Smiler11

2018 Draft Prospects

72 posts in this topic

Love it or hate it, the Falcons 2017 draft is in the books, who's on your watch lists for 2018. Here are some guys I'll be keeping an eye on...

Edge

Arden Key, LSU

Harold Landry, Boston College

Marquis Haynes, Ole Miss

Sam Hubbard, Ohio State

Porter Gustin, USC

Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State

Lorenzo Carter, Georgia

Dorance Armstrong Jr, Kansas

Jaylon Ferguson, Louisiana Tech 

1 techs

Vita Vea, Washington

Da'Ron Payne, Alabama

Lowell Lotulelei, Utah

3/5 techs

Christian Wilkins, Clemson

Derrick Nnadi, Florida State

Maurice Hurst, Michigan

Andrew Brown, Virginia

FS

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama 

Jordan Whitehead, Pittsburgh

Derwin James, Florida State

Brandon Bryant, Mississippi State

Evan Berry, Tennessee

Tony Brown, Alabama

Jonathan Abram, Mississippi State

Off-Ball Linebackers

Malik Jefferson, Texas

Kendall Joseph, Clemson

Josey Jewell, Iowa

Jordan Williams, East Carolina

Interior OL

Mason Cole, Michigan 

Will Clapp, LSU

Austin Golson, Auburn

Martez Ivey, Florida

Braden Smith, Auburn

Frank Ragnow, Arkansas

RB

Derrius Guice, LSU

Saquon Barkley, Penn State

Nick Chubb, Georgia

Sony Michel, Georgia

Kalen Ballage, Arizona State

WR

Courtland Sutton, SMU

Calvin Ridley, Alabama

Equanimeous St. Brown, Notre Dame

A.J. Brown, Ole Miss

QB (Probably not a need, but this class is stacked)

Sam Darnold, USC

Josh Rosen, UCLA

Josh Allen, Wyoming 

Jake Browning, Washington

Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

Jarrett Stidham, Auburn

Riley Ferguson, Memphis

Luke Falk, Washington State

Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Derrick Nnadi and Vita Vea on defense. Two guys I wanted to come out this year, but they stayed in school.

Deon Cain interesting WR. All NFL drafted out though.

2 hours ago, datchrisb1 said:

Evan Berry Tennessee 

It'll be interesting to see if he gets some playing time at safety this year. 

Guard is a likely high priority need next offseason. Levitre is going to cost a ton against the cap while cutting him can save around $7 million so this may be his last season here. Plus RG is still a question mark.

3 hours ago, Psychic Gibbon said:

Guard is a likely high priority need next offseason. Levitre is going to cost a ton against the cap while cutting him can save around $7 million so this may be his last season here. Plus RG is still a question mark.

I think we will try and go with Harlow and Wes if we can. If Wes sucks though, then we might look at G early. I don't know if we will cut Levitre though

AEFalcon likes this

3 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

HelI yeah! I'm excited. Gonna start putting stuff together already.

That Brian Hill run in your signature is hella exciting....

Maybe there is a way to collaborate and organize tracking players.

Posted (edited)

Not sure of the players but looking at the roster right now, I'm interested in the lineman specifically OT and DT.  The OT for depth (Versatile/Swing OT type) and for DT one that can compete for playing time/possible starter. WR may be issue if Gabriel leaves and none of the other WRs distinguish themselves.

Edited by AEFalcon

7 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Love it or hate it, the Falcons 2017 draft is in the books, who's on your watch lists for 2018. Here are some guys I'll be keeping an eye on...

