ESPN Purging Staff - 100 Writers & Reporters Cut

JayOzOne

Looks like the Worldwide Leader of Sports is going to have a trimmer operation in the very near future. This is what happens when you bite off way more than you can chew. Long-time Cowboys ball inflater Ed Werder was one of those released. Can't check to see if Vaughn is safe because he blocked me for no discernable reason two years ago.

http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2017/04/impending_espn_layoffs_could_reach_100_employees_r.html

ESPN layoffs: Who was fired today? | LIVE updates

ESPN
As many as 100 people could lose their jobs in the latest round of personnel cuts at ESPN. (AP Photo | David Kohl)

ESPN could look much different by the next time you turn on the network or look for an article from your favorite writer.

Due to changes in the sports media industry and cord cutting among cable subscribers, reports have surfaced in recent months surrounding an eventual scale back in Bristol, Conn.

The latest? Those cut backs could happen today, with even more jobs lost than originally thought.

Both John Ourand of Sports Business Journal and Richard Dietsch of Sports Illustrated weighed in on the number of jobs that could be lost, which is now in the triple digits.

Long-time NFL reporter Ed Werder announced that he's been let go by the network after decades of work.

According to Awful Announcing, ESPN president John Skipper issued a statement on Tuesday foreshadowing the moves.

ESPN has been actively engaged throughout its history in navigating changes in technology and fan behavior in order to continue to deliver quality, breakthrough content. Today, we are again focused on a strategic vision that will propel our vast array of networks and services forward.

A necessary component of managing change involves constantly evaluating how we best utilize all of our resources, and that sometimes involves difficult decisions. Our content strategy - primarily illustrated in recent months by melding distinct, personality-driven SportsCenter TV editions and digital-only efforts with our biggest sub-brand - still needs to go further, faster...and as always, must be efficient and nimble. Dynamic change demands an increased focus on versatility and value, and as a result, we have been engaged in the challenging process of determining the talent--anchors, analysts, reporters, writers and those who handle play-by-play--necessary to meet those demands.

We will implement changes in our talent lineup this week. A limited number of other positions will also be affected and a handful of new jobs will be posted to fill various needs.

These decisions impact talented people who have done great work for our company. I would like to thank all of them for their efforts and their many contributions to ESPN.

Our objective in all we do is to best serve fans and their changing consumption habits while still maintaining an unparalleled and diverse talent roster that resonates with fans across all our platforms. We will continue to foster creativity and investment in the products and resources necessary to embrace the opportunities that lie ahead.

Thank you as always for your continuing dedication to our work.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, SyCo said:

Vaughn blocked me too and I have no idea why.  I don't remember ever talking to him

So yea..

Hope he's fired lol

I've been blocked by him for years.

He's a tempermental little b*tch who doesn't like for people to question or call out his BS sports opinions.

I will say that ESPN has long since been behind the times. They're still stuck in the 90s. It's like they really think that they're still the "worldwide leader in sports" lol. Times change fellas, and information is readily available and for free all over, even from your own "insider" Adam Schefter (talk about competing against yourself lol). The "Insider" has been outdated for a long time, and their whole concept has long since needed retooling.

20 minutes ago, hjerry said:

I will say that ESPN has long since been behind the times. They're still stuck in the 90s. It's like they really think that they're still the "worldwide leader in sports" lol. Times change fellas, and information is readily available and for free all over, even from your own "insider" Adam Schefter (talk about competing against yourself lol). The "Insider" has been outdated for a long time, and their whole concept has long since needed retooling.

that may be true in some cases but the ESPN app is THE TRUTH for college football!!

Just now, JayOzOne said:

And basketball. I used to keep up with games on Saturday afternoons at work and I'm still watching games on their app.

man I live in Tennessee but I went to Valdosta State and I can always watch VSU games on the ESPN app, can't beat that.

27 minutes ago, JayOzOne said:

I'm a cord cutter. The traditional model for cable television better change quick or this is just the tip of the iceberg. 

That's done. This is the rapidly-accelerating fallout from people like you and I relying on non-traditional avenues for our programming. 

And I'll be honest, it's pretty sad. And it has some serious implications for the future. 

I think people celebrating things like this are missing the bigger picture. This evolving content market can go a few different directions but I think the more likely result will be that its going to cost us more to consume the content we like. 

24 minutes ago, VTCrunkler said:

Why would Schefter give out free content?  When I have wanted access to insider, I just come here. 

Good sports sites these days pay the bills, by having quality content with attached ad revenue. If you have stuff that people want to read, then they'll read it. You don't need to charge for the right to read it. People will just go elsewhere.