Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkbigdog35

Hawks Off Season Thread

189 posts in this topic

AWKS ASSISTANT TO COACH OVERSEAS

atl.png&w=110&h=110Neven Spahija is leaving the Atlanta Hawks to become the head coach of Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel), according to the Atlanta-Journal Constitution. Before he was a Hawks assistant coach for three seasons, Spahija spent over 30 years coaching internationally, including a stint with Maccabli Tel Aviv during the 2006-07 season.

5 hours ago, g-dawg said:

was looking forward to coming here to read all of your takes about Hawks new draft picks:

PF - John Collins, Wake Forest

SG - Tyler Dorsey, Oregon

PF/C - Alpha Kaba, France

instead of analysis I get...

crickets-chirping.jpeg

It's in the draft thread lol

On 6/21/2017 at 5:54 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

Kudos to the Charlotte Hornets though, as they may have just quietly made themselves serious contenders in the Eastern Conference by acquiring Howard.

That is some funny stuff right there. 

Just like he did in Houston, LA , and here?

The dude is a CANCER, regardless of his double-double abilities. 

24 minutes ago, Atlanta66 said:

And in the other thread you were saying that Collins will be a good compliment to DH..   :lol:

So many people cling on to this "he's a cancer" rhetoric.. 

DirtybyrdGA and wuskillzz like this

2 hours ago, Atlanta66 said:

That was the author's words and I didn't agree with his statement. Just posted the article for all to see.

John Collins selection marks a new era of player personnel selection for Atlanta Hawks

Sports Media 101 | Hawks 101  

Athletic, long, character, skilled…

These are the traits that Schlenk has said is looking for when it comes to targeting/selecting players. Traits that helped him build a potential dynasty in Golden State.

With the 19th overall pick in the 2017 NBA draft, the Atlanta Hawks selected power forward John Collins from Wake Forest University.

Collins’ selection by the Hawks represents the first draft selection in the Travis Schlenk-era, but he also represents something else: the beginning of a new philosophy when it comes to player personnel in Atlanta.

In the past previous regime (when coach Mike Budenholzer was in charge of basketball operations and Wes Wilcox serving as the GM), there were certain qualities that a player â?? at least in an ideal world â?? had to possess to intrigue the Hawks.

These are but a few: Defense, length, capable shooting, high basketball IQ, the ability to see and make a pass, moving without the … These are characteristics that are shared between the Hawks’ 2016 draft selections in the form of Taurean Prince and DeAndre’…

Drew4719 likes this

3 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

That was the author's words and I didn't agree with his statement. Just posted the article for all to see.

I know. Not digging at you. 

On 6/23/2017 at 1:42 PM, g-dawg said:

was looking forward to coming here to read all of your takes about Hawks new draft picks:

PF - John Collins, Wake Forest

SG - Tyler Dorsey, Oregon

PF/C - Alpha Kaba, France

instead of analysis I get...

crickets-chirping.jpeg

lol  good insight 

g-dawg likes this

Still work to do as Hawks determine direction of franchise

Chris Vivlamore The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

ajc | 4:34 p.m Sunday, June 25, 2017Atlanta Hawks

It’s time to get back to work.

Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk gave his charges in the front office the weekend off after the long days and nights leading up to and through Thursday’s NBA Draft. The pace does not slow after the brief respite. The free agency period begins this week. The Hawks also have an entry in the Las Vegas Summer League in two weeks that will include all six selections from the past two drafts.

The Hawks will have a much better understanding in the next several weeks of what the roster will look like for the 2017-18 season.

“Our goal is still to be competitive,” Schlenk said before the draft. “Being competitive and maintaining our flexibility, that’s still where we are. We are not in a rebuild phase.”

The Paul Millsap Situation hangs over the organization but will likely be resolved by the weekend. The league free agency period begins at midnight on July 1, when teams can begin contacting free agents. Millsap is the most prominent of the Hawks’ six unrestricted free agents. The veteran is eligible for a maximum contract, one that is now projected at five years, $201 million from the Hawks and four years, $149 million from another team.

