Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blkbigdog35

Hawks Off Season Thread

375 posts in this topic

This year’s Atlanta Hawks should still be fun to watch

by Ross Alacqua6 hours agoFollow @RossAlacqua

Soaring Down South  

When teams go into rebuild mode, like the Atlanta Hawks have, it’s typically not the most exciting time for their fans. It often times leads to a less-than-desirable brand of basketball on the court.

Despite the likelihood of fewer wins, the Atlanta Hawks’ young core, Coach Bud’s system and potential upcoming front office moves are just a few reasons Hawks fans should be excited about the upcoming season.

Young Core

The Atlanta Hawks are clearly focusing on their young core of players. The roster currently stands at 14. Only two players on the roster are age 30 or older (Ersan Ilyasova and Marco Belinelli). Six players are under 25 and the average age for the team is 25.6 years. That should bring hope and excitement for the future.

Having a young core of guys like Dennis Schroder, Taurean Prince, DeAndre’ Bembry and John Collins provides a solid foundation to build upon. Schroder has established himself as, at the very least, a starting point guard in the NBA and still has upside to further develop his game. Taurean Prince showed flashes last season of being that true 3-and-D starter on the wing for a long time. His development this year should be fun to watch.

Both DeAndre’ Bembry and John Collins played well in Summer League and should factor heavily in the rotation this season. Bembry showcased his play-making ability and Collins exhibited NBA-level athleticism to go along with his scoring efficiency around the basket. Development of Bembry’s jump shot along with Collins’ adjustment from college to NBA competition will be key in how much impact they make this season. This being a rebuild season, they should have ample opportunity to contribute.

Coach Bud’s System

Last season saw a bit of departure from the traditional pace and space offense the Atlanta Hawks used in previous years. Much of that was due to the presence of Dwight Howard and his fit within the offense.

This year’s Hawks team looks to be a much better fit for Coach Bud’s system. You’ll see more 4-out and even 5-out offense with the dearth of capable shooters the Hawks can put on the floor at any given time. A 5-out lineup of Schroder, Kent Bazemore/Belinelli, Prince, Ilyasova/Luke Babbitt and Mike Muscala would create incredible spacing and give defenses fits trying to close out on shooters.

Without a true isolation post player, Schroder should have a field day getting to the basket to either finish at the rim, get to the FT line (which he needs to do more often anyway) or find guys on the perimeter. Fans should be excited to see how his game develops this season.

Prince, Bazemore and Bembry are tailor-made for the type of off-ball cuts DeMarre Carroll made famous a few season back. There should be plenty of ball and player movement on offense this season, making for an entertaining team.

Front Office Moves

Travis Schlenk has mentioned numerous times his desire to maintain flexibility with the roster. With an abundance of cap space and upcoming draft picks, fans should look forward to watching the front office leverage that flexibility. Whether that means packaging those picks in a trade, using their cap space next year in free agency or the dozens of other options available, it’ll be interesting to watch everything unfold.

After 10 straight playoff appearances, you could argue the Atlanta Hawks haven’t gone through a tried-and-true rebuild in a quite a while. I might suggest Danny Ferry was attempting a rebuild when he started as GM. It just so happened the Hawks made the playoffs with 38 wins in the 2013-14 season and then won 60 games the following year.

It seems likely the Hawks are headed for a season where their win total might not reach 30. However, that doesn’t mean this team won’t be fun to watch. Plus, it’s always fun to root for a team with players that have a good reputation off the court as well.

Drew4719 likes this

6 road games to start the season - thanks NBA.  

Denver and Millsap is the 1st home game.

I was expecting something a little bigger, but I see Dr. Oz is involved so I guess that's a little something.

Atlanta Hawks draftee Isaia Cordinier to remain overseas, per report

by Jeff Siegel Aug 18, 2017, 12:23pm EDT

Peachtree Hoops  

The Hawks’ 2016 second-rounder will not be joining Atlanta’s G League affiliate.

Per a report from the AJC’s Chris Vivlamore, 2016 second-round pick Isaia Cordinier will not be coming to the United States to continue his basketball career in 2017-18. Cordinier and his agent had made some noise about wanting to join the Erie Bayhawks, the Hawks’ G League affiliate, but Atlanta GM Travis Schlenk has reportedly decided not to offer him that opportunity.

Cordinier is a free agent after playing last season in France for Antibes and it remains to be seen which European team picks him up. To this point, he has spent his entire five-year professional career in France.

