gazoo

Hard to believe how excited most are about 4th and 5th rounders

102 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, FalconAge said:

We had several games where we allowed teams back by not slowing down the tempo and sustaining clock eating drives with the rush. The Superbowl was only the highest profile one.

Brian Hill's skillset is as a closer, and finishing games is much easier if you give the closest thing we have to a power back steady snaps late in the game and late in the season.

We probably give our top two backs several games to find themselves in Sarks version of our offense, but on the back 9 of the season we see more and more of Hill.

 

That was a playcalling thing. Not a RB thing. I don't think hill will play as much as ppl think. He may get late Game touches if the lead is a blowout but don't expect him to just be in the lineup every game. Coleman can push the pile plenty himself in short yardage. Kyle just chose to throw it a lot. And having a line built in true abs fashion those little 1 yard plays are harder to get anyway when you are used to running sideways. Big misconception that a bigger back is good for one yard. It's STILL dependent on the line some way. Turner used to get stopped for a loss more frequently when the line started fading. 2011 playoffs against NY was a prime example of a heavy back not being able to get one little yard. Penetration by a dline will always stop a big back or any back. Hill is only good for us if the line gives him a crease and freeman can fit thru a small crease better than all of them. Hopefully hill is our close out guy in blowout games but don't expect a lot. Most games our 3rd back was inactive. AND he still has to beat out ward. He ain't goin easlily. 

Tim Mazetti, Vandy, vitaman and 1 other like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gazoo said:

So let's see, only two starters with  PromBowl RB Freeman, Starting FS Ricardo Allen, blossoming starting DT Grady Jarrett who had 3 sacks in the Super Bowl and starting LB Campbell.

Then let's ignore that fact Schweitzer is likely to win starting RG slot this year, Toilolo plays a significant number of snaps and pretend he's just a backup player. Let's pretend Hardy never plays, just backup same as Ish and none of them play special teams. Hey, they are so insignificant all 4 will get cut this camp!

my only question is, are you a troll? You can't be serious 

ok

Gazoo, it's good to see you feisty again!! 

gazoo and Tim Mazetti like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, gazoo said:

So let's see, only two starters with  PromBowl RB Freeman, Starting FS Ricardo Allen, blossoming starting DT Grady Jarrett who had 3 sacks in the Super Bowl and starting LB Campbell.

Then let's ignore that fact Schweitzer is likely to win starting RG slot this year, Toilolo plays a significant number of snaps and pretend he's just a backup player. Let's pretend Hardy never plays, just backup same as Ish and none of them play special teams. Hey, they are so insignificant all 4 will get cut this camp!

my only question is, are you a troll? You can't be serious 

ok

Ricardo Allen and Campbell are depth guys on most teams. 

Schweitzer is a giant ******* question mark.

Toilolo is a depth guy. 

Hardy has 400 yards in his career... averages less than 10 yards per game.

HI MY NAME IS GAZO. ALL HAIL OUR LORD SAVIOR THOMAS DIMITROFF. DRINK THE KOOLAID. PLEASE BUMP MY THREADS SO I DON'T HAVE TO DO IT MYSELF.

Edited by Realist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gazoo said:

I've been thinking about this, the message board is all excited about 4th and 5 round draft picks like I've never seen in my 20 years on this message board. We are all stoked about Kazee, Hill, Saubert and Harlow.

Why? Because our last 4  years drafting we've been getting starters and studs out of late rounds. Freeman, Allen, Jarrett, Hardy, Ishmael, Toilolo, Campbell, Schweitzer.......why wouldn't we be excited now?

But lets go back in time and see what we used to get in 4th, 5th and 6th rounds:

Martriz Milner, Doug Datish, Quinn Ojjinaka, Adam Jennings, DeAndre Cobb,  Chauncey Davis, Frank Omiyale, Chad Lavalias, Ertic Pruitt, John Olingar, LaTarence Dunbar, Wayne Bacon, Kevin MacAdam, Martin Bibla, Michael Thompson, Vinny Sutherland, Daren Stone, Kurt Kittner, Khalil Hill, Marino Philyaw, Anthony Midget, Jhndale Carty, Eugene Baker, Jeff Kelly, Eric Thigpin.....

OUR DRAFTS SUCKED ALMOST THE ENTIRE HISTORY UNTIL TD GOT HERE! WE RARELY EVEN GOT A MEDICORE PLAYER OUT OF THESE ROUNDS LET ALONE A STARTER OR STUD. WEVE BEEN RAKING IT IN THE LAST 4 YEARS.

Do you want to feel better?  Two words:  Ken Herock

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gazoo said:

I've been thinking about this, the message board is all excited about 4th and 5 round draft picks like I've never seen in my 20 years on this message board. We are all stoked about Kazee, Hill, Saubert and Harlow.

