Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

what better player could we have gotten than riley if stuck to second round pick?

61 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, ket222 said:

do difference of course   just having fun playing GM   basically two years from now if willis is great and our pick awful (or the other way around) we can say '**** why didn't Quinn pick my guy!"

if you'd been around here very long, you'd know this happens regularly anyway. And it doesn't always mean people understand or have the same level of 'he's a boom/he's a bust' anyway.

Until about halfway through Matts MVP season last year, there were constant threads/posts/comments "Ryan's a bust, we need to trade him, we need to get whatever we can out of him'

finally saw those go away for the most part last year. Now, watch close this year and you'll see some of it start back first INT he throws.

as for the original question here, I was going to post what HJerry said, but since he said it, I won't repeat it

14 minutes ago, hjerry said:

You have no idea what your scenario gains. We're already out of college ball.

How about we give these guys a chance, before we start assuming that you could've done better?

Um I don't know the players my scenario would have gotten when I clearly just listed them....<_<. Yeah, that makes sense.

I thought the point of the thread was to hypothesize. Please get off the high horse. I like our draft and trust Quinn, just stated I would have done differently.

5 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I just look at it as system fits. A pure talent might be better but not particularly for our system. Duke fits so within the system he may be better than player xyz that is better from a talent standpoint. Or popularity standpoint. This was my argument during the last years of the Smitty era. Guys didn't fit. 

Agree completely on system fit. Just not as sure about his talent. 

papachaz likes this

1 minute ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Talent matters. You cant use the minority cases and suggest they are the rule. By and large NFL players are not continuous offenders. Folks like you make the ones that make one mistake seem like career criminals with little more evidence than too much water in your urine. 

Not saying he won't make this a habit, just that we have to go on what we know for sure. And all I know is that he's a top 10 talent that would have been available @ 31 without a trade up.

Watch the "folks like me" nonsense. I think marijuana should be legalized, and I think it's criminal that it is currently NOT legalized at both the federal level and in all 50 states for medicinal purposes at a minimum. 

Gregory has well documented mental and emotional issues with depression and anxiety. I'm a lawyer, not a doctor, but I suspect he self-medicated with marijuana. In and of itself, as long as he is not harming anyone else, such as driving while high, there's nothing wrong with that. But the problem is, it's against NFL rules and he has pissed his career away. Could have set himself and his family up for the rest of their lives, but because of his issues, he has thrown it away. THAT is the problem, his issues keep him off of the field. 

Foster's issues never kept him off the field at Bama, and I hope they don't in the NFL. But he's not worth the risk IMO. 

4 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Talent matters. You cant use the minority cases and suggest they are the rule. By and large NFL players are not continuous offenders. Folks like you make the ones that make one mistake seem like career criminals with little more evidence than too much water in your urine. 

Not saying he won't make this a habit, just that we have to go on what we know for sure. And all I know is that he's a top 10 talent that would have been available @ 31 without a trade up.

Aaactually we do not know that. "Top 10 talent" is just a media term, and a media projection.

Once you're in the NFL, none of that **** matters, and once you're drafted, not in the top 10, then you clearly were not regarded, you know by actual NFL teams, as a "top 10 talent"

Culain_04 likes this

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Agree completely on system fit. Just not as sure about his talent. 

I think for what we do he'll be fine. Quinn likes those run and hit LB's. Plus he can cover so at WLB TE's are gonna have some issues. He can rush as well. Quinn will use him in a way that works with his skill set. And that's what I love about Quinn. What you do well he will feature it. 

39 minutes ago, ket222 said:

I just saw this comment:

duke riley, lb, lsu
grade: b
The Deion Jones pick last year worked out like gangbusters, so the Falcons went back to the well to pick up Jones’s former teammate—a player not entirely dissimilar from Jones himself. Nothing wrong with adding depth at linebacker, but Atlanta had much more of a hole at guard.

Perceived hole.  I think the team has a handle on that situation.  Still a lot of draft, udfa, and camp cuts ahead.  The "hole at guard will be filled.  We need a decent swing tackle, depth a FS, and maybe another receiving TE.  But most of that is wishful thinking. 

TheFatboi and Vandy like this

13 minutes ago, TheFatboi said:

I think for what we do he'll be fine. Quinn likes those run and hit LB's. Plus he can cover so at WLB TE's are gonna have some issues. He can rush as well. Quinn will use him in a way that works with his skill set. And that's what I love about Quinn. What you do well he will feature it. 

I hear ya on skillset,  kinda like he uses Rico at FS. 

Speaking of which...looks like you and I were right about FS. Bottom line is Quinn likes Rico a helluva lot better than board experts do.

38 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Not that enthralled with Riley pick, a lot of players I liked better. But he fits Quinn's system. Bottom line.....Quinn has earned my trust knowing who he wants so I'll go with it until proved otherwise. 

That's exactly where I'm at. I don't really have a desire to think about what we "could have done differently" because Quinn clearly knows what he wants/needs to run his defense. Each player he has drafted has worked out in his system. If Quinn gets his guy, then I'm happy. I admittedly wasn't the biggest Takk fan, but since Quinn wanted him and traded up to ensure he got him, I won't question the pick at all. I trust he will work in our defense 

Vandy likes this

53 minutes ago, ket222 said:

I just saw this comment:

duke riley, lb, lsu
The Deion Jones pick last year worked out like gangbusters, so the Falcons went back to the well to pick up Jones’s former teammate—a player not entirely dissimilar from Jones himself. Nothing wrong with adding depth at linebacker, but Atlanta had much more of a hole at guard.

