Carter

Spring/Summer 2017 UGA Recruiting Thread

1,181 posts in this topic

Well another month is here and May seems to be turning some momentum for the Dawgs out on the recruiting trail. With a commitment from perhaps the top instate corner, Chris Smith, we should be feeling a little more optimistic heading into the summer. Everyone seems to expect that he will be a consensus 4* before long, so those of you who might be a little ho hum about the 3* rating should feel a bit better about him.

Zamir White is still considered a very strong UGA lean and still expected to make his announcement in late June. Things are also warming up a little with Salyer and Hill, who should both be considered strong UGA leans imo.

One of the more interesting things I've read recently was an interview Rivals did with 5* DE/OLB KJ Henry. He had very good things to say about UGA, said it felt like home and he likes it more every time he visits. Henry said his family likes UGA a lot and loves Kirby. While being careful to avoid saying they would play together, Henry also mentioned that it would not surprise him if he and Micah Parsons ended up playing together in Athens. They have apparently become very good friends. We shall see.

UGA has a great history with getting players out of north carolina. :)

"It feels great to be committed to Georgia. I feel like it is going to be a great experience for me at Georgia and I cannot wait to start recruiting."

Smith already has some big names in mind that he plans to recruit to play with him in between the hedges.

"Trey Dean, Kearis Jackson, Marquez Ezzard, Justin Fields and Kyler McMichael are just a few guys I would love to play with at Georgia," Smith said. "I have spent a lot of time with those guys and I will now be talking to them about Georgia.

"Some of those guys are close friends and I will be working on them. I know Georgia is recruiting them all, I know Georgia wants them all and I hope I can help us get them."

Jake Fromm and Richard LeCounte were the leaders of the 2017 recruiting class that finished No. 3 in the country. Smith saw what they did and how they were constantly recruiting. He wants to take that role in 2018.

"I do not want our 2018 class to be weak; it needs to look like the one in 2017 did, so I am going to work hard to help with that," Smith said. "I am going to try to recruit some guys. I want to become that leader and I will do all I can to help us get the right guys that put Georgia in position to win a national championship.

"I cannot wait to get there and to play with and against the best players in the country. I want to get others top players excited about Georgia the way I am."

https://n.rivals.com/news/georgia-keeps-top-cb-home-chris-smith-commits

95Dawg likes this

Dean has also said in an interview that he believes that he can be a "Richard Lecounte type" recruiter and leader for the 2018 class, like Lecounte was for the 2017 class, that is, as soon as he decides what school he's going attend anyway.

I've said before, that one of, if not our biggest, weakness in this class is the lack of a leader. Unless/until you're an Alabama/OSU/and I guess now Clemson type school, where you're perceived as a perennial winner/contender, that prospects want to go to, even just for that reason alone, if you want a top class, you need leaders. Coaches can only do/say so much. Having guys your own age, who you respect, answering these questions, and telling you that a school is legit, can really go a long way. You need to have more than just "some guys" (for lack of a better way to say it). You need kids who have made their decision, are unwavering, and are truly 100% sold on your program, that both want to be there, and want their friends to be there too. If we can get some of those types committed, than this class may start looking up.

I love that list btw. Dean is sorely needed for reason of above (plus talent obviously), and if the coaches perceive him the same way, then that goes a long way as to explaining a large part of why he's been so heavily prioritized in this class. Jackson, imo, is simply the best WR in GA for 2018. The kid is just explosive. Ezzard, while I like Jackson just a tad better, is also really amazing, and, just like with Holloman the year before, I'm fully expecting his rating to skyrocket before NSD. Landing him of course, could also go a long way toward keeping Cox home. Fields, well, that should go without saying. We neeeeeeed him, period, end of story. McMichael, lastly, I've already spoken on before. I absolutely love this kid's tape. IMO, he's the best DB, and the best RB, both, in GA, for 2018. I really hope we can get him, but I also have no feel for him whatsoever. His entire recruitment is a mystery to me.

3 hours ago, PIGismyhomeboy said:

UGA offer is in for Fitzgerald ATH James Graham. 

Very excited man he got that offer. :)

On 5/5/2017 at 10:41 PM, SacFalcFan said:

Very excited man he got that offer. :)

Good to see that. Fitzgerald is 8 miles from my home town Ocilla. My brother and his wife live in Fitzgerald and watch every game. So very excited for this kid.

12 hours ago, Wardog357 said:

Good to see that. Fitzgerald is 8 miles from my home town Ocilla. My brother and his wife live in Fitzgerald and watch every game. So very excited for this kid.

I would love to see him in person.. his video is amazing.. one of the best athletes in georgia and we are in need for for a qb with his abilities imo. 

3 hours ago, PIGismyhomeboy said:

ATH

Thou worthy swine, king of all meats, do you think he can develop the accuracy to be a D-1 QB? Really, thanks for coming by and dropping insight. We appreciate you and I would love to hear whether or not you think Graham can develop into a SEC QB...

29 minutes ago, mike teevee said:

giphy.gif

Actually I don't know if it is even that exciting. Maybe the pic without the tumbleweed right now. 

Chaney was in Utah checking in on QB Cammon Cooper.

Not much is going to happen imo until we get into the season. We could probably just have an offseason thread at the rate we are going.

On 5/7/2017 at 11:43 PM, itsjustafleshwound said:

Thou worthy swine, king of all meats, do you think he can develop the accuracy to be a D-1 QB? Really, thanks for coming by and dropping insight. We appreciate you and I would love to hear whether or not you think Graham can develop into a SEC QB...

I do think he has the tools to be an SEC QB. I do, however, think he has greater potential in other areas. His offer with UGA is as an ATH. That said, they are not pursuing him primarily at QB. They are thinking DB first with options at WR and RB while talking about packages as a wildcat QB. 

CBs coming in since for this one are very mixed.

JC Shurburtt and Tom Loy already had CBs in for Auburn, and since this tweet, Kipp, Kieth Niebuhr, and Andrew Ellis have followed suit.

Interestingly however, since then, Steve Wiltfong, David Johnson, Gus Ramos, Jesse Johnson, and Alex Gleitman, have all put in CBs for UGA.

3* DT Tramel Walthour (Lecounte's former teammate)

has also had 5 CBs to UGA drop within the last roughly 24 hrs, including Kipp, Jake, and Rusty.

95Dawg likes this

Man, I tell you, if McGee successfully brings in White and Teague for 2018, then two things need to happen.

First, pay this man. After last year, and then this...pay that man whatever the **** he wants; just keep him at UGA. (obviously a bit of hyperbole there, but I'm serious about him needing a raise, and keeping him here)

Second, with him being set and done (other than keeping these guys in the fold) for 2018, and with him more able to focus on RBs in 2019 and beyond, I agree with what I read from another site; get this man another assignment. Give him something like Justin Fields or some ****, and let him work his magic, b/c this guy is legit.

Teague told 247Sports earlier this week that his commitment will come very soon.

"Approximately one month or within a month," Teague said. "I may have a specific date soon. My family and I will be talking about that this week."

Teague is not expected to take any more trips before that announcement. He visited Georgia in March and again on April 14, and sees scheme fit, running back production, and how personable the coaching staff is as major factors in his decision.