Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Competition at FS Brian Poole

15 posts in this topic

Last off-season Poole was tried at both safety and nickel, but with the looming suspension of Jalen Collins, he was needed more at nickel. Fast forward to this off-season, we drafted another corner in Damontae Kazee, who himself was quoted as saying... 

“I see myself working in the slot,” Kazee said. “During the Senior Bowl practices, I played the corner in nickel. I feel great at the nickel spot. There’s not a lot of pressure there. I think nickel is going to be my spot in the NFL.”

Poole played some FS in college and I think he would be the better choice at competing with Allen and leaving Kazee at corner.

“We’ve had him at nickel and we’ve played him at safety as well,” Quinn said on Tuesday. “He’s done a nice job in the zone. We are going to keep forcing it on to see where he can get to.”

Poole played outside early in his career at Florida. He played nickel and safety last season for the Gators.

“When we did the evaluation on him, we thought that (nickel) would be the best spot with him being a smaller and quicker guy,” Quinn said.

If he were taller and a stronger tackler, I could easily see a transition to safety considering his instincts and ability to read quarterbacks and route progressions. While a team could try him there, my guess is that he will have to make it as a slot corner. His speed and quickness numbers at his workout will be extremely important for him. -Lance Zierlein

Brian Poole sat this weekend with his family and friends, waiting for the call to come.

The call never came, at least during the seven rounds of the NFL draft, and Poole could not hide his disappointment.

But things began to pick up shortly after the draft. He received calls from numerous NFL teams wanting to sign to a free-agent contract.

This time, the choice was easy, and Poole signed with the Atlanta Falcons after fielding calls from Arizona, Pittsburgh and Los Angeles.

Falcons head coach Dan Quinn had recruited Poole to Florida, was his defensive coordinator there, and Quinn knows all about the versatile defensive back, who can play corner, nickel and safety.

"I knew they were interested in me before the draft, and I felt most comfortable there because of their scheme and coach Quinn," Poole said. "He called me and told me he wanted me to be a part of the Falcons organization.

They see me as a DB and are going to play me at corner and safety and special teams."

While Poole is perplexed about why he wasn't drafted, he is determined it to use it as motivation.

"I have no message to send the other teams, but they are going to see. I am definitely going to use this as motivation. I have no idea what happened," Poole said.

Poole was a five-star recruit out of Southeast, where he doubled as a safety, cornerback and running back and was rated as high as the 25th best high school defensive back in the country.

Falcster likes this

46 minutes ago, Truth B Told (TRU) said:

Yes 3 safeties 

With our linebackers why would you employ a three safeties look.  The Saints went that route because their LB's sucked, for the most part. 

Cole World and Knight of God like this

26 minutes ago, citsalp said:

Depth chart and positional grouping mean nothing in May, plus DQ moves people all over the place to begin with...

I know. I'm not the one who posted the link

citsalp likes this

3 hours ago, Truth B Told (TRU) said:

Yes 3 safeties 

No. Not three safeties...

I don't care what kind of b.s. rumors Tony Pauline is trying to stir up. We don't run a three safety scheme, and aren't going to. It makes no sense. We pull a SAM LB and replace him with a nickel back -- who was Poole last season. If you want to label Poole a safety and mistakenly call that a three safety look, then sure, I guess.

The only difference between a regular nickel and what is known as the Big Nickel is where a big safety is in instead of a normal nickel back. You primarily run a Big Nickel if you have bad coverage linebackers and want to make a compromise between the poor coverage of your base defense and the poor run stopping of your nickel defense. We don't have that problem of poor coverage linebackers, which is why it's beyond stupid to even entertain the idea of us running a Big Nickel. 

And it's not like Poole at 209 pounds last season was a small nickel back.

So again, no. Not three safety looks.

21 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

No. Not three safeties...

I don't care what kind of b.s. rumors Tony Pauline is trying to stir up. We don't run a three safety scheme, and aren't going to. It makes no sense. We pull a SAM LB and replace him with a nickel back -- who was Poole last season. If you want to label Poole a safety and mistakenly call that a three safety look, then sure, I guess.

The only difference between a regular nickel and what is known as the Big Nickel is where a big safety is in instead of a normal nickel back. You primarily run a Big Nickel if you have bad coverage linebackers and want to make a compromise between the poor coverage of your base defense and the poor run stopping of your nickel defense. We don't have that problem of poor coverage linebackers, which is why it's beyond stupid to even entertain the idea of us running a Big Nickel. 

So again, no. Not three safety looks.

I said the same thing, you just said it better.:tiphat:

Knight of God and RandomFan like this

7 hours ago, Truth B Told (TRU) said:

But yet when you click on his name it says CB

At the draft they tell you what position they seem him as. Like Harlow is a OT but they see him as a G so they say announce him as a G

7 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Spot on. Especially when our FS is listed at 186 on the official page. Jalen Collins looks quite big compared to a traditional outside corners and he is listed at 203. And there sits Poole at 209 :D

Knight of God likes this

4 hours ago, runshoot said:

Spot on. Especially when our FS is listed at 186 on the official page. Jalen Collins looks quite big compared to a traditional outside corners and he is listed at 203. And there sits Poole at 209 :D

Poole to safety then? He's  seems big enough. He hits 

falconsrus and Knight of God like this