Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

maorifalcon

Who are your day 3 Targets? - Falcons

129 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Quinn wants to play a NB Safety per previous articles posted , so why wouldn't Poole move to  Nickle since he's weak in coverage and does better next to line?

That whole B.S. about Quinn wanting to play a big nickel is just a baseless speculation by a writer named Tony Pauline who doesn't now squat about squat. Why do people believe the silliest little thing without a shred of proof, and then run with it like it's gospel?

Knight of God likes this

6 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

I'd really want a good FS but there just isn't a really good one left.  Tedric Thompson is a great center-fielder but dude can't tackle good enough or hard enough for this team.

I think you guys are getting too greedy. LOL. FS selection ended for me after Marcus and Budda. I can't understand why a crushing front 7 doesn't make the FS better due to a harassed /hurried QB? I realize Quinn wants a stud FS, but that is on hold right now. 

Being even more specific, here's our list of reported top 30 visits, with the two drafted, bolded, and those taken by other teams, crossed out.

So, going based on the posts in this thread, these are our (so far reported/confirmed) top 30 visits:

(Local visits are excluded as they don't count toward the top 30)

Cam Keizur OC Portland St

Justin Evans S Texas A&M*

OJ Howard TE Alabama*

Keionta Davis DE UTC

Tyus Bowser OLB Houston*

Budda Baker S Washington*

Takkarist McKinnley OLB UCLA*

Taylor Reynolds CB James Madison

Elijah McGuire RB ULL

Tarell Basham DE Ohio*

Eric Saubert TE Drake

Tanner Vallejo LB Boise St

Samson Ebukam OLB EWU

Chris Wormley DT Michigan*

Anthony Firkser TE Harvard

Dawuane Smoot DE Illinois

Duke Riley LB LSU*

There are also two players in Grover Stewart, DT Albany St, Mitchell Paige, WR Indiana, and Kareem Hunt, RB Toledo, who are listed in their reports with multiple teams, and the statement being that these are teams which they have either worked out for, or had visits with, so either, both, or neither of those two could be top 30 visits as well.

8 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Yeah, I think we're going to have to turn our focus to TE's, RB's, WR's, and OL's for the rest of the way. Maybe a backup safety, but probably not one ever capable of starting. Our front 7 on D is pretty full now, CB is full. So backup safety and offense are all that's left. 

I would really like to get TE Kittle in the 4th, but doubt he's there either. He's either the best or the 2nd best blocking TE in this draft, and is more of an athletic freak than Bucky Hodges.

Yeah, think this is most of the deal now.  Athletic TE, maybe a WR who can be a speedster, maybe a RB who can push Ward off, swing OT.  We have a couple spots (TE, OG) that could still get a lot of play even from a late rounder, and a couple more (RB, WR) that could really use some developmental guys to help save money going forward.  And we need OL depth.

2 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

That whole B.S. about Quinn wanting to play a big nickel is just a baseless speculation by a writer named Tony Pauline who doesn't now squat about squat. Why do people believe the silliest little thing without a shred of proof, and then run with it like it's gospel?

I agree. My understanding of Nickle and Dime was always played by Corners. 

Just now, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Quinn wants to play a NB Safety per previous articles posted , so why wouldn't Poole move to  Nickle since he's weak in coverage and does better next to line?

I am glad you asked. Now scratch that question. It doesn't go with the Cover 3. The 3, which I never used as a coach, has three permanent weaknesses. The left and right seams and the middle. They can be masked, but only if you play against QBs who love going deep, take longer drops, etc

Once the seams are exposed, they are best to hit late in the game with mismatches. The middle is easier to mask with fast LBs, but the only way to mask a seam is a FS with range and good recovery. Reaction is great, but can be used against a player without good recovery. Mostly range is needed. Its not like bend or twitch for an edge rusher. Its a necessity for this system. Unless Collins or Alford is playing FS, I don't know.

You see, now the whole league has seen that weakness. So Allen will be tested more often. He doesn't have the range or recovery unfortunately. So, we will beat teams with certain systems but I can guarantee you will be seeing more hits to the seams.

4 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

:lol:

My Day 3 Draft targets:

Desmond King, Eddie Jackson, Isaac Asiata, Carlos Watkins, Caleb Brantley, Jaleel Johnson, Carl Lawson 

1 minute ago, Knight of God said:

I am glad you asked. Now scratch that question. It doesn't go with the Cover 3. The 3, which I never used as a coach, has three permanent weaknesses. The left and right seams and the middle. They can be masked, but only if you play against QBs who love going deep, take longer drops, etc

Once the seams are exposed, they are best to hit late in the game with mismatches. The middle is easier to mask with fast LBs, but the only way to mask a seam is a FS with range and good recovery. Reaction is great, but can be used against a player without good recovery. Mostly range is needed. Its not like bend or twitch for an edge rusher. Its a necessity for this system. Unless Collins or Alford is playing FS, I don't know.