Cordinier has joined the Hawks’ Summer League team each of the last two years, but failed to impress in his initial NBA appearances in Las Vegas. Still just 20 years old, it’s possible that he’ll take the necessary steps forward to realize his goal of making the NBA, but at this point it seems rather unlikely that Cordinier will have an impact in the United States anytime soon.

© 2017 Vox Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved Sports data © STATS 2016

Hawks signing Cook to two-year contract

Amico Hoops  

Free agent point guard and former G-League Rookie of the Year Quinn Cook has agreed to a two-year contract with the Atlanta Hawks, Cook’s agent told The Vertical.

According to the report, the deal is partially guaranteed.

Cook, 23, debuted in the NBA last season, appearing in 14 games — nine with the New Orleans Pelicans, and five with the Dallas Mavericks. He has compiled NBA averages of 5.6 points and 1.9 assists per game.

Fifth-year man Dennis Schroder was the lone true point guard on the Hawks’ roster prior to the Cook signing. The Hawks are expected to invite at least one more point guard to training camp next month.

Along with gaining G-League rookie honors with the Canton Charge in 2016, Cook was named to the All-Defensive first team in 2016 and ’17, and won the G-League All-Star Game MVP.

He went undrafted in 2015 after winning a national championship with Duke, then attended training camp with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Drew4719 likes this

ATLANTA HAWKS DEEMED UNWATCHABLE BY NEW RANKING

Author: Kristen Reed Published: 08/22/17

WXIA | 8/22/2017 4:46:07 PM

In a CBS Sports article that hopes to help NBA fans choose which teams to select on the League Pass, the Atlanta Hawks are deemed unwatchable.

The list is based off of three criteria, how often they're on National TV, if they're fun to watch on the floor and if the team is fun to follow.

Our Atlanta Hawks are ranked dead last, completely unwatchable. They cite Paul Millsap's departure and say "this is the start of a rebuild, so just avoid the Hawks in any form.

At the top of the list are the Bucks, 76ers and Pelicans. The 2017 NBA National Champions, The Golden State Warriors, are ranked 18th. So, success level is not the driver of this list.

We want to know how you feel. Vote in this 11Alive poll: Do you think the Hawks are an unwatchable team?

© 2017 WXIA-TV. All Rights Reserved.

So what :golfclap:the real fans will tune in. :D

Hawks' Miles Plumlee Arrested for Marijuana Possession in New York

Scott Polacek

Bleacher Report | September 5, 2017

Atlanta Hawks big man Miles Plumlee was arrested on a charge of marijuana possession in August.

Veteran NBA reporter Peter Vecsey (h/t Michael Cunningham of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution) broke the news. Police records obtained by the (h/t Yahoo Sports' Ben Rohrbach) confirmed the arrest and noted he was Plumlee "posted $100 cash bail" after the arrest in New York.

"We are aware of the situation involving Miles," the Hawks said in a statement, via Cunningham. "We are in the process of gathering more information and will have no further comment at this time."

Rohrbach explained the NBA's collective bargaining agreement still features marijuana on its list of banned substances, meaning players face the marijuana treatment program after a first violation. According to Rohrbach, a second violation can lead to a $25,000 fine, while a third can lead to a five-game suspension.

The HawksacquiredPlumlee during the offseason as part of the package they received from the Charlotte Hornets in the Dwight Howard trade.

He played 45 games for the Hornets and Milwaukee Bucks last season and averaged 2.5 points and 2.1 rebounds per game.

Do the Atlanta Hawks have ‘the most challenging rebuild’ in the NBA?

by Brad Rowland@BTRowland Sep 8, 2017, 12:00pm EDT

Peachtree Hoops  

The Atlanta Hawks are rebuilding. Even if the front office (and namely Travis Schlenk) seems averse to using that particular word, the team tore down the roster from a playoff-bound team a year ago (and for a decade) in favor of a long-term outlook that builds around young assets, flexibility and a number of draft picks.

While that was a strategy that a number of pundits (including myself) agree with, there is unquestionable risk to a rebuild of this magnitude and it isn’t a move without downside. To that end, Matt Dollinger of Sports Illustrated recently included the Hawks on a list of the saddest rebuilds in the league and declared that Atlanta faces “arguably the most challenging rebuild” of them all.

