gazoo

The Falcoholic Projects Saubert to be worked into passing game over Perkins

73 posts in this topic

This is pretty much what I anticipated and am in complete agreement with the Falcoholic. He also projects we will use TEs more in passing game this year than last year.

We needed to draft a TE who could get downfield in passing game for Sarks tendency to  use his TEs  flexed out way more than even Shanny used them. We needed to draft one that had some strong upside to compete with undrafted developmental projects Perkins and Tailavia. 

Saubert fits the bill with 2nd most receiving yards and TDs for TEs per game in the country last year. That's very strong production in passing game.

He has good speed at 4.65, but what separates him from he pack is he has outstanding burst out of his cuts and runs precise routes. For being 6'5" and 253lbs the dude runs like a WR.

Matt Ryan is going to love  this guy by year 2 but this year Saubert will spend most of it steep in the learning curve. If he catches on quickly getting 10 or 15 reception throughout the regular season, and he is very intelligent, he may really help us come playoffs.

http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2017/5/7/15567008/how-will-the-falcons-divvy-up-passing-game-targets-in-2017-julio-jones-taylor-gabriel-austin-hooper

Posted (edited)

@gazoo, this tells me Sarkasian believes in Saubert and was fundamental in his acquisition. This also tells me Saubert , Hoop will be main targets, whereas Toi will be an excellent outlet option but primarily he and Perkins will be blockers. Saubert wasn't a knee jerk pick. I got start watching tape on this kid. 

Edited by BIRDLAND 2.0

20 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

@gazoo, this tells me Sarkasian believes in Saubert and was fundamental in his acquisition. This also tells me Saubert , Hoop will be main targets, whereas Toi will be an excellent outlet option but primarily he and Perkins will be blockers. Saubert wasn't a knee jerk pick. I got start watching tape on this kid. 

We have to see how camp shakes out and how Saubert adapts to new offense, but at this point I have no doubt we drafted Saubert exactly as a perfect fit for Sarks play calling tendencies.

again , we ran split wide TE sets last year but Sark uses them more than Shanny did. 

Saibert does run like a receiver which is amazing for how big he is

Saubert fills Perkins role and is a more talented player than Perkins so I would be very surprised if he doesn't see the field a decent bit next year. We will see how many 3 TE sets we use with Sark though.

gazoo likes this

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, gazoo said:

We have to see how camp shakes out and how Saubert adapts to new offense, but at this point I have no doubt we drafted Saubert exactly as a perfect fit for Sarks play calling tendencies.

again , we ran split wide TE sets last year but Sark uses them more than Shanny did. 

Saibert does run like a receiver which is amazing for how big he is

I had TE Adam Shaheen in my mock, he went to Chicago. Falcoholic brings up good point in that Sarkasian will be more balanced, so I see target #s drop for guys after JJ, Sanu and Hoop. I really hope Birds average 120-150 RYPG, especially with Brian Hill. Overall, I see the offense being even harder to defend with more 2 TE sets and runs.

Edited by BIRDLAND 2.0
Tim Mazetti and gazoo like this

9 minutes ago, Colin_Pernett said:

Saubert fills Perkins role and is a more talented player than Perkins so I would be very surprised if he doesn't see the field a decent bit next year. We will see how many 3 TE sets we use with Sark though.

I'm not clear on how many 3 TE sets we will see vs last year but I am as far as us sending them downfield more to split seams and cause matchup problems.

Suabert also tricks defenses using  his TEs as decoys and moving around on screens and other types of plays. I see Gabriel running more screens, he's really good on screens.

Vandy likes this

Posted (edited)

His East-West shrine game tape makes me think he will barely see the field this season. I'm rooting for a quick development but he needs a ton of work.

Edit: @youngbloodz he cannot block worth a ****, one of the worst I've seen. There is no way we will use him in that role to start off.

Edited by CellarBoor
gazoo, RandomFan, Yo_Lover and 2 others like this

17 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Training camp is where the depth chart will be figured out. Can either of them block is my question

Saubert can't block any better than Tamme could. Perkins is 30 lbs lighter and 2" shorter than Saubert with shorter arms and smaller hands.

I'm not sure if Saubert can get a lot better, he wasn't asked to block a lot in college, and when he was it wasn't pretty! Saubert was really used as a receiver in college which is why he had such great production in passing game.

Hooper can block, and Toilolo may be the best blocking TE in NFL, so against certain teams or where we are running more I don't think we'll see much of Saubert. Against teams that have slow linebackers and small/slow  safeties with limited range we may see more of the 6'5" 253lb Saubert running mid to deep routes and busting the seams.

youngbloodz likes this

6 minutes ago, CellarBoor said:

His East-West shrine game tape makes me think he will barely see the field this season. I'm rooting for a quick development but he needs a ton of work.

Edit: @youngbloodz he cannot block worth a ****, one of the worst I've seen. There is no way we will use him in that role to start off.

Yeah, it's pretty ugly. Thing is, he may have potential to block but he just wasnt asked to block a lot in college and when he did.....you see the results. He is big, strong, has long arms and big strong hands so we'll see if coaches can get anywhere with him in blocking.

We have two very good blockers in Toilolo and Hooper already so we are set against teams we want to run more on with 2 TE sets. Saubert is more of another giant receiver on the filed at this point. His separation and route running are very good.

Im predicting Saubert will get very limited snaps throughout the season against certain opponents and maybe finish season with 10-15 catches. A lot to learn but he scored 35 on the wonderlic so he might be bale to pick up the playbook a little quicker than some could. 