Edge

Arden Key, LSU

Harold Landry, Boston College

Marquis Haynes, Ole Miss

Sam Hubbard, Ohio State

Porter Gustin, USC

Tyquan Lewis, Ohio State

Lorenzo Carter, Georgia

1 techs

Vita Vea, Washington

Da'Ron Payne, Alabama

Lowell Lotulelei, Utah

3/5 techs

Christian Wilkins, Clemson

Derrick Nnadi, Florida State

FS

Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama 

Jordan Whitehead, Pittsburgh

Derwin James, Florida State

Brandon Bryant, Mississippi State

Off-Ball Linebackers

Malik Jefferson, Texas

Kendall Joseph, Clemson

Josey Jewell, Iowa

Interior OL

Mason Cole, Michigan 

Will Clapp, LSU

Austin Golson, Auburn

Martez Ivey, Florida

Smiler, nice list! A guy worth adding to your list as Interior OL is Braden Smith, 6-6/303 Auburn. It was reported he was the strongest guy on the team as a Freshman. 27 consecutive starts (played in 38 of 39 games at AU), mostly at Right Guard but can move....plays TE on Jumbo Package.  Freshman- All-SEC Freshman team. Sophomore - AP 2nd team All-SEC; Junior- All American 3rd team/ALL-SEC 1st team.  Projected by ESPN as All American this year.  Guards are not high on my list for the Falcons but if we get one, he would be nice addition.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/braden_smith_907492.html

Smiler11 likes this

29 minutes ago, Jerry Maguire said:

That Brian Hill run in your signature is hella exciting....

Maybe there is a way to collaborate and organize tracking players.

Seriously, dude hits a guy so hard he takes another player to the ground.

And I'm sure there is...just don't think TATF in general can be arsed to collab with how busy everyone tends to be, lol.

Derwin James would be the perfect player here. However I don't think we have the ammo to trade up from 32 to the top 10.

Em_Jae20 likes this

Way, way, waaay, too early, since we haven't even had any offseason work, much less a preseason game, to project needs, but, having said that, right now, I'd be leaning toward interior DL/"Big End" prospects, and possibly FS. Poe, and Hageman both are FAs, with Jarret about to enter his contract year, with Clayborn also heading to FA, so it lines up perfectly to tackle that part of the defense next. Allen, meanwhile, still has no real depth behind him, and is a RFA next year, so since we didn't address that this year, next year becomes increasingly likely. I can't really see any other position that screams "1st pick" to me, though there are multiple who we could add upgrades/depth at.

Vandy and Falcan Moore like this

2 hours ago, hjerry said:

Way, way, waaay, too early, since we haven't even had any offseason work, much less a preseason game, to project needs, but, having said that, right now, I'd be leaning toward interior DL/"Big End" prospects, and possibly FS. Poe, and Hageman both are FAs, with Jarret about to enter his contract year, with Clayborn also heading to FA, so it lines up perfectly to tackle that part of the defense next. Allen, meanwhile, still has no real depth behind him, and is a RFA next year, so since we didn't address that this year, next year becomes increasingly likely. I can't really see any other position that screams "1st pick" to me, though there are multiple who we could add upgrades/depth at.

It's never too early. Scouting isn't a yearly event it's a continuous process. I also find the earlier you start watching tape on players the less likely you are to be influenced by others.

I didn't really want to emphasise position groups but rather players I'm interested in seeing develop this year, but I did tend to levitate towards positions I spent a lot of time watching tape on last year. A bunch of guys on this list I was hoping would declare early.

7 hours ago, AEFalcon said:

Smiler, nice list! A guy worth adding to your list as Interior OL is Braden Smith, 6-6/303 Auburn. It was reported he was the strongest guy on the team as a Freshman. 27 consecutive starts (played in 38 of 39 games at AU), mostly at Right Guard but can move....plays TE on Jumbo Package.  Freshman- All-SEC Freshman team. Sophomore - AP 2nd team All-SEC; Junior- All American 3rd team/ALL-SEC 1st team.  Projected by ESPN as All American this year.  Guards are not high on my list for the Falcons but if we get one, he would be nice addition.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/braden_smith_907492.html

Added. Smith was actually a guy I was hoping would declare last year

AEFalcon likes this

3 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

It's never too early. Scouting isn't a yearly event it's a continuous process. I also find the earlier you start watching tape on players the less likely you are to be influenced by others.

I didn't really want to emphasise position groups but rather players I'm interested in seeing develop this year, but I did tend to levitate towards positions I spent a lot of time watching tape on last year. A bunch of guys on this list I was hoping would declare early.

