Jump to content

The Falcoholic Projects Saubert to be worked into passing game over Perkins


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, gazoo said:

This is pretty much what I anticipated and am in complete agreement with the Falcoholic. He also projects we will use TEs more in passing game this year than last year.

 We needed to draft a TE who could get downfield in passing game for Sarks tendency to  use his TEs  flexed out way more than even Shanny used them. We needed to draft one that had some strong upside to compete with undrafted developmental projects Perkins and Tailavia. 

Saubert fits the bill with 2nd most receiving yards and TDs for TEs per game in the country last year. That's very strong production in passing game.

He has good speed at 4.65, but what separates him from he pack is he has outstanding burst out of his cuts and runs precise routes. For being 6'5" and 253lbs the dude runs like a WR.

Matt Ryan is going to love  this guy by year 2 but this year Saubert will spend most of it steep in the learning curve. If he catches on quickly getting 10 or 15 reception throughout the regular season, and he is very intelligent, he may really help us come playoffs.

 

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/5/7/15567008/how-will-the-falcons-divvy-up-passing-game-targets-in-2017-julio-jones-taylor-gabriel-austin-hooper

This due can catch. If you watch him, he catches with his hands away from the body then pulls it in. A lot of others catch the ball with their body. He doesn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

55 minutes ago, rudy said:

This due can catch. If you watch him, he catches with his hands away from the body then pulls it in. A lot of others catch the ball with their body. He doesn't.

He makes some unbelievable circus catches and has long arms and big hands.....excellent for grabbing ball at high point.

I do expect him to drop some easy  passes this year as his head spins trying to learn.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's keep in mind the Falcoholic is a fan website, just like this AFMB is. The only person over there that has any more knowledge than the some fans here is Jeanna Thomas, since she actually has press credentials and is frequently at Flowery Branch and at Falcons games getting to talk to players and coaches. I don't mean this in a bad way at all, but everyone else that writes there is just a well informed fan, not someone with behind the scenes in-the-know information. The point is, while it is a great website don't put any more stock in their predictions than you would any other fan website.

I hope Saubert turns into a monster for us eventually, but I suspect his rookie season is going to be more of a redshirt year. I'm curious to see how much weight Perkins is going to be able to add this offseason, and how much his blocking improves from his rookie year.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UK13 said:

I realize he may not had been asked to block but jeez the all star game highlights are terrible , he got pushed around like a kid ....  I can't really see him being effective as a H back 

If you notice in the all star game coach kept lining him up on the LOS next to OT.   Even the game announcer said " line him up outside"

Sark likes to flex his TEs out wide and send them downfield. This is the strength of Saubert. Any limited playing time he gets I expect him to be flexed out wide.

I have to keep repeating this because I know how this board is,  but I only see Saubert getting 10-15 catches this year and most likely closer to 10.  He will spend most of the season in a very steep learning curve and he will struggle mightily at times probably dropping a couple of easy passes as his head is swimming in confusion.

Hooper last year looked like a fish out of water early in the season, totally overwhelmed at times. After Tamme went down Hooper still only ended up with 19 catches but he did start to come on late in season.

I not only predict Saubert to have 10- 15 catches, imalso,predict if he has 10-15 catches some on here will claim i was wrong about Saubert because I claimed he was going to tear it up and he only had 10 catches

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gazoo said:

If you notice in the all star game coach kept lining him up on the LOS next to OT.   Even the game announcer said " line him up outside"

Sark likes to flex his TEs out wide and send them downfield. This is the strength of Saubert. Any limited playing time he gets I expect him to be flexed out wide.

I have to keep repeating this because I know how this board is,  but I only see Saubert getting 10-15 catches this year and most likely closer to 10.  He will spend most of the season in a very steep learning curve and he will struggle mightily at times probably dropping a couple of easy passes as his head is swimming in confusion.

Hooper last year looked like a fish out of water early in the season, totally overwhelmed at times. After Tamme went down Hooper still only ended up with 19 catches but he did start to come on late in season.