If guard is a really big need, I don't think it would have been an automatic fix in the draft. Maybe we can get someone in FA

Culain_04 likes this

55 minutes ago, ket222 said:

I just saw this comment:

duke riley, lb, lsu

If guard is a really big need, I don't think it would have been an automatic fix in the draft. Maybe we can get someone in FA

18 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

That's exactly where I'm at. I don't really have a desire to think about what we "could have done differently" because Quinn clearly knows what he wants/needs to run his defense. Each player he has drafted has worked out in his system. If Quinn gets his guy, then I'm happy. I admittedly wasn't the biggest Takk fan, but since Quinn wanted him and traded up to ensure he got him, I won't question the pick at all. I trust he will work in our defense 

I certainly didn't see Riley coming.

And hey, at least you admit it JD. Some 'experts' here are now high-fiving the Takk pick when they were saying all pre-draft he wasn't a good fit in Quinn's D. Most wanted a trade up for Jordan freaking Willis, who Quinn  passed on not once but twice. I absolutely love the Takk pick. 

Most here have no clue the type player Quinn covets. 

JD dirtybird21 likes this

1 minute ago, Vandy said:

I certainly didn't see Riley coming.

And hey, at least you admit it JD. Some 'experts' here are now high-fiving the Takk pick when they were saying all pre-draft he wasn't a good fit in Quinn's D. 

Most here have no clue the type player Quinn covets. 

Yep, never even thought Neal was an option, and I thought we reached at the time. I figured Takk might have had a small chance, but still thought other guys were better. I was wrong on both. Neal not only worked out so well, but he's who Quinn actually wanted. I trust Takk will work out fine. Quinn has earned my trust 

Vandy likes this

Quinn knows more about his system and more about the available players in the draft. I'll defer to his judgement based on what he has accomplished so far.

10 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Watch the "folks like me" nonsense. I think marijuana should be legalized, and I think it's criminal that it is currently NOT legalized at both the federal level and in all 50 states for medicinal purposes at a minimum. 

Gregory has well documented mental and emotional issues with depression and anxiety. I'm a lawyer, not a doctor, but I suspect he self-medicated with marijuana. In and of itself, as long as he is not harming anyone else, such as driving while high, there's nothing wrong with that. But the problem is, it's against NFL rules and he has pissed his career away. Could have set himself and his family up for the rest of their lives, but because of his issues, he has thrown it away. THAT is the problem, his issues keep him off of the field. 

Foster's issues never kept him off the field at Bama, and I hope they don't in the NFL. But he's not worth the risk IMO. 

MD, as in homonymic abbreviated prefix for a guy who was an aspiring Family Medicine resident living in Maryland...

In any event the situation Gregory is  has no bearing on Foster. He is a much better prospect and until proven otherwise a better man. You can't judge Foster by Gregory's mistakes.

Vandy likes this

1 hour ago, ket222 said:

I just saw this comment:

duke riley, lb, lsu

I think Quinn and company have a better idea of what they have in house than some writer. Forrest Lamp was there if they wanted him.. they didn't pick him so that tells me that Schweitzer or Thornton has proven to be what they need. 

Vandy likes this

1 minute ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

You can't judge Foster by Gregory's mistakes.

I'm not.  I'm assuming your medical textbooks used these things called "examples." They're helpful in discussion.

Vandy likes this

None. We got the guy we wanted. They were actually surprised he was still there. They had several other targets if he hadn't been. They know what they are doing.

1 hour ago, mdrake34 said:

I'm not.  I'm assuming your medical textbooks used these things called "examples." They're helpful in discussion.

There's a point to your logic. A misleading point, but I guess it's a point. If a guy makes a mistake he can make another. The same can be said of a guy that had an injury. It's a logical fallacy to assume though that passed behavior is indicative of the future. It's a barometer, not an indicator. 

I think the opportunity to have a talented LB tauted as a Top 10 talent at #31 justifies the PERCIEVED risk. And again, this is a thread implicitly invoking hypothesis. There is little merit to the idea Riley and Foster are remotely clise in talent. We could slide Jones to WLB AND put Foster at MLB. That's devastating LB unit in sub packages. But as I said, I trust in Quinn.

We moved back 12 spots. From 63 to 75. And we picked up 2 extra 5th rounders. I do not think there was anybody taken off the board in those 12 picks that were worth more than Riley, let alone Riley plus an extra 2 picks in the 5th round.

James Bond 007 likes this

Both Tak and Riley should be staters by next season (maybe even earlier).  We have four more picks and if we can find an eventual starter within those picks, we will have had a successful draft.  

James Bond 007 likes this

2 hours ago, ket222 said:

I just saw this comment:

duke riley, lb, lsu

The two men that get paid to make that decision disagrees with that comment.

If TD/DQ wanted Riley he was the right choice

2 hours ago, TheFatboi said:

It's almost like they picked Riley up to match up with Tampa with Mike Evans, Brate and OJ Howard. That's a nice thing to have. Plus if Debo gets hurt he can man the middle.

I'm wondering  if we'll see more 3 "off ball" sets now with Riley in the fold?

James Bond 007 and TheFatboi like this

50 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

There's a point to your logic. A misleading point, but I guess it's a point. If a guy makes a mistake he can make another. The same can be said of a guy that had an injury. It's a logical fallacy to assume though that passed behavior is indicative of the future. It's a barometer, not an indicator. 

I think the opportunity to have a talented LB tauted as a Top 10 talent at #31 justifies the PERCIEVED risk. And again, this is a thread implicitly invoking hypothesis. There is little merit to the idea Riley and Foster are remotely clise in talent. We could slide Jones to WLB AND put Foster at MLB. That's devastating LB unit in sub packages. But as I said, I trust in Quinn.

Wasnt just mental stuff with Foster he has red flages on his shoulders that likly require surgery.  Anoher reason top 10 dropped to 31.  Similar to Myles Jack last year.