Falcons D might be special...scary good!

Health notwithstanding, this has all the makings to be one of the scariest defenses this franchise has seen since the Grits Blitz days of the late-'70s. You have a Pro Bowl anchor in the middle (Poe), a pair of guys riding shotgun who shined in the postseason (Jarrett and Hags), the reigning sack leader (Beasley), and a back seven that's lightyears beyond what we had a mere 12 months ago. And that's before factoring in the higher draft picks (McKinley and Riley) and those returning from injury (Clayborn and Shelby).

As I've stated before, there are going to be a number of guys that might end up being cut who will be playing elsewhere, if not starting due to the sudden abundance of talent in Flowery Branch. The battles there might be more intense and fierce than what we see in preseason... 

Edited by ratesforless
10 minutes ago, BoomGoesTheDynamite said:

I'm too young to have watched defenses like the 'Steel Curtain' or the 'Gritz Blitz'. Not saying will be on that level (especially with what the rules are now), but if we could get anywhere close to that kind of nastiness..........

Like a lot of the old timers here, I remember the Grits Blitz teams quite well. No quarterback was safe when they had it rolling. Had they had even a token of offense much less the one Ryan is running now (they lost a game without giving up 100 yards), they would've laughed their way into the playoffs and beyond in '77 when they held all but two teams to under 20 points. They are regarded as the best statistical one-year defense since WWII and one of the main reasons why NFL rules were enacted in 1978 to help offenses put points on the board...

The Atlanta Falcons defense was the fastest most atlhetic and hunger D in all of the playoffs last year minus a quarter in a half where they just ran out of gas and it cost us... This year we've built on the depth of the D and hopefully can stay healthy cause when the young guys jelled their was no better play-making, aggressive D in the league at end of season alot to build on and this D can definitely be one of the best in league

Just now, newgafatboy said:

i cant wait to see Vicious Beasley and the boys get after some QB's

We've built the starts of one of the better pass rushes in the league along with getting athletic LBs that when they started getting experience and settled in have showed a big improvement on covering those short dump offs that killed us for years... we've greatly improved in that game and are cutting off one of the main tactics against a very good pass rush which is short passing game teams can't even get away with that now...

If you watch Beasley highlight reel and look to pick out that move the one that he truly excels in.... I mean you can't beat his speed but he burnt many a ol it seems with that Juke that speed he get's going full tilt has a Lineman back pedal or get stuck in tracks and just pops a Juke and the lineman is completely off balance and easy then to get a arm/body into the OL and turn corner to get to the QB... it seems one thing he really made a jump with is his decisiveness he done alot of dancing his rookie year it seemed and truly just didn't attack the lineman and that changed in year 2

Edited by malak07

The crazy game thing about all this is that I'm just as excited about the linebackers and even more excited about the secondary.  The speed and swagger at backer is going to make watching hits in the hole just as fun. The secondary with Truffaut back, Neil in year two and Rico fighting to make free safety low on the priority list next year will be a thing to see. The talent level is so high across the board on defense that the corner we drafted, a two years running defensive player of the year in his conference will not be forced into a starting role. If we can stop the run we should climb into the upper echelon of defenses. The stats may make us look worse than we really are numbers wise if we score as fast as we did last year but I think that as fans who have followed the team will notice a difference in overall play. 

36 minutes ago, manfam said:

The way Takk McKinley was fired up he might be the motivator to get the Defense going.  Don't start a rumor the QB was talking about his Grandmother. 

LOL. He is a fierce competitor by nature.  You cannot teach that kind of fire.

31 minutes ago, Falconsin2012 said:

The scary part is that this defense is still a year away...I suspect we will be a top 12 defense this year, but next year we are a problem (assuming Poe stays on to win back to back Lombardi's).

We added some serious pieces again.  Just depends upon how fast we get them rocking...

Nice thread Hash I mentioned this in a few other threads.I know how good we are going to be upfront I think we'll be in the 40 sack area this year.

For me though it's that LBing group that had me excited and the return of Trufant.We have a bunch of guys in that LBing group that all hit and all runnin the 4.5something range.You want to talk urgent athletes I'll say it now I think we have if not thee fastest but maybe the most physical defense in the league.