Schlenk has said that Millsap might receive better offers elsewhere, an indication that he is unwilling to give a maximum contract. Millsap might take less, in term and/or money, to remain with the Hawks. However, the four-time All-Star is likely to get a maximum offer from another team. Sides can agree on a deal at any point after July 1 but no contract can be signed until the end of the moratorium period, shortened by a day to July 6 in the league’s new collective bargaining agreement.

The Hawks will also have decisions to make on their own unrestricted free agents. Ersan Ilyasova, Kris Humphries, Thabo Sefolosha, Mike Muscala and Jose Calderon will be free to reach agreements with another team. The Hawks will also be able to reach agreements with other unrestricted free agents.

The Hawks will be busy with a current roster that includes just one power forward in Ryan Kelly and one center in Miles Plumlee. If Millsap is not re-signed, there will be much work to do if the Hawks want to remain relevant while retooling the franchise.

There is also Tim Hardaway Jr.’s situation that will require a lot of attention. Hardaway is a restricted free agent and the Hawks have the right to match any offer he receives from another team. They must define the financial threshold they are willing to spend to keep the emerging player in the fold after he showed significant progress in his two seasons with the Hawks. A consideration in the decision is the $16 million due to Kent Bazemore next season, the second of his four-year contract.

In the new CBA, teams now have two days to decide to match an offer sheet signed by their restricted free agents with another team. The previous agreement called for three days. Players are also allowed to sign an offer sheet during the moratorium period from July 1-6. If Hardaway does so, the Hawks have until 11:59 p.m. on July 8 to match.

Schlenk and the front office have also been busy exploring possible trades. The Hawks dealt Dwight Howard last week and received Plumlee and Marco Belinelli. Schlenk has already fielded trade calls on each as well as others on the roster.

Both Millsap and Hardaway have stated their desire to remain with the Hawks but also said the will let their agents handle the options before making a final decision.

“This is my team. I’m an Atlanta Hawk still,” Hardaway said during his exit interview following the Hawks’ playoff series loss to the Wizards in May. “There is no other team right now. My mind and my focus is with the Atlanta Hawks.”

The Hawks will field a roster, standing currently at 13 players, in the Las Vegas Summer League from July 7-17. The tournament, with 24 teams consisting mostly of first- and second-year players, will offer another chance to evaluate recent draft picks.

Taurean Prince, DeAndre Bembry, Isaia Cordinier, John Collins, Tyler Dorsey and Alpha Kaba will all participate. Prince and Bembry were on the Hawks roster last season and Cordinier played in France. Collins and Dorsey will likely be on the opening day roster and Kaba will return to play in Europe.

The Hawks could also be looking to invite players from the Las Vegas league to training camp with several positions opening, including a third point guard.

The Hawks are scheduled to open training camp in late September with a shortened preseason and earlier start to the regular season. The Hawks will still have roster decisions to make by the start of camp but much of the work will be done in the next several weeks.

No matter what hawks do, it's going to be cavs vs Warriors, rumor has it that Cavs trying to trade for Paul George and get Carmelo Anthony.

Each Team’s Top Potential Free-Agent Target After the 2017 NBA Draft

Dan Favale

Bleacher Report | June 26, 2017

It's official: You are now free to do your "The NBA draft is over, so bring on free agency before the Cleveland Cavaliers and Golden State Warriors drain the mystery from another regular season" happy dance.

A lot has changed about every team's top potential target over the past couple of months. Heck, a lot has changed period over the past couple of weeks.

Indirect trade demands have been made. Other trades have actually gone down. Draft picks have turned into real live people with names and faces and tailored suits. Next year's salary-cap projection has fallen by $3 million, to $99 million, as first reported by NBA.com's David Aldridge.

Each team's best possible free-agency option will be updated with all of this in mind. Like usual, we will not scheme around wholesale changes that affect offseason approaches unless we know for a fact those roster-defining tweaks are inevitable.

Rumors, cap situations and depth-chart gaps take precedence in choosing every target, but the suggested player must also account for future plans—i.e. one team's intention to be more of an offseason player next year.