The Hawks face arguably the most challenging rebuild in the league. The closest thing they have to a franchise player is Dennis Schröder, a player I'm not entirely convinced they even like. They have a few draft picks coming their way, and their 2018 pick should be a top lottery selection, but it'll be years before the Hawks are a relevant playoff squad once again.

They're paying big money to the likes of Kent Bazemore and Miles Plumlee and they don't have a lot of prospects worth developing on the roster. Atlanta will have cap room, but will they be able to attract any free agents? The steadiest franchise east of San Antonio is finally bottoming out. We'll let you know when they surface.

The jury remains firmly out on Schröder as a franchise centerpiece, though his palatable contract allows for a situation in which he is an asset without catapulting into a different stratosphere of overall contribution. As for the contracts of Bazemore and Plumlee, they are perilous but, in what seems like it could be a lengthy process, neither is fully prohibitive and Bazemore is, at the very least, a contributing rotation player even if overpaid.

Because the Hawks aren’t starting with an ideal centerpiece for the future, there is more risk to this particular rebuild than some others. With that said, Atlanta’s own 2018 first round pick is a premium asset at this stage and, in Taurean Prince, the team has a rare commodity of a player that can reasonably replicate average (or even above-average) production on both ends at a premium position.

At some point, the Hawks are going to have to hit on a draft choice that becomes a star player or get (very) lucky with the timing of a free agent wanting to arrive in Atlanta or a high-end trade piece hitting the market. Still, there are a few situations around the league that appear more dire than that of the Hawks and the next 10 months could be very telling in terms of the immediate future of the franchise.

© 2017 Vox Media, Inc. All Rights Reserved Sports data © STATS 2016

Dennis and Marco have been playing well and leading their teams in Euro bball.

Dennis and Germany have a tough task ahead of them playing Spain and the Gasol brothers.

Drew4719 and blkbigdog35 like this

Draft Lottery Reform will start in 2019, if passed.

"The number of picks determined by the lottery will increase to four, compared to three in the current system. This means that the highest lottery seed would receive no worse than the fifth pick, the second seed no worse than the sixth pick, the third seed no worse than the seventh pick and fourth seed no worse than the eighth pick. Under the current system, the first seed can receive no worse than the fourth pick and second seed no worse than the fifth pick, etc. The new system would begin with the 2019 draft, giving teams time to prepare and plan.
Drew4719 and blkbigdog35 like this

15 hours ago, blkbigdog35 said:

I really think that Dennis, Prince and Collins are going to make this an exciting young roster. I think Bembry is going to surprise as well.

Yeah, even if we only win 30 games, I don't see how this will be a "boring" team to watch.

blkbigdog35 likes this

7 hours ago, Drew4719 said:

Yeah, even if we only win 30 games, I don't see how this will be a "boring" team to watch.

I keep reading alot of preseason trash saying they will be second worst team in the NBA. I've seen some projections of 25 total wins. Regardless I will enjoy seeing the youngins play.

Drew4719 likes this

On 9/12/2017 at 8:20 PM, blkbigdog35 said:

I keep reading alot of preseason trash saying they will be second worst team in the NBA. I've seen some projections of 25 total wins. Regardless I will enjoy seeing the youngins play.

Wow!  The few remaining Atlanta Hawks loyalists here must be masochists. I have followed the Hawks since 1974.  This is, without a doubt, the worst Hawks roster I have ever seen.  Even during their 13 win season, they had a few recognizable players and potential stars (Harrington, Kenny Anderson, and Antoine Walker).  But this team...OMG!  If the NBA were not so out of kilter with super-teams, the Hawks would have trouble winning 10 games.  But since super-teams have drained the rest of the NBA dry, the Hawks may give an illusion of competing.

The day the Hawks let Danny Ferry go is the day the Hawks died.

Edited by bweb blapho

5 hours ago, bweb blapho said:

Wow!  The few remaining Atlanta Hawks loyalists here must be masochists. I have followed the Hawks since 1974.  This is, without a doubt, the worst Hawks roster I have ever seen.  Even during their 13 win season, they had a few recognizable players and potential stars (Harrington, Kenny Anderson, and Antoine Walker).  But this team...OMG!  If the NBA were not so out of kilter with super-teams, the Hawks would have trouble winning 10 games.  But since super-teams have drained the rest of the NBA dry, the Hawks may give an illusion of competing.

The day the Hawks let Danny Ferry go is the day the Hawks died.

Okay :golfclap:. You are entitled to your opinion.