I not only predict Saubert to have 10- 15 catches, imalso,predict if he has 10-15 catches some on here will claim i was wrong about Saubert because I claimed he was going to tear it up and he only had 10 catches

 

I'm not rooting against the guy , and I'm probably wrong but i just dont have a lot confidence in him .... who knows he might be the next great one , never can tell

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, UK13 said:

I'm not rooting against the guy , and I'm probably wrong but i just dont have a lot confidence in him .... who knows he might be the next great one , never can tell

I totally understand your position.

The likelihood of a 5th rounder sticking around for 3 years is 20%. His odds are not good and I know that.

I simply love he developmental side of the equation and trying to figure out where his skill set would translate in our offensive scheme. To me this is a fun part of following the Falcons, following the young developmental guys.

While there is nothing wrong with fans who don't get excited about players until they prove themselves,, I do get excited about late round draft picks who's skill sets look like they could help us at some point down the road.

 In other words, I'm not excited about what he will do, I'm excited about what he might do his second season. As a fifth round pick is up against very difficult odds.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, CellarBoor said:

His East-West shrine game tape makes me think he will barely see the field this season. I'm rooting for a quick development but he needs a ton of work.

Edit: @youngbloodz he cannot block worth a ****, one of the worst I've seen. There is no way we will use him in that role to start off.

 

Boy you're not kidding.. his blocking is turrible. He looks like an UFA in this game which I know is unfair because it's an all star game, but still.. Dude will really have to bulk up as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I totally understand your position.

The likelihood of a 5th rounder sticking around for 3 years is 20%. His odds are not good and I know that.

I simply love he developmental side of the equation and trying to figure out where his skill set would translate in our offensive scheme. To me this is a fun part of following the Falcons, following the young developmental guys.

While there is nothing wrong with fans who don't get excited about players until they prove themselves,, I do get excited about late round draft picks who's skill sets look like they could help us at some point down the road.

 In other words, I'm not excited about what he will do, I'm excited about what he might do his second season. As a fifth round pick is up against very difficult odds.

 

That's weird, I get excited about every pick these days.  They seem to have that secret sauce in recent years.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

That's weird, I get excited about every pick these days.  They seem to have that secret sauce in recent years.  

Some only get excited about production which is fine and no problem.

That said, when someone who only get excited es about production reads our posts where we are excited about a players potential within our scheme and we enjoy penciling in where he might fit best, others mistinterpret our comments as actual production projections. 

I assure you I am not excited about the production of 10-15 catches I predicted for Saubert. I'm excited already about where he'll line up and how he will be utilized. It is not even probable he'll make it past his first year as a 5th rounder. I'll let others worry about his chances.

After the season I guaranty you some will attack me if Saubert only gets 10 catches saying I was wrong about him implying I suggestaed he was going to beast out this year.....you can bank on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Some only get excited about production which is fine and no problem.

That said, when someone who only get excited es about production reads our posts where we are excited about a players potential within our scheme and we enjoy penciling in where he might fit best, others mistinterpret our comments as actual production projections. 

I assure you I am not excited about the production of 10-15 catches I predicted for Saubert. I'm excited already about where he'll line up and how he will be utilized.

After the season I guaranty you some will attack me if Saubert only gets 10 catches saying I was wrong about him.....you can bank on it.

We'll God forbid they call you a HOMER!!!

LMAO!!!  We must keep reminding one another this is nothing but a forum.  But with that said there are some genuine agitating girls her though!  

OMG he called me a homer:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gazoo said:

I totally understand your position.

The likelihood of a 5th rounder sticking around for 3 years is 20%. His odds are not good and I know that.

I simply love he developmental side of the equation and trying to figure out where his skill set would translate in our offensive scheme. To me this is a fun part of following the Falcons, following the young developmental guys.

While there is nothing wrong with fans who don't get excited about players until they prove themselves,, I do get excited about late round draft picks who's skill sets look like they could help us at some point down the road.

 In other words, I'm not excited about what he will do, I'm excited about what he might do his second season. As a fifth round pick is up against very difficult odds.

 

Unless that player's name is Joshua Perkins, right? :lol:

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Unless that player's name is Joshua Perkins, right? :lol:

 

 

Not at all. I said I hope Perkins makes the team and is able to produce for us.  In fact, I'm certain he will not only make the team but may even play in some games this year. I simply think he has a lower ceiling than Saubert so I think Saubert will eventually pass him. 