My point is that, for us, we really can't project needs right now, at least very well, as things will change so drastically between now and even after just the preseason. It happens so often that what we view as a need, isn't, or isn't as much, and what we think isn't, is determined to be a need, based on what our current stable of players is able to do, or not do, out on that field.

Scouting and film watching can be done at any time, but there's a reason that I wait until after preseason to put out a mock draft.

I'm not criticizing your thread at all, but rather (attemptedly humorously) commenting on how things change from one year to the next, as far as projections. 

15 hours ago, Colin_Pernett said:

Derwin James would be the perfect player here. However I don't think we have the ammo to trade up from 32 to the top 10.

Derwin James is a Jamal Adams type of safety. A guy who can do it all. He is coming of knee surgery so who knows where he ends up at this point.

Falcan Moore likes this

I see DT and OT as priorities.  Of course, we will have to see if any will be worthy of our picks.  

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Smiler11 said:

Derwin James is a Jamal Adams type of safety. A guy who can do it all. He is coming of knee surgery so who knows where he ends up at this point.

James1.gif

he was insane as a true freshman though.

JamesPassD1.gif

He's a special talent.

Edited by Colin_Pernett

Could go DT early, but the guy I'm watching this year is FS Chris Hawkins USC. Played for Sarkisian and is very smart and the leader of their secondary.

On 5/1/2017 at 11:03 PM, tl;dr said:

I think we will try and go with Harlow and Wes if we can. If Wes sucks though, then we might look at G early. I don't know if we will cut Levitre though

We won't let ourselves go into 2018 with 2 holes at OG. If we have a legit long term solution at RG this year in Schweitzer or Harlow, I think we cut Levitre, and get one in the draft... unless both Harlow and Schweitzer look like long time players.

DT Da'Ron Payne AL was coached by Bo Davis. Davis was assistant DL coach under DQ in Miami. Payne was the guy I would see when watching Dalvin Tomlinson because I couldn't tell if it was #94 or #54 sometimes. Payne is pretty good.

Posted (edited)

It's early...

2018 Free Agents: Dontari Poe, Adrian Clayborn, Matt Bryant, Taylor Gabriel, Kemal Ishmael, Andre Roberts, Ra'shede Hageman, Courtney Upshaw, Blidi Wreh-Wilson, Ben Garland, Devonte Freeman, Hugh Thornton, Nick Williams 

I think its' possible that they put a lot of focus on retaining Poe, he's 26, if he has a great season I see them focusing on retaining him. They are going to retain Freeman but at the same time I don't think he's getting as much money as he wants.  The guys in red are the guys I believe are going to be gone. There not paying Gabriel as much money as he will command to be a slot receiver, same thing happened to Harry Douglas. Depending on how Devin Fuller does this season it would be hard to retain Roberts at the dollar he would likely demand. I simply see them moving on from Upshaw and Clayborn in general. The players in blue are on the bubble IMO. Depends on cap room availability, depth, etc... Basically, if we do retain Poe, I don't think we will be retaining Hageman.

Again, it's early, so early its' a waste to do this. Still gonna do it....

Players to watch:

1. Deontay Burnett WR- USC (I think they invest in the offensive skill positions, specifically WR early) 

2. Trey Adams OT- Washington (Depending on how Knappe performs this season as well as Jake Matthews, they might invest a top 3 pick at tackle.)

3. Derrick Nnadi DT/DE- Florida ST (if we lose both Hageman and Upshaw they may double up on inside out guys on defense)

4. Curtis Cothran DT/DE- Penn State (Put a pen in this guy after seeing either the Michigan or Michigan State game. Played pretty good)

5. Lowell Lotuelelei DT- Utah (Honestly would be perfect in our one gap system but I don't think he's an inside out guy. Great pick if we don't retain Poe.)

6. Robert Foster WR- Alabama  (I just don't see us retaining our 2018 UFA wideouts)

7. Isaiah McKenzie WR- UGA (ditto....)

8. Devonte Boyd WR- UNLV (........)

9. Juwann Winfree WR- Colorado (edit1: Taylor Garbriel replacement, edit2: didn't know he was injured though)

Edited by datchrisb1