Why? Because our last 4  years drafting we've been getting starters and studs out of late rounds. Freeman, Allen, Jarrett, Hardy, Ishmael, Toilolo, Campbell, Schweitzer.......why wouldn't we be excited now?

But lets go back in time and see what we used to get in 4th, 5th and 6th rounds:

Martriz Milner, Doug Datish, Quinn Ojjinaka, Adam Jennings, DeAndre Cobb,  Chauncey Davis, Frank Omiyale, Chad Lavalias, Ertic Pruitt, John Olingar, LaTarence Dunbar, Wayne Bacon, Kevin MacAdam, Martin Bibla, Michael Thompson, Vinny Sutherland, Daren Stone, Kurt Kittner, Khalil Hill, Marino Philyaw, Anthony Midget, Jhndale Carty, Eugene Baker, Jeff Kelly, Eric Thigpin.....

OUR DRAFTS SUCKED ALMOST THE ENTIRE HISTORY UNTIL TD GOT HERE! WE RARELY EVEN GOT A MEDICORE PLAYER OUT OF THESE ROUNDS LET ALONE A STARTER OR STUD. WEVE BEEN RAKING IT IN THE LAST 4 YEARS.

 

The draft is a crapshoot, as that list shows, sometimes you get what you shoot. With out be besmirching the previous staff or TD too much, I believe Quinn has a fantastic innate ability to convey what wants in a player to TD. and then coach up that player getting the maximum out of them. Obviously don't know that, but it **** sure seems that way. This season will be a huge test though, they ain't sneaking up on anybody, Super hangover etc. etc. I can not wait for the season to get here. Got**** Super Bowl or Bust.

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, etherdome said:

Do you want to feel better?  Two words:  Ken Herock

Oh man, I met him and Ron Hill at camp one time. I recall Ron Hill telling me at camp how much he liked Wayne Bacon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Herr Doktor said:

Gazoo, it's good to see you feisty again!! 

Man, when I encounter trolls I can't help but smack them down. They are useless parasites just sucking the oxygen out of the air for others!!

dirtyhairy likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 9:14 PM, gazoo said:

I've been thinking about this, the message board is all excited about 4th and 5 round draft picks like I've never seen in my 20 years on this message board. We are all stoked about Kazee, Hill, Saubert and Harlow.

Why? Because our last 4  years drafting we've been getting starters and studs out of late rounds. Freeman, Allen, Jarrett, Hardy, Ishmael, Toilolo, Campbell, Schweitzer.......why wouldn't we be excited now?

But lets go back in time and see what we used to get in 4th, 5th and 6th rounds:

Martriz Milner, Doug Datish, Quinn Ojjinaka, Adam Jennings, DeAndre Cobb,  Chauncey Davis, Frank Omiyale, Chad Lavalias, Ertic Pruitt, John Olingar, LaTarence Dunbar, Wayne Bacon, Kevin MacAdam, Martin Bibla, Michael Thompson, Vinny Sutherland, Daren Stone, Kurt Kittner, Khalil Hill, Marino Philyaw, Anthony Midget, Jhndale Carty, Eugene Baker, Jeff Kelly, Eric Thigpin.....

OUR DRAFTS SUCKED ALMOST THE ENTIRE HISTORY UNTIL TD GOT HERE! WE RARELY EVEN GOT A MEDICORE PLAYER OUT OF THESE ROUNDS LET ALONE A STARTER OR STUD. WEVE BEEN RAKING IT IN THE LAST 4 YEARS.

I think what you mean is our draft sucked until DQ and Pioli got here....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Falcon mama said:

I think what you mean is our draft sucked until DQ and Pioli got here....

I was with you until you said "I think"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 8:14 PM, gazoo said:

Chad Lavalias

It's really bizarre that you mention all these guys, because for some unknown reason Chad came into my mind the other day like a bad song you get stuck in your head.  This was before I saw your post.  Yeah, he sucked too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 8:14 PM, gazoo said:

Chad Lavalias

It's really bizarre that you mention all these guys, because for some unknown reason Chad came into my mind the other day like a bad song you get stuck in your head.  This was before I saw your post.  Yeah, he sucked too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Realist said:

Ricardo Allen and Campbell are depth guys on most teams. 

Schweitzer is a giant ******* question mark.

Toilolo is a depth guy. 

Hardy has 400 yards in his career... averages less than 10 yards per game.

HI MY NAME IS GAZO. ALL HAIL OUR LORD SAVIOR THOMAS DIMITROFF. DRINK THE KOOLAID. PLEASE BUMP MY THREADS SO I DON'T HAVE TO DO IT MYSELF.

So, you bump his thread to complain about his thread being bumped?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, falconidae said:

So, you bump his thread to complain about his thread being bumped?

