't need power when he has this ability + his patience to gain huge yards.

GIF

apr-06-2017-15-07-33.gif?w=1000

For those of you who still believe McCaffrey just won't be able to break tackles (even though the first GIF shows plenty of examples of that), well you'll be disappointed when you see him power through this.

GIF

apr-06-2017-14-32-48.gif?w=1000

Oh, he also can play slot really well.

GIF

apr-06-2017-14-41-19.gif?w=1000

Complimenting this guy with Stewart's power running style is already a huge wrinkle to add on to our offense. He's already showing elite runningback traits and is an exceptional performer. He's a huge threat in the run game, and he will not be easy to take down either.

3. WR/RB Curtis Samuel

Now now, he will be mainly used as our slot guy instead of a runningback. He's got far more upside as a dominating WR than RB, but that doesn't excuse the fact he's still pretty good and will impact our running game.

While I don't expect Samuel to be a focal runner by any means, that doesn't mean we won't be putting looks of him at RB. I expect to see a bit of plays with McCaffrey and Samuel in the backfield just to give defenders headaches. You see, defenses have to respect the fact this might happen:

GIF

Or this

bucke.0.gif

And this

Curtis-Samuel-outside-run-TD-Oklahoma-GIF.gif

But don't worry, he'll be mainly playing slot WR. So, you'll likely see more of this:

GIF

And this

ezgif-1-6b228c3e0e.gif.0a20b30616adbf91636525f0f0ae6b13.gif

Oh, and he's also an extremely good blocker with a good stiff arm. Now no one will ever be Smitty, but you can't help but wonder if Samuel could be 1/8ths of what Agent 89 was...

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.f3918c00edfec294aba0c7baed1b6506.gif

GIF

So, once again, Samuel adds a whole new threat to our running game and offense as a whole. He will be scary to defend no matter how you look at it.

And if you count Cam as part of our running game (he is)...

4. QB Cam Newton

Still doing these kinds of plays last season. While I do see him running less, I do not see his running style regressing in any way.

GIF

giphy.gif

How It Applies To The Fact Our Run Game Will Be Deadly

Again, the Panthers had one of the most dangerous run games in 2015 with only Cam, Fatbert (honestly, he was pretty lackluster in 2015 as well), and Stewart. The fact is we now have McCaffrey and Samuel, who will completely change the facet of our run game and offense as a whole.

Oh, and dropping Fatbert for this 250lb beast is all right in my book:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_(4).gif.40defcc10f8c786bcd508d0c09c63746.gif

PFF provides a decent look at one way we can use McCaffrey and Samuel:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mccaffrey-samuel-makes-panthers-way-more-versatile/

The Panthers are, by and large, a one-back offense. Over the past two seasons they have had one back on the field in 11 or 12 personnel (one back, one TE, or one back, two TEs) on 81.9 percent of their snaps. The complexity that these versatile weapons gives them is not having both in the backfield at the same time, but in what the team can do from a motion standpoint to create mismatches with the defense.

XsOs

Here the Panthers have already created a mismatch in personnel by splitting TE Greg Olsen out to the left of the formation while the WRs form a bunch formation on the other side. The defense (Tampa Bay in this case) has elected to defend the receivers with their corners and bring the strong safety across to cover Olsen one on one as if he was a corner. This is a mismatch the Panthers exploited for an easy completion and a first down.

Now imagine the running back is Christian McCaffrey, and he is automatically matched up against a linebacker. Even if he is just used out of the backfield that’s a favourable matchup, but if they put him in motion and line him up outside Olsen at wide receiver, the Bucs suddenly find themselves with their middle linebacker playing one on one on an island with a player that could play like a true wide receiver.

Now add in the wrinkle of Curtis Samuel. The Panthers ran 14 reverses, end arounds or jet sweeps last season, and all of them went to Ted Ginn, to try and take advantage of his speed and ability in space. Samuel can replicate that role, and bring the extra versatility of being able to line up in the backfield. Samuel averaged 7.9 yards per carry last season on 97 carries for the Buckeyes, with 3.2 of those yards on average coming after contact. He forced 20 missed tackles (one every 4.9 carries) and was a legitimate backfield weapon.