Atlanta Hawks: JaMychal Green (Restricted)

1 of 30

Scott Cunningham/Getty Images

Finding a free agent for the Atlanta Hawks to focus on was hard enough. Then they traded Dwight Howard to the Charlotte Hornets, further hamstringing our capacity to speculate.

Are they rebuilding? Do they just think they'll be better without Howard? Are they trying to clear the decks beyond next season so Tim Hardaway Jr.'s eight-figure salary doesn't sting as much?

Answers to every single question lie with Paul Millsap. Keep him, and the Hawks won't have cap space. Let him walk for nothing, and they'll have money to burn.

It's safe to bet Millsap is gone. New general manager Travis Schlenk doesn't seem keen on paying him market value, per the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Chris Vivlamore, and the Hawks are expected to explore sign-and-trade offers for their lone All-Star, according to ESPN.com's Brian Windhorst.

JaMychal Green looms as a good replacement if Millsap bolts outright. He's like a Millsap-Draymond Green lightweight. He switches everything on defense and doesn't need the ball to be effective on offense.

Signing 27-year-olds to pricey pacts isn't usually high on a transitioning squad's list of priorities, but the Hawks are unique. They aren't going to bottom out. They'll attempt to restructure while remaining a postseason steppingstone. Green's timeline fits nicely within that approach if, and only if, Millsap winds up elsewhere.

Collins hopes for hands-on lessons from Millsap with Hawks

AccessWDUN | June 27th, 2017

ATLANTA (AP) — John Collins has used Hawks star Paul Millsap's versatile game as a model for the player he hopes to become with Atlanta.

The big question for the Hawks: Will Collins have the opportunity to take hands-on lessons from Millsap, a free agent?

Should Millsap sign with another team, a Hawks roster that became younger with last week's trade of center Dwight Howard will become even more reliant on its nucleus of 25-and-younger players.

Collins, only 19, was Atlanta's first-round pick in last week's NBA draft. He immediately became a key member of the young core led by point guard Dennis Schroder and forwards Taurean Prince and Tim Hardaway Jr.

"I love it," Collins said Monday at a news conference. "... It's cool they have some younger guys on the team I can bond with a little bit. Obviously you get that chance to grow and the chemistry can skyrocket."

Schroder and Prince, who won a starting job late last season, are only 23. Hardaway, a free agent, is 25. Forward DeAndre Bembry, 22, and free agent forward Mike Muscala, 25, also could be part of Atlanta's rotation next season.

Collins, the 6-foot-10 power forward from Wake Forest, could immediately earn a starting role, either as Millsap's replacement or partner on the front line.
 Collins said he marvels at the way Millsap, a four-time All-Star, contributes in different ways.

"It's that versatility," Collins said. "You look at Paul and he's a great defender and can shoot the 3. His post-up game is there. He makes plays and can push the ball. You could see in the playoff games he was really close to triple-doubles most of the games. It's crazy for a guy like him who I would call a quiet killer. You're going to see it at the end of the game on the stat sheet. Just being as versatile as possible, using all his gifts."

Those are all reasons it may be difficult for the Hawks to re-sign Millsap.

Collins was joined Monday by two second-round picks, Oregon guard Tyler Dorsey and center Alpha Kaba of France. The three will play on the Hawks' summer league team in Las Vegas.

Dorsey, who described himself as "a gym rat for sure," can't wait for the summer league. He was eager to shed the red bow tie he wore with his white shirt and black suit so he could find a practice court.

"I'm a worker," Dorsey said. "It's hard for me to take a day off. If I take a day off I get paranoid, just feeling like I need to work because somebody might be out there working. I need to get in the gym and work on my game. I'm just addicted to the grind."

The draft class is the first for new general manager Travis Schlenk, who was hired from Golden State on May 25.

"When we started out this process, one of the things we said we were going to look for were high-character individuals and we feel like we hit a home run," Schlenk said.

Schlenk replaced Wes Wilcox, who resigned as part of the restructuring of the team's front office.

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer, who resigned as president of basketball operations after the season, sat in the audience during the news conference and posed for photos with the draft picks and Schlenk. Budenholzer, who indicated the day belonged to the draft picks, declined an interview request.