Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ket222

what better player could we have gotten than riley if stuck to second round pick?

61 posts in this topic

could we have gotten than riley if stuck to our second round pick and hadn't been moved back?  i'm not questioning the pick, just interested in people's opinion   I love that dimitrov tends to move UP to get elite talent and just wonder if we missed anyone we'll regret later

how much stronger is our linebacking core now, and will we be better able to stop opponents going over the middle like the patriots?

I would have liked to go Reuben Foster in the 1st w/o a trade up, keep the trade down in the second. Use the 5ths w/ our two 3rds to get Feeney and Willis/Rivers. 

do difference of course   just having fun playing GM   basically two years from now if willis is great and our pick awful (or the other way around) we can say '**** why didn't Quinn pick my guy!"

Slappywhite and Jerz #DukeSZN like this

I just saw this comment:

duke riley, lb, lsu
grade: b
The Deion Jones pick last year worked out like gangbusters, so the Falcons went back to the well to pick up Jones’s former teammate—a player not entirely dissimilar from Jones himself. Nothing wrong with adding depth at linebacker, but Atlanta had much more of a hole at guard.

4 minutes ago, ket222 said:

do difference of course   just having fun playing GM   basically two years from neven better is sayingow if willis is great and our pick awful (or the other way around) we can say '**** why didn't Quinn pick my guy!"

Even better , is saying , Wow I sure am glad we got Takk and Riley, we could have ended up with Foster and Willis, Quinn sure knows what he's doing .  Im an optimist  lol, I get what yoiu're saying . 

15 minutes ago, MD-FalconFan13 said:

I would have liked to go Reuben Foster in the 1st w/o a trade up, keep the trade down in the second. Use the 5ths w/ our two 3rds to get Feeney and Willis/Rivers. 

Instead, we got an SEC linebacker with superior athleticism and no mental/emotional issues, can sign him to a cheaper contract, and got extra picks. 

10 minutes ago, ket222 said:

do difference of course   just having fun playing GM   basically two years from now if willis is great and our pick awful (or the other way around) we can say '**** why didn't Quinn pick my guy!"

There is really no way to determine that, if Willis becomes a stud there is nothing to say he would be a stud here. He could have a catastrophic injury in his first season that makes him a remnant of  his former self, and never become the same player here. Or maybe the scheme he's in fits like a glove and here he's a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

We're talking alternative reality stuff when trying to project what players would do other places.

Tom Brady if drafted to the Browns would have been a footnote in football history.

James Bond 007, hjerry and don l like this

Not that enthralled with Riley pick, a lot of players I liked better. But he fits Quinn's system. Bottom line.....Quinn has earned my trust knowing who he wants so I'll go with it until proved otherwise. 

mtldirtybird likes this

20 minutes ago, hjerry said:

None

Riley was the pick all along. We just got extra picks and got him anyway.

Quinn and TD already said so.

What are they going to say? "Man we screwed up, had no idea player x would available.""

8 minutes ago, mdrake34 said:

Instead, we got an SEC linebacker with superior athleticism and no mental/emotional issues, can sign him to a cheaper contract, and got extra picks. 

Bro, head case or not he's miles ahead of Duke Riley. And I thought Alabama was in the SEC too so what's the point? ...I also thought the extra points came from the trade down in the second not the 1st. So my scenario nets us the same two extra picks plus we'd keep the original 3rd we traded....all while getting a better LB patching the OG hole and getting a DE that can contribute immediately.

Jerz #DukeSZN and Vandy like this

2 minutes ago, tactician said:

What are they going to say? "Man we screwed up, had no idea player x would available.""

So are you just going to be an idiot/*** with every post that you make or what?

Just now, MD-FalconFan13 said:

Bro, head case or not he's miles ahead of Duke Riley. And I thought Alabama was in the SEC too so what's the point? ...I also thought the extra points came from the trade down in the second not the 1st. So my scenario nets us the same two extra picks plus we'd keep the original 3rd we traded....all while getting a better LB patching the OG hole and getting a DR that can contribute immediately.

You have no idea what your scenario gains. We're already out of college ball.

How about we give these guys a chance, before we start assuming that you could've done better?

1 minute ago, hjerry said:

So are you just going to be an idiot/*** with every post that you make or what?

How is my comment idiotic? When has a team even admitting they screwed up a trade or a draft? Not saying the falcons did, but quoting the brass about getting their guy does not mean they did for sure. We don't have their big board or anything.

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Not that enthralled with Riley pick, a lot of players I liked better. But still, Quinn has earned my trust knowing who he wants so I'll go with it until proved otherwise. 

I just look at it as system fits. A pure talent might be better but not particularly for our system. Duke fits so within the system he may be better than player xyz that is better from a talent standpoint. Or popularity standpoint. This was my argument during the last years of the Smitty era. Guys didn't fit. 

Vandy and Tim Mazetti like this

Just now, mdrake34 said:

Head case matters. It's breaking on twitter that Randy Gregory has failed his 7th drug test.

Talent matters. You cant use the minority cases and suggest they are the rule. By and large NFL players are not continuous offenders. Folks like you make the ones that make one mistake seem like career criminals with little more evidence than too much water in your urine. 

Not saying he won't make this a habit, just that we have to go on what we know for sure. And all I know is that he's a top 10 talent that would have been available @ 31 without a trade up.

Vandy likes this