Unnamed scout compares Duke Riley with Kwan Alexander and Deion Jones

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, vitaman said:

If Riley and Debo came out in the same draft, who would you take based on measurables and on field production?

Debo by a mile. But I would have taken him in the top 10. Duke is very good but he's more a poor man's Debo than a clone. This isn't a knock against Duke because I think he will be very good and I love the pick, but I think Deion is a legitimate super star.

Quote I picked up from a interview of Duke around Combine the one thing all these guys share thru and thru is a competitive work ethic and toughness... all these guys just seem to love football and understand that for themselves to succeed it will be continually hard work

"the Combine was a grind, but my advice to someone if they were going is to stay away from negativity, negative thoughts. You hear guys talking about it saying, ‘Man they’re killing us throughout the process. Why are they waking us up so early? Why are they making us wait so long?’ Every time I heard somebody say something like that I tried to separate myself from them.”

Just now, Colin_Pernett said:

And you the most draft picks of any state this year. Or did he mean UGA?

I'm assuming he actually meant just programs in Georgia (UGA, GT, GA state, etc). But GA as a whole is a football state. A lot of talented players have and continue to be produced there.

1 hour ago, vitaman said:

If Riley and Debo came out in the same draft, who would you take based on measurables and on field production?

I'd say Debo, but they're still pretty different.

Debo is a bullet. His closing speed is arguably best in the NFL among LBs. Glides to the ball, diagnoses pretty quickly to go with his athleticism. Moves like he isn't even wearing pads, and leads by example. 

Duke is the gunpowder. Can't accelerate quite like Debo, but who can? He's still pretty crazy fast, but more controlled. Not knocking Debo's instincts either, but Riley has a better feel for the game. Smart. And passionate. A vocal leader, infectious guy who loves to ball.

Can't wait to see our defense playing with a lead. Force teams into the pass and then run fast as **** to the ball.

We basically stop the run on defense with our offense, so we focus our D to be a tad undersized but fast and built to stop the pass.  Our weakness on defense is going to be when our Offense can't score fast enough to force a team to abandon the run. 

6 hours ago, Falcan Moore said:

And we traded down for both of them. Brutal. They're going to compete with each other so hard. 

Don't wanna jinx it, but I remember before Quinn came we were all jealous of Carolina's embarrassment of riches at LB, especially Davis and Kuechly. ;)

I don't think debo/riley will ever be quite as good at causing turnovers as those two, but everything else....I think is fair to compare 

8 hours ago, J-Nice said:

true definition of #brotherhood. Him and Debo on the field together is like having two brothers on the same team. You fight harder when you're playing with your family.

And brothers sometimes have a competition with each other. If one steps up and does something great, it spurs the other to get in on the fun and do something greater. I could easily see them making each other better.

2 hours ago, WOR said:

I don't think debo/riley will ever be quite as good at causing turnovers as those two, but everything else....I think is fair to compare 

Debo was already almost on that level just in his rookie year. 3 INTs and a FF in the regular season, 2 of which turned into pick 6s. And an INT and FF in the postseason.

6 turnovers forced by a rook is great. 6 turnovers forced by a rookie linebacker, let alone any linebacker, is just absurd. Especially when he's a threat to take it to the house any time he has the ball in his hands. Dude had 200 yards on his 4 picks. TWO HUNDRED!

Not trying to get ahead of ourselves or anything but...dude was a DROY contender and I've heard a lot of people, on this board and off, already comparing him to Derrick Brooks. Not the talking heads yet (unless you count Kiper) but it'll come.

At first I thought the Debo comparison was just lazy journalism because they played at the same school, but I really see the similarities. They're both fast, athletic, fluid players with high coverage ability, who also have the ability to beat blocks with their speed. 

I've heard Riley has the ability to play up on the line as a SAM if needed... anyone else ever see him play in that way? 'Cause I haven't.