Carolina Ginn

At 5-foot-11 and under 200 pounds, his future in the NFL is at receiver, but he has the speed (4.31 40 time at the combine, faster than Ginn’s 4.37) to replicate Ginn’s big-play threat on these manufactured touches.

With Samuel able to run the speed role that Ginn was used in for the Panthers in the past, the team shouldn’t lose any big-play threat in that regard, and it comes with extra versatility in the backfield in the shape of McCaffrey.

But the key again becomes what the position versatility of those two players allows the Panthers to do from a matchup standpoint. Samuel isn’t just a threat to come in motion and run a trick play or not, he could also suddenly be brought into the backfield, and McCaffrey sent out to line up at wide receiver or in the slot in his place, forcing the defense into a quick re-shuffle or switch in assignments.

Defenses are going to have to decide before the huddle what they are treating Samuel and McCaffrey as when it comes to personnel (likely receiver and running back, respectively), but that puts them in a potential bind from a matchup standpoint because each player is capable of playing the opposite role better than any defender they are going to be matched up with.

With Newton under center, the Panthers already have one of the league’s most unique and versatile offensive weapons. They added two more in the first two rounds of the draft, and now have several months to dream up creative ways of using all three together.

So, do I believe our run game could be equal or far superior to the Falcons? 

Yep.

As I said, this is all potential based, but we could easily have one of the most prolific run games in the NFL, and that's not a good thought for any rival.

1 hour ago, Lornoth said:

Cam Newton isn't a running back mate.

As posters already alluded to, they consider Cam a part of our run game.

Even without him, we still have a darn good runningback group.

Big thing here is potential.  Atlanta is proven, Bucs you know what you'll get.  Saints are a crap shoot depending how AP does and how many touches Kamara gets.  No one has any idea what's to come from Carolina, how they will use the backs and if it will work.  We will wait and see, they could be **** good, they may also fail miserably.  For your sake, let's hope they are running behind the good Khalil and not the one they historically overpaid this offseason.

6 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

**Do not read the following if you do not wish to see any Panther analysis related material**

vader_didnt_read.gif

But allow me to sum up what was likely included: <Imagine a setting similar to an a AA meeting>  Hello, I'm a Carolina Panthers fan. <others say hello back> First, I'd just like to say I would like for Carolina to have a great running game because I'm a homer and well, that's a good enough reason. Maybe even as good as the Falcons. So since I want that to happen, it's going to happen. Thank you everybody.

Knight of God and osiruz like this

7 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

vader_didnt_read.gif

But allow me to sum up what was likely included: <Imagine a setting similar to an a AA meeting>  Hello, I'm a Carolina Panthers fan. <others say hello back> First, I'd just like to say I would like for Carolina to have a great running game because I'm a homer and well, that's a good enough reason. Maybe even as good as the Falcons. So since I want that to happen, it's going to happen. Thank you everybody.

You act like getting a running game as tough as the Falcons is going to be a hard feat with our personnel. Fact is, we had the deadliest run game in 2015 with Fatbert, Stewart, and Cam only. I could argue the Falcons run game was successful in large part of scheme, and it remains to be seen if it can be carried over to next year.

Samuel, Cam, McCaffrey, and Stewart are not going to be easy to defend in the run game. It's not far-fetched to say this group could be better than the Falcons.

11 minutes ago, SamMills51 said:

So, the prospect of the threat of McCaffrey, Stewart, Cam, or Samuel being in the backfield doesn't scare you a bit? The potential for this to be one of the deadliest run games is there, but because it's potential, I still rated it below the Falcons.

Even just our runningbacks alone make this a scary group.

Let me give you a refresher of what you'll be facing.