Do you think Perkins has more upside than Saubert?

But again, Saubert is a 5th round draft pick which means the odds are he isn't even here in a couple of years. I'm simply excited about his potential at this point given his skill set.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Not at all. I said I hope Perkins makes the team and is able to produce for us.  In fact, I'm certain he will not only make the team but may even play in some games this year. I simply think he has a lower ceiling than Saubert so I think Saubert will eventually pass him. 

Do you think Perkins has more upside than Saubert?

But again, Saubert is a 5th round draft pick which means the odds are he isn't even here in a couple of years. I'm simply excited about his potential at this point given his skill set.

What, you being right about us drafting a move TE who can't block? He'll fight you to the death on that one, gazoo....:rolleyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vandy said:

, What, you being right about us drafting a move TE who can't block? He'll fight you to the death on that one, gazoo....:rolleyes:

RandomFan won't do that as he is an intellectually honest poster, but Clark Kent assailed me after the draft for being wrong about me predicting we would draft a replacement for Tamme, a receiving  TE who we could flex out wide and send on mid to deep routes, most likely in the 5th or 6th rounds who would run in the 4.5s to low 4.6s. It was one of the more bizarre, misguided rants I've seen directed at me in some time.

I actually nailed it with exception he runs a 4.65 instead of low 4.6.

Some posters around here are completely insane! I would expect Clark Kent to lead the charge about halfway through the season if Saubert hasn't Played yet how wrong I was about something else :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gazoo said:

RandomFan won't do that as he is an intellectually honest poster, but Clark Kent assailed me after the draft for being wrong about me predicting we would draft a replacement for Tamme, a receiving  TE, most likely in the 5th or 6th rounds who would run in the 4.5s to low 4.6s. 

I could hardly believe he was saying that becuae I stated we could use a higher draft pick than 5, that i was wrong when I said we would draft a receiving TE to replace Tamme , most likely in the 5th or 6th round.  Some posters around here are completely insane! I would expect Clark Kent to lead the charge about halfway through the season if Saubert hasn't Played yet how wrong I was about something else :lol:

Not with me he's not, at all.

It's offseason man, just a few months after pizzing away the super bowl... truth to tell we're probably all getting on each other's nerves with that still hanging over us....

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love what they did late in the draft.  Two of the guys we selected can put serious heat on existing players and potentially turn into diamonds. 

Kazee pushing Rico or even in the slot, & Saubert pushing Perkins at TE.

Before the TE pick, I was actually looking forward to seeing Perkins working the seams...

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I love what they did late in the draft.  Two of the guys we selected can put serious heat on existing players and potentially turn into diamonds. 

Kazee pushing Rico or even in the slot, & Saubert pushing Perkins at TE.

Before the TE pick, I was actually looking forward to seeing Perkins working the seams...

Perkins will be in a much better spot to get some reps early in the season while Saubert hones his craft but I still think Saubert has far more upside than Perkins because Saubert runs like a WR in a TEs body at 6'5" and 253lbs. He has a really good separtion out of his breaks which is something that should really help him in our scheme.

Link to post
Share on other sites

He can definitely get up the up the fleld it presents an imposing Target but I'm a little cautious, Drake??? he doesn't block well and on some sites they call him athletic but stone hands anyway I think he'll be a plus maybe It will just take a while  but with that size and speed he could turn into something very special!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gold4425 said:

He can definitely get up the up the fleld it presents an imposing Target but I'm a little cautious, Drake??? he doesn't block well and on some sites they call him athletic but stone hands anyway I think he'll be a plus maybe It will just take a while  but with that size and speed he could turn into something very special!

I saw those reports and saw lots of film on him Gold. Its true he drops some easy balls at times. Its also true he makes some incredible circus catches.

He was #2 in the nation, in all of college football, for receiving yards and TD catches per game for all TEs in the country.  

You don't rack up those highly impressive numbers if you cant catch a football. Thus, we know he can catch a football.

When it comes to drops, Roddy White, Julio, and many other players we drafted dropped balls but seemed to catch enough to make up for them which I suspect will be the same case for Saubert.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...