CellarBoor likes this

Posted (edited)

28 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Training camp is where the depth chart will be figured out. Can either of them block is my question

Neither of them probably can. There doesn't seem to be many college programs that implement pro-style offenses, so TEs that can block and catch well will be very rare. That being said, just going by potential I would give the nod to Saubert because he's considerably larger but still moves well.

Edited by JerseyNo12

Just now, JerseyNo12 said:

Neither of them probably can. There doesn't seem to be many programs that implement pro-style offenses, so TEs that can block and catch well will be very rare. That being said, just going by potential I would give the nod to Saubert because he's considerably larger but still moves well.

Saubert runs like a giant receiver......this is what makes him s frekaing dangerous to defenses...... being that big, that fast, with that kind of separation. He catches ball at high point and can jump too.......Matty Ice is going to love him by next season. 

16 minutes ago, JerseyNo12 said:

Neither of them probably can. There doesn't seem to be many college programs that implement pro-style offenses, so TEs that can block and catch well will be very rare. That being said, just going by potential I would give the nod to Saubert because he's considerably larger but still moves well.

Until they get into an NFL training camp nobody knows how the player will adjust. The player that shows up in training camp and preseason will get the nod. I personally dont care who it is cause i dont expect anything out of either this season 

RandomFan, Vandy and Clark Kent™ like this

32 minutes ago, CellarBoor said:

Well good thing we have Hoop and Lolo so we can let him develop 

CellarBoor and gazoo like this

32 minutes ago, gazoo said:

Saubert can't block any better than Tamme could. Perkins is 30 lbs lighter and 2" shorter than Saubert with shorter arms and smaller hands.

I'm not sure if Saubert can get a lot better, he wasn't asked to block a lot in college, and when he was it wasn't pretty! Saubert was really used as a receiver in college which is why he had such great production in passing game.

Hooper can block, and Toilolo may be the best blocking TE in NFL, so against certain teams or where we are running more I don't think we'll see much of Saubert. Against teams that have slow linebackers and small/slow  safeties with limited range we may see more of the 6'5" 253lb Saubert running mid to deep routes and busting the seams.

I guess time will tell. Like i said i don't expect much from Perkins or Saubert this year anyway

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

I guess time will tell. Like i said i don't expect much from Perkins or Saubert this year anyway

I don't expect much from Saubert either, maybe 10-15 catches max, but I will be watxhing his development as season goes on

youngbloodz likes this

2 hours ago, gazoo said:

This is where sound coaching takes place. Tony Gonzales had to work on his blocking and he improved as evidenced in his last couple years with Atlanta. Saubert would not have been picked if he did not have either solid hands, crisp routes, solid blocking, QB read/feel. 

gazoo likes this

I would have bet prior to the draft that we would not keep a FB and keep an extra TE.  The extra TE being used as an H back.  Not sure if Saubert can do that because we need someone who can block at the H back.  Now I'm thinking we keep a FB, but it really feels like a wasted roster space as he probably will only see the field 6 or 7 times a game.  Maybe Lolo will be our H back???  We need him on the line as a traditional TE.  I dunno, but I'm sure that the coaching staff has it all planned out already.

29 minutes ago, gazoo said:

I don't expect much from Saubert either, maybe 10-15 catches max, but I will be watxhing his development as season goes on

Yeah his development will be key. Come in his 2nd year and ball out

35 minutes ago, schwarzenegger321 said:

I would have bet prior to the draft that we would not keep a FB and keep an extra TE.  The extra TE being used as an H back.  Not sure if Saubert can do that because we need someone who can block at the H back.  Now I'm thinking we keep a FB, but it really feels like a wasted roster space as he probably will only see the field 6 or 7 times a game.  Maybe Lolo will be our H back???  We need him on the line as a traditional TE.  I dunno, but I'm sure that the coaching staff has it all planned out already.

I do think Toilolo will be utilized is the H Back. He's very good in space blocking for the run game. Not sure how he'd do in pass protection off the line as opposed to on it hwere he is outstanding and even played LT for us one game.....he's that good.

Sark likes to move his TEs around, H-Back or on line, confuse defenses with 2 TEs on field in different places, especially in the screen game.

Lol told you before Hoop is a good TE and better than people think. Not much speed difference. Hoop can get down field good enough. Told you we wouldn't draft anyone and if we did would be late in the draft.

18 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Yeah his development will be key. Come in his 2nd year and ball out

I expect Hoopers play to take a big leap going into year 2 for him. He had 19 catches last year, he'll at least double that but I'm thinking closer to 50 catches.  He was already doing a great job toward las part of the season in both blocking and receiving.

Saubert really complements Hoopers game. They are both very big, tall, strong guys that catch the ball at high point, but Hooper isn't going to create a lot of separation, he outmuscles and boxes defenders out so he's better for short and intermediate game.

Saubert on the other hand can put a move on a linebacker or safety and get open for the deep ball and has enough speed to take it the distance. Saubert is going to require defenses to defend the backside where Hooper is going to eat you alive underneath and mid field. 

14 minutes ago, xSICKxWITHxITx said:

Lol told you before Hoop is a good TE and better than people think. Not much speed difference. Hoop can get down field good enough. Told you we wouldn't draft anyone and if we did would be late in the draft.

I don't think anyone here believes Hooper isn't good and I've not seen anyone underestimating him.

I think Hooper is going to break out this year and I already love him.

Tha said, Hooper and Saubert are different players with different skill sets. Together I think they complement each other.

i told you we absolutely would draft a TE, and I said most likely it would be in 5th or 6th round, and we did. 

He said Saubert would get about 10 catches, didn't say anything about Perkins. He may have simply forgotten about Perkins, certainly didn't say Saubert would get worked in before Perkins.

Don't see how projecting around ten catches is any kind of ringing endorsement of Saubert.