1. RB Jonathan Stewart

Stewart who still powers through people even at his age, and will finally share his snaps to maximize his effectiveness. If you really think he dropped in play whatsoever, you're pretty delusional. Considering our practice squad players on our o-line forced him to evade defenders before the LoS a lot, he still was effective. By no means is he easy to contain.

giphy.gif

Once again, you see his physicality and toughness everyone has come to know and love. These are games mid to near the end of 2016, so it's pretty hard to say he "regressed."

giphy.gif

GIF

Oh, and he had a real good game against Atlanta, albeit our sloppy loss. 

GIF

So our run game is still pretty dangerous with Stewart in it. When he's healthy, he's a force to contain. He just needs someone to help alleviate some of the carries from him so he can remain that way. Which brings me to my next point...

2. RB Christian McCaffrey

If you think McCaffrey won't last in the NFL, you obviously haven't seen a piece of film on him in your life. Simply put, he's a lot like Brian Westbrook as far as comparisons, but with Le'Veon Bell's patience and LeSean McCoy's running style. He utilizes these characteristics to make plays, and is arguably one of the best between the tackle runningback from this draft class.

Speaking of Le'Veon Bell patience, stuff like this is common when watching McCaffrey's tape, turning no gains into 5-6+ yarders.

GIF

This is very common in McCaffrey's game. In a way, he made Stanford's line better with how he waits for blocks to develop. Like Bell, he waits for that hole to open up with solid pacing and jumps right through it. An intelligent theme in his repertoire.

Again, his elusive nature is what makes him dangerous. He will break defenders ankles and make them miss. He doesn't need power when he has this ability + his patience to gain huge yards.

GIF

apr-06-2017-15-07-33.gif?w=1000

For those of you who still believe McCaffrey just won't be able to break tackles (even though the first GIF shows plenty of examples of that), well you'll be disappointed when you see him power through this.

GIF

apr-06-2017-14-32-48.gif?w=1000

Oh, he also can play slot really well.

GIF

apr-06-2017-14-41-19.gif?w=1000

Complimenting this guy with Stewart's power running style is already a huge wrinkle to add on to our offense. He's already showing elite runningback traits and is an exceptional performer. He's a huge threat in the run game, and he will not be easy to take down either.

3. WR/RB Curtis Samuel

Now now, he will be mainly used as our slot guy instead of a runningback. He's got far more upside as a dominating WR than RB, but that doesn't excuse the fact he's still pretty good and will impact our running game.

While I don't expect Samuel to be a focal runner by any means, that doesn't mean we won't be putting looks of him at RB. I expect to see a bit of plays with McCaffrey and Samuel in the backfield just to give defenders headaches. You see, defenses have to respect the fact this might happen:

GIF

Or this

bucke.0.gif

And this

Curtis-Samuel-outside-run-TD-Oklahoma-GIF.gif

But don't worry, he'll be mainly playing slot WR. So, you'll likely see more of this:

GIF

And this

ezgif-1-6b228c3e0e.gif.0a20b30616adbf91636525f0f0ae6b13.gif

Oh, and he's also an extremely good blocker with a good stiff arm. Now no one will ever be Smitty, but you can't help but wonder if Samuel could be 1/8ths of what Agent 89 was...

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif.f3918c00edfec294aba0c7baed1b6506.gif

GIF

So, once again, Samuel adds a whole new threat to our running game and offense as a whole. He will be scary to defend no matter how you look at it.

And if you count Cam as part of our running game (he is)...

4. QB Cam Newton

Still doing these kinds of plays last season. While I do see him running less, I do not see his running style regressing in any way.

GIF

giphy.gif

How It Applies To The Fact Our Run Game Will Be Deadly

Again, the Panthers had one of the most dangerous run games in 2015 with only Cam, Fatbert (honestly, he was pretty lackluster in 2015 as well), and Stewart. The fact is we now have McCaffrey and Samuel, who will completely change the facet of our run game and offense as a whole.