You see, now the whole league has seen that weakness. So Allen will be tested more often. He doesn't have the range or recovery unfortunately. So, we will beat teams with certain systems but I can guarantee you will be seeing more hits to the seams.

Props on explanation. Again, though, TD clearly felt 70% snaps with quality Edge was top priority. Elvis Patterson was a horrible FS for NYG in 1980s, nicknamed "Toast". Due to the Edge presence of LT and rest of front 7, his deficiencies were masked --even in SB. 

4 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

I think you guys are getting too greedy. LOL. FS selection ended for me after Marcus and Budda. I can't understand why a crushing front 7 doesn't make the FS better due to a harassed /hurried QB? I realize Quinn wants a stud FS, but that is on hold right now. 

Oh no.  I am not bothered that we didn't get a FS.  I am in agreement with you that Baker and Maye were the real gets.  I was just saying that Thompson has great range and ball skills but his tackling sux.  I do not want a FS taken with our 4th but TT is the only one left I would even consider.  Dorian Johnson, Kittle and Perine would be better picks in the 4th though.

Just now, Monolith2001 said:

Oh no.  I am not bothered that we didn't get a FS.  I am in agreement with you that Baker and Maye were the real gets.  I was just saying that Thompson has great range and ball skills but his tackling sux.  I do not want a FS taken with our 4th but TT is the only one left I would even consider.  Dorian Johnson, Kittle and Perine would be better picks in the 4th though.

I just wonder if Quinn sucks it up for another year with Allen due to a better pass rush? 

4 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

Props on explanation. Again, though, TD clearly felt 70% snaps with quality Edge was top priority. Elvis Patterson was a horrible FS for NYG in 1980s, nicknamed "Toast". Due to the Edge presence of LT and rest of front 7, his deficiencies were masked --even in SB. 

Again. Cover 3 works completely different. 

RandomFan likes this

Just now, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

I just wonder if Quinn sucks it up for another year with Allen due to a better pass rush? 

Definitely a viable option.  Allen has never been bad at FS.  I just think we all know he is a far cry from Earl Thomas.  Budda and Maye (more Maye for me) could have come closer to playing that role but Allen has been competent and can continue to be so with an improved front 7.

BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

13 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

But you feel even a late round FS is a priority? 

2 minutes ago, Monolith2001 said:

Definitely a viable option.  Allen has never been bad at FS.  I just think we all know he is a far cry from Earl Thomas.  Budda and Maye (more Maye for me) could have come closer to playing that role but Allen has been competent and can continue to be so with an improved front 7.

It was impossible to get a premiere Edge and FS with late order in all rounds, unless TD went Baker 1, then Rivers 2. 

Monolith2001 likes this

3 minutes ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

But you feel even a late round FS is a priority? 

Big Blue Wrecking Crew Cover 2. 

If you can get one with range or recovery. 

Just now, Knight of God said:

Big Blue Wrecking Crew Cover 2. 

If you can get one with range or recovery. 

Okay. I understand second sentence. Elaborate on first. Cover 2 viable if FS weak as a  Single High?

1 minute ago, BIRDLAND 2.0 said:

It was impossible to get a premiere Edge and FS with late order in all rounds, unless TD went Baker 1, then Rivers 2. 

Completely agree.  I went into this draft with eyes wide open and knowing that we are in a special place based on last season and limited picks.  I would not have lost my mind if we dug into next year's draft to go after a player we really wanted.  2017 and 2018 are the prime years for this team and I want difference makers more than bodies.

BIRDLAND 2.0 likes this

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

Thanks. Up through the 80s it was merely standard 2 corners with a WS and SS, Nickle (3 corners) one Safety, or Dime (4 corners) no Safeties. Tony Dungy comes along and I hear the name Tampa 2 and Cover 2 and I have been scratching my head since then. 

Cover 3 is the one where no other position in the secondary is as important as FS. If that position is exposed then you can basically spam. As long as you an take a hit and get the ball out of your hands you can get in a rhythm.

FS is an underrated position. Pryor, for example is a PERFECT, Cover 3 guy. If used in a form like ours.

56 minutes ago, Falcan Moore said:

I'd love Eddie Jackson.

A heads up btw, and this is directed at everyone - keep an eye out for us maybe trading down again and selecting Donald Payne with the later pick. Doubt we'd take him in the 5th since he's such a small school dude, but who knows. Dude is a big time Falcon fan almost no one seems to know about. Plays safety, 6'0 and 220ish lbs, freak workout numbers, lot of heart and passion for the game. Atlanta born and raised. 

We put him through a personal workout according to an interview he gave a while back. 

The numbers:

6'0, 217 lbs
40 yd dash: 4.55
10 yd split: 1.55
Bench: 16 reps
Vertical: 37.5"
Shuttle: 4.35 sec
3-cone: 6.76 sec

If he isn't drafted, I 100% expect him to sign with us as a UDFA.

Moore did he play the free or strong safety position?