 

No, I was replying to him. I was making fun of the fact Gazo likes to bump his own threads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Realist said:

No, I was replying to him. I was making fun of the fact Gazo likes to bump his own threads.

Let you in on a little secret, if you really want to get under his skin, ignore him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 10:01 PM, FalconAge said:

Brian Hill is gonna get his snaps in the postseason regardless of those guys' health.

He is the one guy we have built to find a small crease and fall foreward through contact ....well, other that Poe lol.

I disagree with that, although I know what you mean and why you say that. Freeman is built to squeeze through small creases, and from what I've seen so far, Freeman has better vision and acdeleration, but a bit less power due to his size. I think what you may have meant was that he is the only back built for the Hard Yard. I do agree that he is the closest thing to a power back that we have, or can have in a ZBS really. 235-250 pd power backs aren't good choices for the small windows and creases that the blocking scheme creates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, falconidae said:

Let you in on a little secret, if you really want to get under his skin, ignore him.

let you in on a little secret, stfu.

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gazoo said:

Oh man, I met him and Ron Hill at camp one time. I recall Ron Hill telling me at camp how much he liked Wayne Bacon!

Everyone likes Bacon.  

Seriously though, we are so far from those lousy days.  It's not just Dimitroff or Pioli.  It's the unique situation that we have talented personnel men that get to work with a Head Coach that has a clear vision of what he wants.  

After closely following the Falcons for over 40 years, I can tell you that this is a rare circumstance.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gazoo said:

So let's see, only two starters with  Pro Bowl RB Freeman, Starting FS Ricardo Allen, blossoming starting DT Grady Jarrett who had 3 sacks in the Super Bowl and emerging starting LB Campbell.

Then let's ignore that fact Schweitzer is likely to win starting RG slot this year, Toilolo plays a significant number of snaps and pretend he's just a backup player. Let's pretend Hardy never plays, just backup same as Ish and none of them play special teams. Hey, they are so insignificant all 4 will get cut this camp!

my only question is, are you a troll? You can't be serious 

ok

^^^^^^ This ... he's got to be a troll or very uneducated about Football. 

gazoo likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, falconidae said:

 

And how many times has one of them not been available last couple of years?

Was just going to post that. One of the things that Quinn does is everybody who is active gets snaps- one reason that Ryan was able to throw to so many different receivers. 

Let the 3 headed hydra emerge.

#TheHydra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:17 PM, youngbloodz said:

Not everyone. I'm taking a wait and see attitude. I trust what TD and Quinn has done. I give them the benefit of the doubt

I'm in your camp. I like our 4th and 5th round picks, but i'm not ready to anoint them as the next starters. Hope so. That said, I like the skill sets of all of them and the picks were logical.
The two that I'm the most excited about are Kazee and Saubert. Both are two positions that regularly come from those later rounds if they are athletic, talented but raw. Harlow is a nice pick and Gs often come from mid to late rounds, but sometimes it takes many years for them to crack the starting lineup. Wes probably has the edge over Harlow at this point.

Hill might barely be used. But we'll see

youngbloodz likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gazoo said:

I was with you until you said "I think"

Oh ok...I knew you meant our drafts sucked until DQ and SP got here...they  tell TD who to draft thank god and he does a great job of listening. That's a great trio......glad AB didn't fire TD. The three are doing a excellent job....it's been a long dry spell lol

Tim Mazetti likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheRisen999 said:

^^^^^^ This ... he's got to be a troll or very uneducated about Football. 

And now, inexplicably, he started another thread saying our RB position is best in NFCS because we have both Freeman and Coleman. I agree wi him, but that directly conflicts with his suggestion Toilolo is merely an insignificant backup therefore we can't suggest he was a great pick.

4th round pick Toilolo played 703 snaps last year, 3rd round pick Coleman played 342 snaps.  Somehow he thinks Toilolo was virtually a useless pick but praises Colemans value.

The fact is, for value, Toilolo was the better pick although he does grunt work that allows players like Freeman and Coleman to thrive. Toilolo may be the best blocking TE in the NFL and so many long runs of Freeman's and Colemans were busted open by Toilolos outstanding blocking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Falcon mama said:

I think what you mean is our draft sucked until DQ and Pioli got here....

If our drafts Sucked before DQ and Pioli got here, HOW DID WE HAVE ALL THOSE BACK TO BACK WINING SEASONS? We drafted a hall of fame QB, WR, all pro corner back and Alford could be on that stage as well. TD and smitty brought in a hall of fame tight end, a pro bowl RB named Turner, who hadn't previously been to the pro bowl, and took 2 unknown lineman and made them the meanest toughest SOBs in the NFL. With all that suck, how did we manage the best run in Franchise history? 

gazoo and Tim Mazetti like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now