Jump to content

Crazy Kazee...The ball loves him!


Recommended Posts

Man, I loved this pick.  It hit me out of the blue!

I'm thinking wow, you talk about jacking up our competition at Nickel Corner & FS...

Will they let Kazee & Brian Poole compete for that Nickel Corner and then decide from there whose the Rico backup at FS??  

This dude is a ball magnet man!  Fearless, with 16 picks in last two years...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

2016:

INTERCEPTIONS INT
 
1. Rasul Douglas
 
8
 
1. Tarvarus McFadden
 
8
 
3. Malik Hooker
 
7
 
3. Damontae Kazee
 
7
 
3. Tedric Thompson
 
7

2015

 

INTERCEPTIONS INT
 
1. Shawun Lurry
 
9
 
2. Desmond King
 
8
 
2. Jamar Summers
 
8
 
2. Damontae Kazee
 
8
 

5. Latrell Gibb

 
 

7

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget the original plan, last year, to bring in Collins and move Alf inside to nb for our Nickel package. Still probably our top 3 cbs on the roster. I think they're hoping Kazee works out at FS. Nickel back was not a need for us, and the staff seems high on Goodwin too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Guy has insane ball skills. Would love to see him move to FS and push out Rico, give us our Earl Thomas centerfielder.

Agree. I can see that happening after watching that tape on him. Not just great hands, but high-points the ball, is also excellent at out-maneuvering the receiver. Best of all, he's comfortable catching the ball while picking out open space to take it to the house. Very impressive. We got us a ball-hawkin' play-maker.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Kazee as a corner and believe if given the opportunity he would strive here.

lol at the people who called him slow and undersized. Malcolm Butler was called that too and he turned out decent.

Damontae Kazee

5'10 184

40: 4.54 sec

10: 1.56

Bench: 11 reps

Vert: 34"

Broad: 10'04"

20 yard Shuttle: 4.27 sec

3 cone: 7.11

-----------------------------------------------

Malcolm Butler

5'10  187

40: 4.62

10: 1.62

Bench: 13 reps

Vert: 33.5"

Broad: 09'10"

20 yard Shuttle: 4.27

3 cone: 7.20

In the video below Butler pretty much handled OBJ except for that one TD

Kazee would be a good NCB against the smaller shiftier WRs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, octoslash said:

Has skills, without a doubt.  Hard to say how he'll adjust to the highest level of competition, but I don't dislike what I see by any stretch. 

Agree.  Big difference in NFL QB accuracy and WR timing with their QB's.  That said.. some DB's just have a knack for positioning and angles which translates into a high level of INT's and Passes Defended.  I'm hoping he can make the transition.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Poe_Boy said:

I like Kazee as a corner and believe if given the opportunity he would strive here.

lol at the people who called him slow and undersized. Malcolm Butler was called that too and he turned out decent.

Damontae Kazee

5'10 184

40: 4.54 sec

10: 1.56

Bench: 11 reps

Vert: 34"

Broad: 10'04"

20 yard Shuttle: 4.27 sec

3 cone: 7.11

-----------------------------------------------

Malcolm Butler

5'10  187

40: 4.62

10: 1.62

Bench: 13 reps

Vert: 33.5"

Broad: 09'10"

20 yard Shuttle: 4.27

3 cone: 7.20

In the video below Butler pretty much handled OBJ except for that one TD

Kazee would be a good NCB against the smaller shiftier WRs.

Good point bro!  We took a winner & a playmaker man.  Just let the man compete and work.  His production with 17 Int's is sick w/ 16 in two years.  I thought he looked pretty fluid in combine drills too.  It's his long speed & size that are his only drawbacks in the nfl, but I thought his 40 time of 4.54 was solid.  

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000796412/Damontae-Kazee-2017-Combine-Workout

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree. I can see that happening after watching that tape on him. Not just great hands, but high-points the ball, is also excellent at out-maneuvering the receiver. Best of all, he's comfortable catching the ball while picking out open space to take it to the house. Very impressive. We got us a ball-hawkin' play-maker.

Yeah remember the true job of the FS in Quinn's Defense is to the be deep guy and diagnose plays make call outs to D and make plays in front of him... The guy's got decent speed lil better then Rico coming out of College and sounds like his strong set will allow him to fit perfectly into a FS spot here... I'm not saying he's replacing Rico next year but it's a safety net no pun intended for them to groom a guy who could eventually replace him if Rico goes elsewhere or has significant injury

Edited by malak07
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jesus said:

Why does everyone hate on Rico so much?

I like Rico!  No hate man... We aren't in the old Smitty regime where comp wasn't really comp.  Now if a FA or lower round draft pick is selected, the best man will play... DQ style.  I'm pleased that we were able to get a potential gem such as Kazee in the 5th.  As a 5th rounder, he can come into camp and show them he is special... if not, then he'll be excellent depth.  Just like Jarrett, I love the potential of being a thief in the fifth round man!

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

I like Rico!  No hate man... We aren't in the old Smitty regime where comp wasn't really comp.  Now if a FA or lower round draft pick is selected, the best man will play... DQ style.  I'm pleased that we were able to get a potential gem such as Kazee in the 5th.  As a 5th rounder, he can come into camp and show them he is special... if not, then he'll be excellent depth.  Just like Jarrett, I love the potential of being a thief in the fifth round man!

I like Rico too and definitely seen growth in him last season in his role at FS and communication improve as year went on... I have no doubts Rico is the guy next year and he's got contract discussions ahead etc so this seems very much a future/insurance policy pickup for Falcons a guy that has the proper skills to excel at spot and can learn to eventually take-over job if it came to that

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, malak07 said:

I like Rico too and definitely seen growth in him last season in his role at FS and communication improve as year went on... I have no doubts Rico is the guy next year and he's got contract discussions ahead etc so this seems very much a future/insurance policy pickup for Falcons a guy that has the proper skills to excel at spot and can learn to eventually take-over job if it came to that

Especially looking forward to seeing more heat on the QB so our Dbacks will all shine even more this year hopefully!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be shocked if this guy is wasn't working at FS in OTA/Training camp if you read his scouting report compared to one Earl Thomas the strengths are very good matches Earl is slightly faster but both guys in college were recognized for their ability to recognize pass routes and where the ball was going and react to it... the only downsides to Kazee is points related to him playing at Corner-back and not key in regards to if played at Safety... We had talks in the Draft of Falcons needing to target a Safety at some point and we know we are have seemingly 5 spots at corner which are probably locked down, I think they picked this guy to convert to FS  and build that depth with guys who can play that role 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jesus said:

Why does everyone hate on Rico so much?

I don't hate Rico.  He is a credible starting NFL free safety.  That said I don't think we will be getting closer to an Earl Thomas with Rico.  Unless he has something we haven't seen, he is probably close to his ceiling.  His comp may not be any better but I think we now what Rico brings and need to know what these other kids can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...