Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cole World

Cam Robinson

12 posts in this topic

I'm one of the ones NOT lobbying to draft an offensive lineman early, but I'm bracing myself for disappointment come draft night. I wanted Marcus Williams but he never garnished any interest from the FO. 

Somethings I keyed in on was comments and or rumors made. During TD and Quinn press conference they said "our first pick will not be a fan favorite". A majority of us want either a pass rusher or safety and not an offensive lineman.

The range where we are supposedly trying to trade up for is the range where this weak OL class will start getting drafted. As teams like the Broncos, Dolphins, Giants, Texans, and Seahawks are looking.

I keep hearing Willis, Baker and Lamp and how we are trying to get in front of the Giants cause they want Willis, but Giants has shown zero interest in Willis, not even an interview. The Dolphins who now is rumored to like Willis never worked Willis out and only met him at the combine and did a interview. Now a player who the Giants did privately worked out is Cam Robinson, but not Forrest Lamp. In fact the Giants showed no interest in Lamp. I will come back to Robinson at the end.

On to Baker. A single high Safety who can also play the slot cb position. Besides us the only other team that plays our scheme is the 49ers, Chargers, Jaguars and Seahawks, who already have Earl Thomas. Why would we need to trade up for Baker?

On to Lamp. Now that I know the Dolphins(22) and Giants (23) do not have any interest the next team that need help is the Texans, who by the way need a QB. That would leave Seahawks as the only other team that could possibly take Lamp. Why would TD want to get to the early 20's?

Back to Robinson. Knock on wood, but if anything would to happen to Jake Matthews we would be in trouble as I don't see anybody on the current roster able to fill his shoes. Where Robinson comes to mind is Giants wants to move Flowers to guard and reportedly likes Robinson. Sarkisian was on Bama staff and knows Robinson and what he can do. To Quinn, TD, and Pioli that's a win win can't miss prospect in their eyes. Robinson can fill the RG position and be Matthews backup at LT. If anybody knows anything about Sarkisian, he likes those big OT. Look no further than the two OT's from USC who is in this draft.

TD recently said we are not drafting an Angel. If you remember Robinson got in trouble for marijuana possession and having a pistol.

NFL Draft 2017: Atlanta Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff says team isn’t looking for "angelic souls"

Diggable Birds likes this

Im still hoping for a trade down, im not sure were  looking for a FS until The later rounds they seem pretty satisfied with Rico. Neasman looked  good in a reserve roll and on special teams. I think that Lamp and Cam Robinson will be gone before 31- if we could trade down and get Baker at say .....35/36 that would be a win.

I could also see us moving up to get Derek Barnett if he started to slide

msjacob25 likes this

Everything you pointed out is plausible. I honestly wouldn't be upset if they got Robinson. At this point I have no idea who the FO is targeting. I think the whole trade down/looking for Willis thing may just be posturing. The Falcons are so talented that I don't find it hard to believe that teams would draft players to simply block them, especially in our division.

As a Bama graduate who has watched every game Cam has played in college I am not so sure he can transition to guard. Maybe he can, but the game is much faster the closer you are to the ball and I am not sure how well he would fit inside. Not to mention he always, always, always was good for a False start or two in critical situations in almost every big game. It would not be the worst thing if we took him and they thought that we could move him inside, but I would be skeptical. I think his best fit is RT in the NFL which we already have covered. He is one tough SOB and always held his own against elite pass rushers (Myles Garret, Derek Barnett, Dante Fowler Jr,, Shaq Lawson, etc.). I would not be thrilled with the pick but I would not hate it either. These guys are paid a lot more than me to make these decisions

9 hours ago, Cole World said:

Somethings I keyed in on was comments and or rumors made. During TD and Quinn press conference they said "our first pick will not be a fan favorite". A majority of us want either a pass rusher or safety and not an offensive lineman.

Correction: They said it "may" not be a fan favorite

very different

Also, you pointed at how we've shown no interest in Williams, but then you mention Robinson as viable?

We haven't shown any interest in him either.

9 hours ago, Cole World said:

TD recently said we are not drafting an Angel. If you remember Robinson got in trouble for marijuana possession and having a pistol.

NFL Draft 2017: Atlanta Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff says team isn’t looking for "angelic souls"

I don't need to correct what was actually said here, since the tweet below already does that for me.

TD mentioned this in regards to a question about how we would deal with players with character concerns. He, in no way, said or suggested that we were drafting someone, especially in the first, who had any of said character concerns.

Oh, and we're not touching those USC OL with a 10 foot pole. They are absolutely the polar opposite of what we're looking for. Even Robinson is debatable at best, as to whether he'd be a fit or not. 

We're not changing schemes on OL. That much has already been said. We're still looking for smaller more agile ZBS OL.