Oh, and dropping Fatbert for this 250lb beast is all right in my book:

ezgif.com-video-to-gif_(4).gif.40defcc10f8c786bcd508d0c09c63746.gif

PFF provides a decent look at one way we can use McCaffrey and Samuel:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-mccaffrey-samuel-makes-panthers-way-more-versatile/

The Panthers are, by and large, a one-back offense. Over the past two seasons they have had one back on the field in 11 or 12 personnel (one back, one TE, or one back, two TEs) on 81.9 percent of their snaps. The complexity that these versatile weapons gives them is not having both in the backfield at the same time, but in what the team can do from a motion standpoint to create mismatches with the defense.

XsOs

Here the Panthers have already created a mismatch in personnel by splitting TE Greg Olsen out to the left of the formation while the WRs form a bunch formation on the other side. The defense (Tampa Bay in this case) has elected to defend the receivers with their corners and bring the strong safety across to cover Olsen one on one as if he was a corner. This is a mismatch the Panthers exploited for an easy completion and a first down.

Now imagine the running back is Christian McCaffrey, and he is automatically matched up against a linebacker. Even if he is just used out of the backfield that’s a favourable matchup, but if they put him in motion and line him up outside Olsen at wide receiver, the Bucs suddenly find themselves with their middle linebacker playing one on one on an island with a player that could play like a true wide receiver.

Now add in the wrinkle of Curtis Samuel. The Panthers ran 14 reverses, end arounds or jet sweeps last season, and all of them went to Ted Ginn, to try and take advantage of his speed and ability in space. Samuel can replicate that role, and bring the extra versatility of being able to line up in the backfield. Samuel averaged 7.9 yards per carry last season on 97 carries for the Buckeyes, with 3.2 of those yards on average coming after contact. He forced 20 missed tackles (one every 4.9 carries) and was a legitimate backfield weapon.

Carolina Ginn

At 5-foot-11 and under 200 pounds, his future in the NFL is at receiver, but he has the speed (4.31 40 time at the combine, faster than Ginn’s 4.37) to replicate Ginn’s big-play threat on these manufactured touches.

With Samuel able to run the speed role that Ginn was used in for the Panthers in the past, the team shouldn’t lose any big-play threat in that regard, and it comes with extra versatility in the backfield in the shape of McCaffrey.

But the key again becomes what the position versatility of those two players allows the Panthers to do from a matchup standpoint. Samuel isn’t just a threat to come in motion and run a trick play or not, he could also suddenly be brought into the backfield, and McCaffrey sent out to line up at wide receiver or in the slot in his place, forcing the defense into a quick re-shuffle or switch in assignments.

Defenses are going to have to decide before the huddle what they are treating Samuel and McCaffrey as when it comes to personnel (likely receiver and running back, respectively), but that puts them in a potential bind from a matchup standpoint because each player is capable of playing the opposite role better than any defender they are going to be matched up with.

With Newton under center, the Panthers already have one of the league’s most unique and versatile offensive weapons. They added two more in the first two rounds of the draft, and now have several months to dream up creative ways of using all three together.

So, do I believe our run game could be equal or far superior to the Falcons? 

Yep.

As I said, this is all potential based, but we could easily have one of the most prolific run games in the NFL, and that's not a good thought for any rival.

Umm, maybe the problem is you don't understand how prolific our run game was. We gain about 150 more yards and 4 more TDs with 32 less rushes. Falcons were 4th in the league in rush ypa. Falcons were 5th in total rush yards and yards per game. Carolina had twice as many fumbles as the Falcons. Our longest run was almost double Carolina's. All that is while ALSO having an even better ranked passing aattack. If we committed to the run, we'd likely lead the league or be extremely close to it. We were already close while being a more pass heavy team. The Falcons offense in general is in another league than Carolina's. They're better at EVERYTHING. 

Carolina's good, but the Falcons had an all time great offense.  

Shnikies likes this